Author Topic: Kristaps Porzingis would solve several issues the Celtics have  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
1. Rim protector
2. one on one scorer
3. future starting SF (Porzingis has stated he prefers to play as a sf. Could be a stretch 4 once he fills out).
4. Rebounding help. Versatile defender

He is projected to be drafted anywhere from 6 to 10. 
We trade our 2015 16th pick, Future 1st, 33rd pick, Turner to move up to draft Kristaps.
We would still have the 2015 28th , 45th picks.
-28th pick draft one of Martin, Anderson, Harvey
-45th pick draft one of  Luwawu, De Paula, (draft and stash player)

Projected lineup

c- Zeller /KO
pf- Sullinger/ Martin
SF - Porzingis/Crowder
SG - AB/Young
PG - Smart/IT

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ACuB0Hm4I

Re: Kristaps Porzingis would solve several issues the Celtics have
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I am deathly afraid of Ainge moving up to get Porzingis.

I can't help but think of this guy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/tracker/player?playerId=18338

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747

Not the same. The guy your thinking about didn't have the same quickness/athleticism/wingspan as Kristaps

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
This Guy's kind of a freak. We skipped Antetokunmpo. We never had a shot at Anthony Davis. Pozingis could be an option for a true mismatch at the position.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:53:54 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
If we were to get Porzingis, he SHOULD NOT play the 3 he has pretty good lateral quickness but he would get blown by on every possession against any sf in the league.

And this kinda brings his stock down for me because as I recall Noah Vonleh had the same notion last year about wanting to play the 3 and he spent his time working on ball handling and shooting off the dribble instead of on the block. Which is one of the reasons danny passed on him and ended up getting marcus.

I hope Porzingis works on his catch and shoot, defense, and post game instead of trying to be the primary ball handler and attacking sf's from the 3 pt line

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This Guy's kind of a freak. We skipped Antetokunmpo. We never had a shot at Anthony Davis. Pozingis could be an option for a true mismatch at the position.

There will be many teams that will think the same.   We might have to do a trade with the hated Lakers to prevent teams like the Magic and Kings from having a chance to grab him 1st.  Then again the Lakers might be also highly intrigued

This is the type of talent I can see Danny trying to go all out (or give up alot) to try to obtain.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd love to get him, but don't feel we have enough assets to move up that far.  Pretty sure he is going in the top 5.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I am deathly afraid of Ainge moving up to get Porzingis.

I can't help but think of this guy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/tracker/player?playerId=18338

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747

Agreed.

Talk about "boom or bust". The thought of a stretch-4 who can protect the rim is tantalizing, but man is there a lot of risk IMO.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If we were to get Porzingis, he SHOULD NOT play the 3 he has pretty good lateral quickness but he would get blown by on every possession against any sf in the league.

And this kinda brings his stock down for me because as I recall Noah Vonleh had the same notion last year about wanting to play the 3 and he spent his time working on ball handling and shooting off the dribble instead of on the block. Which is one of the reasons danny passed on him and ended up getting marcus.

I hope Porzingis works on his catch and shoot, defense, and post game instead of trying to be the primary ball handler and attacking sf's from the 3 pt line

while you worry about possible lateral quickness issues vs some sfs on the defensive end Porzingis will have some sfs for lunch on the offensive end. Absolute nightmare

Porzingis is very good at coming around screens and shooting the ball (rare for someone his height).   If Nowitzki was able to play SF early in his career in the NBA there is no reason why Porzingis can't. And Porzingis at the same age is quicker and more athletic
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:07:50 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'd love to get him, but don't feel we have enough assets to move up that far.  Pretty sure he is going in the top 5.

I agree.  There would have to be a team picking 4-5 that misses the player they really want, think they can grab someone else they like later in the draft.

For example the Knicks drop hard and pick 4th. Already have Melo and are not that fond of Kristaps. Need a crap load of talent to fill in their roster and the Celtics have alot of picks to make a trade work

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I agree that based on the limited amount I have seen him play and the write ups and scouting reports I have read he is a great fit for the celtics. Towns, Porzingis and Wood are all different level prospects but represent the same super hard to fill niche in the NBA. The rim protecting stretch 4. Only a hand full of players in the NBA are truly effective shooting from mid rage (let alone 3) while still having the length and athleticism to both guard on the perimeter and give help D in the paint.

Where you lose me is your 4 points he will help with.

He will provide rim protection. This is not to say he will be Gobert or Ibaka but probably something more along the lines of P Gaol, Noah or Horford. Good enough to anchor an elite D.

I dont see him ever being an elite one on one scoring option. I picture his role as more of an off the ball shooter who can use fakes and quick feet to get to the paint.

Future starting SF.... no way the NBA is getting smaller their is no place for a 6'11-7'1 SF. Giannis and Durant are freaks and they stretch the limit of SF size/length. Porzingis is the ideal stretch 4. Thats it..

Rebounding help / versatile defender, these are actually the two things I expect him to struggle with. The strength and quickness of the NBA will take time for him to develop and he is not an elite ACB rebounder. He will at best be an average rebounding PF in the NBA.

IF DA can find any way to trade up and draft anyone in this classes top 9 I think it will greatly help the future of this team. I don't think Porzingis will be reachable as I think he climbs in workouts and challenges for the 5th spot but doesn't slip past 6.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I agree that based on the limited amount I have seen him play and the write ups and scouting reports I have read he is a great fit for the celtics. Towns, Porzingis and Wood are all different level prospects but represent the same super hard to fill niche in the NBA. The rim protecting stretch 4. Only a hand full of players in the NBA are truly effective shooting from mid rage (let alone 3) while still having the length and athleticism to both guard on the perimeter and give help D in the paint.

Where you lose me is your 4 points he will help with.

He will provide rim protection. This is not to say he will be Gobert or Ibaka but probably something more along the lines of P Gaol, Noah or Horford. Good enough to anchor an elite D.

I dont see him ever being an elite one on one scoring option. I picture his role as more of an off the ball shooter who can use fakes and quick feet to get to the paint.

Future starting SF.... no way the NBA is getting smaller their is no place for a 6'11-7'1 SF. Giannis and Durant are freaks and they stretch the limit of SF size/length. Porzingis is the ideal stretch 4. Thats it..

Rebounding help / versatile defender, these are actually the two things I expect him to struggle with. The strength and quickness of the NBA will take time for him to develop and he is not an elite ACB rebounder. He will at best be an average rebounding PF in the NBA.

IF DA can find any way to trade up and draft anyone in this classes top 9 I think it will greatly help the future of this team. I don't think Porzingis will be reachable as I think he climbs in workouts and challenges for the 5th spot but doesn't slip past 6.

While I agree KP future or best fit is a stretch 4, If the Celtics somehow manage to grab him, he will play the SF spot from the start.  It is also the position he prefers to play he has stated

There is no way he can guard pfs in the nba currently. He will get pushed around, bruised up.  It already happened in the league he was playing in.
But he has enough lateral quickness/able to cover alot of ground to "hang" with many sfs in the nba.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Actually I've heard some Orlando fans think they'd rather have Justise Winslow. Then you have to hope Sac town would rather have Caulie Stein. Denver would probably pick him but if they opted for say... Hezonja, Detroit could then be considered a possibe trade up candidate.

Assuming this is how the lottery shapes out.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:25 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
id be really upset if we drafted this guy
Greg

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've never known much about Porzingis - I just assumed by his height that he'd be a center, but it sounds like he is taller, slightly less coordinated Kirilenko. I don't think I would be all that happy if Danny traded way up for him since that would mean we gave up a LOT; however, I would be okay with him if he fell way down the draft board (which won't happen).

I suppose he could be a very good player, but I will be surprised if he has as successful of a career as Kirilenko (who did very well). Even though people keep saying, 'when he fills out,' his weight scares the heck out of me.