Author Topic: At what price would you take Rondo back?  (Read 5194 times)

Re: At what price would you take Rondo back?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 08:30:52 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
There would be a " Fan Button". At every game

If Rondo coasts on defense

Fans get to electro shock him

Ha ha--and what happens when he rolls the ball up the floor before starting an offensive possession?

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 08:43:30 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I kind of figured that this is about the kind of replies I would get. But come on, if the summer was almost over and we added some talent already and we've got money left over, you wouldn't pay Rondo a few mil? Run:

Rondo/IT/Smart/Pressy
AB/Smart/Young

At the 1 and 2 to start the season and see where you are. If Rondo is playing well there are a lot of possibilities. If someone real good comes along we could trade Smart. If a team will give something for Rondo we can trade him.

5 or 6 mil for 1 year? Why not? It's not like he ever forced his way out of here, he never said bad things about Boston after and he was putting up crazy good assist number when he was here. Also that quote everyone throws around here about him not playing D is way out of context.

There are 2 real concerns:
1. He doesn't fit anymore. Yeah I agree. We are all set at the 1 and 2. But to take a chance that he comes back to star level basically for free? Why not. If Smart can beat him out give him the spot. If Rondo causes a problem trade or cut him.
2. He shows up when he wants to. While it gets exaggerated, it is also a fair criticism. But, If we can add some more talent over the summer and then get Rondo back he will care again because we are trying to win. I can understand when guys kind of give up faced with terrible prospects for the season. I still blame 'em but I understand it.

Just remember the reason for a lot of the Rondo hate last season is because you were thinking we might end up paying him max money.   

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't want guys that only care when we're good. There's a word for people like that....quitters. I gave him a very long rope understanding that it was a contract year for him and that he was saying a lot of the right things, but then they got rid of him and suddenly I saw a whole team of players that gave 100% all the time and never gave up no matter what and now that I have seen that I can never go back. If he wants to come back, fine, but he has to grovel and say "I WAS WRONG! I WAS THE PROBLEM! IT WAS ALL MY FAULT AND NOBODY ELSE'S! I WILL PROVE IT A THOUSAND TIMES OVER AND LEAVE NO DOUBTS AND DO IT FOR FREE! IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO BE A CELTIC! I AM NOT SMARTER THAN COACH STEVENS LET ALONE EVERYONE IN THE ROOM COMBINED!"

I loved Bledsoe too. Loved him. But there came a point where I didn't need him any more. Aaron Hernandez. It was great while it lasted. But don't ever come back. Don't write, don't tweet, don't call. Perk.  Loved him. But he's the enemy now. Revis. Very glad he was here. But he's a Jet now and he can be a Jet for a while. Clemens. He played hard and then he became an epic blankedy blank.

Rondo was loved but he loved us less than we loved him and now we have a great set of players and we don't need him to show them how to be supremely talented but too cool for anything.

Let him prove it somewhere else. Then we can talk. Till then he gets an offer that makes the Euro offers look better.  He needs to be supremely humbled before even thinking about taking him back.

His Dallas teammates voted him to not get a playoff share despite playing in two games. I've never heard of that.

You find out about someone's character when times are tough. The league has found out about him. If we take him back and he does the same stuff again then shame on us. How hard would it be to move him again?

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think I'd want him back, just because he's a poor fit with our personnel and he might stifle Smart's development.

I sort of agree on the former, although with our ever-changing personnel, that might not be an issue.  As someone who sees Smart's future role as more a of 2 who can handle the ball than a true PG, I think Bradley is more in line to stifle his development.

I'd be surprised if Rondo came back, but I don't think the door is 100% shut.  Management certainly hasn't said anything but nice things about him since he left, and the same is true of the players.  That said, the real issue with Rondo is that he needs to figure out what he wants, because he's a bit lost right now.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Ha ha--and what happens when he rolls the ball up the floor before starting an offensive possession?

If the defense is already set and they're not pressuring the ball, I've got no problem with that at all.  Gives more time to run the offense in the half court, which means more opportunity for someone to get free with ball movement.  You're not going to be able to tu run break after most made baskets.  People need to let that go.

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 09:25:49 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sorry not interested.

Rondo is an odd fit with any team with his present style of play.

Plus his personality traits are team poison. 

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Of course. He'd still be the best guard on the roster, and arguably the best player on the team (boom. Shots fired).

I don't think that Stevens' system makes the most out of talented players, though, which is a problem going forward/if we ever want to go beyond an adorable team that wins more than they should and gets swept in the playoffs.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Of course. He'd still be the best guard on the roster, and arguably the best player on the team (boom. Shots fired).

I don't think that Stevens' system makes the most out of talented players, though, which is a problem going forward/if we ever want to go beyond an adorable team that wins more than they should and gets swept in the playoffs.
But our team got way more adorable as soon as Rondo left and the Mavs got way less adorable as soon as he arrived, and instead of getting swept they lost 4-1. 

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah, that's true.

The Mavs thing is going to be overshadowed -- but their problem (IMO) was always going to be how they gutted their wing and big rotation, not that they upgraded Jameer Nelson to Rajon Rondo. Their offense was also always going to take a hit: that's how unsustainable hot streaks and regressions work.

Obviously the team couldn't overcome their diminished depth chart (and Rondo played terribly, although still better than Jameer Nelson), and it wound up being a bad trade for Dallas, but duder didn't singlehandedly blow their title chances, as much as that makes for good copy.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Cousins/Zeller/Perk
Josh Smith/Bass/Jerebko
Pierce/Crowder
AB/Turner or IT
Rondo/Pressy

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
the Rondo train is gone and isn't returning.  He isn't a fit for Brad's system/approach.  They co-existed because they had to, but ultimately they want different things.  Rondo will be a Laker IMO, and he will sign a team discount type of deal so the Lakers can sign a max guy. 

Dark horse team for Rondo........Houston, even though it's not a great fit for him with Harden being so ball dominate

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Bonus shock  .....of course  :)

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't think I'd want him back, just because he's a poor fit with our personnel and he might stifle Smart's development.

While I agree that he's just not a good fit with the guys on our team, I don't agree that he would have a negative impact on Smart's development.  Why do you think that the latter would occur?

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
love Rondo but his play this year has made me question his desire to compete. 

we could certainly use a legit ball handler and passer because we sorely lack one.  in that regard, he'd be a big help.  he'd have to commit to improving his FT shooting (although we were pretty bad as a team after he left yet I noticed no one, particularly the Rondo critics, made mention of it) and play with effort every game -- especially defense. 

question is, would he agree to that.

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I sort of agree on the former, although with our ever-changing personnel, that might not be an issue.  As someone who sees Smart's future role as more a of 2 who can handle the ball than a true PG, I think Bradley is more in line to stifle his development.

I agree that Bradley is a worse fit with Smart which is a much different outcome than I expected.  I was expecting Smart to be a much more aggressive and capable driving guard, but he's much more limited and opportunistic in that regard than his college record suggested.

Rondo and Smart is hardly ideal but I like Rondo starting at the 1 more than I like Turner starting at the 3.  Rondo gives you all of Turner's rebounding, plus much better playmaking and a higher peak performance.

And with Thomas around as a 6th man, Rondo's FT issues as a closer and his lack of scoring become less of a problem.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri