Author Topic: #33 pick: Aleksander Vezenkov, 19-year-old kid tearing the Greek league  (Read 11916 times)

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
This kid is second in scoring in one of Europe's toughest leagues. The way he shoots the ball (quick release) is impressive.
Now, Barcelona, Panathinaikos and Anadolu Efes are trying to get him. Perfect pick-and-stash pick with #33?
PS: incredible home crowd!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4xIp05sOk

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If he is available at 33 he is probably a BPA pick. He may go first round though.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Could be a draft and stash candidate at #33.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
since Danny "missed" the Greek Freak, if this kid is still available in the 2nd round or with our Clippers pick, I'd probably use it on him

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Yeah, I love the quick release especially for a guy who has the frame and length to play PF. He's a very good shooter for a big man his age. He's apparently a very good rebounder as he's been collecting 10 rebs/40 playing SF. On the downside, he is quite unathletic, but that's OK for a 2nd round pick whose main virtue is outside shooting. It also looks like he could possibly slim down to play SF, but I think he's best off as a stretch 4.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If you watch him more he dribbles out of control, a lot. I do like him and would use a pick on him, but idk about a first, unless we trade players for more picks.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@Global Celtic
Good find TP  ;D
PS Did you notice the banner "people say God/We say Ares" (2:10 top right  ;) )

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
DraftExpress has some good stats on him. He is projected to be nr32, so yeah, looks like he might be early in the second round.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aleksandar-Vezenkov-6429/stats/

Check out Wikipedia too:
Awards and accomplishments
Pro career
2x Greek League Best Young Player: (2013, 2014)
Bulgarian national team
2011 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: Top Scorer
2013 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Top Scorer
2014 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: Top Scorer

2014 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: All-Tournament Team
Individual
2x Best Young Basketball Player of Bulgaria: 2013–14, 2014–15
2nd Place in the Viasport.bg "Best Young Sportsperson of Bulgaria" rankings: 2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Vezenkov

If he comes as low as nr 33 this could turn out to be a steal.
i/He already has pro-experience. Not only is he playing for a pro-team, but Aris is demanding team that plays to win. He knows how to deal with pressure and he has guts. He also has a leader's heart- check out his achievements with the Bulgarian team.
ii/It also means he has been training very systematically and he is used to playing against much more experienced and stronger opponents.
iii/The Draft has a tendency to underestimate non-North American players (with Drako Milisic being one of the few exceptions): Giannis, Parker, Marc Gasol, Ginobili and I can go on...

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Can we draft the crowd, that'd be a lot of fun to attend a game like that live.

Really like Vezenkov, he's got that scorer's mentality. Listening to a podcast an analyst once remarked that he thought Kevin Love had the best 3 point form in the league because it had so little wasted energy. Vezekov's J reminds me of Love's. High, quick, repeatable release that with good elevation and nice follow through. Dare I say maybe even Bird-esque?

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
TP
The joke in Europe is: the North is sexually satisfied but emotionally oppressed and we Southerners (Greeks, Spaniards, Italians etc) are sexually oppressed but ... kinda outspoken. We go to the stadiums to express our frustration lol
And what you saw is just a regular game. Just wait to see what happens in the real thing

Here is Aris against PAOK (the Salonica derby). It's a freaking madhouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvAOpnnMK0

And here our sister team (Panathinaikos)- ppl regularly attend games wearing Celtics jerseys.
Please please please, Celtics play a regular season game in Athens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WeWt8_Ge8

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
TP
The joke in Europe is: the North is sexually satisfied but emotionally oppressed and we Southerners (Greeks, Spaniards, Italians etc) are sexually oppressed but ... kinda outspoken. We go to the stadiums to express our frustration lol
And what you saw is just a regular game. Just wait to see what happens in the real thing

Here is Aris against PAOK (the Salonica derby). It's a freaking madhouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvAOpnnMK0

And here our sister team (Panathinaikos)- ppl regularly attend games wearing Celtics jerseys.
Please please please, Celtics play a regular season game in Athens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WeWt8_Ge8
Greek crowds are the best. I remember thinking that a guy like Dionte Christmas would never be afraid of NBA crowds after playing in Greece (but he simply wasn't good enough).
As for Vezenkov, David Aldrige recently quoted an NBA executive questioning who does Vezenkov guard in the NBA. Not athletic and quick enough to guard SFs, not big enough to guard PFs. But he's clearly talented and still very young.
Is it true that he'll go to Efes?

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@Global Celtic
I had a look at Greek sports sites. They are full with rumours, so nothing seems to be certain.
Almost all European teams that matter have expressed interest in him.

The real decision maker seems to be his dad, who is a trainer (we have a Kelly Olynyk situation her)-and my gut feeling is that with the right deal from the NBA it will be hard to say no. The kid probably wants to play in the NBA- his sister has played for North Carolina (again dad's decision), he watches lots of NBA and admires Nowitzki.

With young Euro players the key concern is usually getting playing mins (too many have come back frustrated bcs they never got a chance- Spanoulis, Paspalj and Fotsis to name just a few). And the C's are among the few teams that can credibly promise him (and his dad) a real chance to play and proven ability to develop young talent.

One interesting fact: his salary is 60.000  euros per year this making him the player with the cheapest salary ever to become the leading scorer of A1.

Offline GreenPride17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Sure this could be a really good pick with the sixers 2nd rounder could end up being another mirotic like steal and if he doesn't ever come it's not like too much was spent on him

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
@Global Celtic
I had a look at Greek sports sites. They are full with rumours, so nothing seems to be certain.
Almost all European teams that matter have expressed interest in him.

The real decision maker seems to be his dad, who is a trainer (we have a Kelly Olynyk situation her)-and my gut feeling is that with the right deal from the NBA it will be hard to say no. The kid probably wants to play in the NBA- his sister has played for North Carolina (again dad's decision), he watches lots of NBA and admires Nowitzki.

With young Euro players the key concern is usually getting playing mins (too many have come back frustrated bcs they never got a chance- Spanoulis, Paspalj and Fotsis to name just a few). And the C's are among the few teams that can credibly promise him (and his dad) a real chance to play and proven ability to develop young talent.

One interesting fact: his salary is 60.000  euros per year this making him the player with the cheapest salary ever to become the leading scorer of A1.
Didn't knew his sister played in the US. I guess that would ease his transition. This Euro guys always have a cultural adjustment to make, and also a different style of basketball. Some make it, some don't. Mirotic, for example, is so talented and already had so much experience that it was natural to him.
Vezenkov had an offer from Xavier but he opted to play in Aris. Now I guess he matured enough to play in the NBA next season or the following.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
His dad isn't "a trainer", he's one of the most decorated Bulgarian basketball players, as well as a former pro coach and executive. But I digress.

I'd stay away from Vezenkov, though. He's a tweener, and has been getting away with playing as a 6'9, 225 lbs PF in the size-challenged Euroleagues. That won't translate in the NBA, and I doubt he has the footspeed to stay with SFs. While he's still young, I consider him somewhat of a reach at 33.

edit: Also, in case you wondered, his father says it's too early for him to go to the NBA -- and claims that his son knows that. Exact quote is "He needs to make one extra step to a major European club". Article is from March 15, in Bulgarian.

http://www.sportal.bg/news.php?news=538134
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:47:32 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."