Author Topic: We Need a 3 and D Big  (Read 1291 times)

We Need a 3 and D Big
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:09 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I define a 3 and D big as someone who can shoot the three above 30% and hold opponents to less than 50% at the rim. There are other ways to define this, and this is a fairly limited statistical approach, but I think it is a good indicator to one of the most unique positions in the NBA.

Meyers Leonard 42 3FG%, 42.3 OFG% at the rim
Matt Bonner 37%, 49%
Serge Ibaka 38%, 41%
Pero Antic 30%, 49%
Donatas Motiejunas 37%, 49%
Lamarcus Aldridge 35%, 45%
Josh Smith 32%, 46%
Shawn Williams 39%, 50%
Aldridge is a new addition to this list. He extended his range to the three point line this year, while also improving his defense at the rim. Meyers Leonard is one of the top young 3 and D prospects in the league. Smith, Motie, and Bonner are all new additions as well.

Serge Ibaka takes the cake as the third best three point shooter on this list and the best rim protector. He is a unique talent that compliments Durant and Westbrook well.

These players technically played more small forward than power forward and center, but are still right there.

Draymond Green 33%, 47%
Jerami Grant 31%, 43%
Quincy Acy 30%, 45%
Grant shows a lot of potential to be a perfect 3 and D forward and Acy is trying to prove he has that kind of ability. Green is the perfect compliment to Curry and Thompson due to his defense and versatility.

These players barely missed the cut by a few percentage points or by a small sample size.

Patrick Patterson 37%, 50.3%
Kyle O’Quin 28%, 49%
Mike Muscala 41%, 43%
Pau Gasol 46%, 48%
Aaron Gordon 27%, 48%
Anthony Tolliver, 36%, 50%
Jonas Jerebko 37%, 51%
Chris Anderson 31%, 51%
Al-Farouq Aminu 27%, 41%
Andrew Nicholson 32%, 46%

There are a few interesting players on this list, and a few interesting young free agents. Kyle O'Quinn might be a really good starting center in the NBA if he could stay out of foul trouble. Muscala plays the Hawks big man role perfectly. Anderson has continued to extend his three point range this year.

Aldridge would be a great fit, but I don't think he is coming here. I don't think Motie or Leonard are available either. Based on this, I think O'Quinn might be a buy low 3 year/3 million a year contract idea. I also am interested in Aminu and Muscala. I obviously want Jerebko back as well.

My realistic ranking for targets would be Jerebko, O'quin, Aminu, Muscala.

Re: We Need a 3 and D Big
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Actually, Quincy Acy plays PF 26% of the time and SF 4%. My bad.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:46 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Nice layout.,

Of that list I think of Aminu has the best fit to upside ratio for this team. Muscala definitely offers something we don't have on this roster right now.

The one thing I would add would be the draft it's not outside the realm of possibility that we could trade up for either Kristaps Porzingis or more realistically Myles Turner. Both should provide above-average rim protection and shoot above 30 percent from three in their primes.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Nice layout.,

Of that list I think of Aminu has the best fit to upside ratio for this team. Muscala definitely offers something we don't have on this roster right now.

The one thing I would add would be the draft it's not outside the realm of possibility that we could trade up for either Kristaps Porzingis or more realistically Myles Turner. Both should provide above-average rim protection and shoot above 30 percent from three in their primes.

I like Aminu too. I think he is really starting to come into his own, but I worry that his shooting will never be respectable.

I like Turner a lot, but I'm not sure about Porzingis. He has the length, but I worry that he is just another thin, soft, stretch big man. Have you done much research on him? Is there any indication that he has the potential to be more?

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Anyone scouted Kyle O'Quinn? I have watched him a bit. It seems like he fell out of favor with the coaching staff, especially when Vaugn was fired. His per minute numbers were great. He his a good pick and roll player, good rebounder, and good rim protector. I think he rotates the ball well on offense and his shooting stroke is smooth (but streaky). I really think he will make some team, probably not the Magic, a lot better when he is with a coaching staff who believes in him and a big man coach who can teach him to stay out of foul trouble.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've always like Patrick Patterson. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain