Author Topic: Choose: Blake Griffin at 26, DeMarcus Cousins at 24, Anthony Davis at 22?  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think if Davis was on the Clippers instead of Davis, they're be little drop-off, if any.  Davis with Jordan defensively?  Man.....that's scary.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean...is this really a contest? Davis is terrifyingly good. The only players I'd definitely take over Davis are LeBron and Durant, and even with those two, only for the next year or two, tops.

Yeah. I like all 3 players, but even with Blake's playoff numbers so far there's no debate. Not to rely too heavily on the old chestnut of "Give X the team that Y has," but can you imagine Davis in Blake's place? I mean, a Paul-Redick-Barnes-Davis-Jordan starting 5 is, in my opinion, scarier than a Evans (or Holiday)-Gordon-Poindexter-Davis-Asik lineup. No one would get a shot off within 10 feet of the hoop!

But I think get_banners puts a really interesting question out there: let's play the same game with Davis at 22, Durant at 28, and LeBron at 30, and let's say we're talking about just next season. Who would you rather have? I'd still say Davis, but it's a heck of a lot closer for me.

(If you're looking for this year's stats to compare, here's Pro Basketball Reference with the 5 players:  http://bkref.com/tiny/y283c )

Davis on this Clippers team this year instead of Blake ?,  no way they'd be as successful.   Part of Blake Griffins playoffs #'s is being hard to stop him in one given way.  His skill set is too diverse.

From how he can move off the dribble, the mid range, the driving ability, finishing ability, passing/facilitating.  He's a do it all type of guy and has grown since entering the league. 

Davis in due time will improve but he plays exactly the same each game, he'll score 30PPG off clean up baskets on this Clippers team he wouldn't have nearly as much of those to clean up and defense would shut down his mismatch advantage on single coverage with a double team etc.

This is why basketball is not played on paper.

I think you're vastly underrating Davis and overstating Blake's game. 

Griffin shoots about 40% on shots beyond 3 feet, and those shots account for about 67% of his offense. 

Davis shoots about 44% on shots beyond 3 feet, accounting for 65% of his offense.

On the P&R, Davis ranked in the 84.6th percentile, while Griffin was below average (40.7th percentile) in terms of points per possession.  Davis' eFG% on P&Rs was .572, while Griffin's was .467.

I think it's hard to argue Blake's offensive superiority, when Davis is more effective on both jumpers and the P&R.   

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I mean...is this really a contest? Davis is terrifyingly good. The only players I'd definitely take over Davis are LeBron and Durant, and even with those two, only for the next year or two, tops.

Yeah. I like all 3 players, but even with Blake's playoff numbers so far there's no debate. Not to rely too heavily on the old chestnut of "Give X the team that Y has," but can you imagine Davis in Blake's place? I mean, a Paul-Redick-Barnes-Davis-Jordan starting 5 is, in my opinion, scarier than a Evans (or Holiday)-Gordon-Poindexter-Davis-Asik lineup. No one would get a shot off within 10 feet of the hoop!

But I think get_banners puts a really interesting question out there: let's play the same game with Davis at 22, Durant at 28, and LeBron at 30, and let's say we're talking about just next season. Who would you rather have? I'd still say Davis, but it's a heck of a lot closer for me.

(If you're looking for this year's stats to compare, here's Pro Basketball Reference with the 5 players:  http://bkref.com/tiny/y283c )

Davis on this Clippers team this year instead of Blake ?,  no way they'd be as successful.   Part of Blake Griffins playoffs #'s is being hard to stop him in one given way.  His skill set is too diverse.

From how he can move off the dribble, the mid range, the driving ability, finishing ability, passing/facilitating.  He's a do it all type of guy and has grown since entering the league. 

Davis in due time will improve but he plays exactly the same each game, he'll score 30PPG off clean up baskets on this Clippers team he wouldn't have nearly as much of those to clean up and defense would shut down his mismatch advantage on single coverage with a double team etc.

Griffin shoots about 40% on shots beyond 3 feet, and those shots account for about 67% of his offense. 

Davis shoots about 44% on shots beyond 3 feet, accounting for 65% of his offense.

On the P&R, Davis ranked in the 84.6th percentile, while Griffin was below average (40.7th percentile) in terms of points per possession.  Davis' eFG% on P&Rs was .572, while Griffin's was .467.

I think it's hard to argue Blake's offensive superiority, when Davis is more effective on both jumpers and the P&R.

The only argument would be Blake's facilitating ability. Can that negate said inferior stats?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think if Davis was on the Clippers instead of Davis, they're be little drop-off, if any.  Davis with Jordan defensively?  Man.....that's scary.
I'm pretty confident that the Clippers would be better with Davis than Griffin and I think it would be a lot of games better.  Davis is the third most gifted player in the league and the guy you probably select first if you are starting a franchise.  Griffin is a good player no question, but with Davis you have a real argument who is the best player on the Clippers, with Griffin you don't (and it isn't Griffin).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm pretty confident that the Clippers would be better with Davis than Griffin and I think it would be a lot of games better.  Davis is the third most gifted player in the league and the guy you probably select first if you are starting a franchise.  Griffin is a good player no question, but with Davis you have a real argument who is the best player on the Clippers, with Griffin you don't (and it isn't Griffin).

I disagree with that. I think Griffin is a top 5-7 player in the game, while Chris Paul is a top 10 player.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I disagree with that. I think Griffin is a top 7 player in the game, while Chris Paul is a top 10 player.

That's certainly an interesting debate.  Davis is better than either of them, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

My point is that as of right now Griffin being a more diverse in his skill set he's harder to read from the opposing defense.  Griffin can adjust to the game as the defense changes it's game plan.

I don't think I'm underrating Davis, he's an amazing player but at the age of 22 I don't think swapping him for Blake would translate to better success this year.  Davis won't be going out their to get a triple double if Chris Paul was injured.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The only argument would be Blake's facilitating ability. Can that negate said inferior stats?

The passing is definitely in Blake's favor right now, although that's slightly mitigated by higher turnovers and a higher USG%. 

I think when you take into account Davis' offensive versatility, his greater efficiency, his greater scoring production, his much better defense, his significantly better rebounding, and the fact that his offensive rating and defensive rating are both better than Griffin's, it's hands down who the better player is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

My point is that as of right now Griffin being a more diverse in his skill set he's harder to read from the opposing defense.  Griffin can adjust to the game as the defense changes it's game plan.

I don't think I'm underrating Davis, he's an amazing player but at the age of 22 I don't think swapping him for Blake would translate to better success this year.  Davis won't be going out their to get a triple double if Chris Paul was injured.

The point of my stats was that I don't think Griffin is any more versatile than Davis.  If he is, the numbers don't really show it.  Griffin is a better passer at this stage.  Davis is a better scorer, better shooter, better defender, and better rebounder.

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'm taking Anthony Davis all day long at 22.  Once he has players around him, he is going to win & win big. 

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
IMO Griffin right now is better than Davis. If you took him out and put Davis in, the Clips would be pretty easy to defend - just do whatever it takes to take Chris Paul out of the possession. You don't have a guy who can screen to get everyone else open, and can facilitate from the low or high post. Blake is a handful because you have to put your best rim protector on him so he doesn't drop 30 and 15 on you, and even if you do he's creating opportunities for every other guy on his team, and now you don't even have your rim protector to stop those opportunities.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Anthony Davis hands down would be my #1 choice.

However we have the best shot at landing Demarcus Cousins who is in a disgruntled situation, so I would love to see him as the next cornerstone to the Celtics franchise.

Blake Griffin is a great player, but I'd rather have Davis or Cousins to anchor our starting 5.

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

The point of my stats was that I don't think Griffin is any more versatile than Davis.  If he is, the numbers don't really show it.  Griffin is a better passer at this stage.  Davis is a better scorer, better shooter, better defender, and better rebounder.

The playoffs are a whole different beast.  I agree with your sentiments but I don't take stats as automatic better success as far as winning goes.  I still agree that if you are looking to build around one of these 3 guys than Davis is the correct answer hands down.

But this Clippers team is better off with Blake Griffin, he make's up for the limitation of Reddick and Barnes IMO.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The playoffs are a whole different beast.  I agree with your sentiments but I don't take stats as automatic better success as far as winning goes.  I still agree that if you are looking to build around one of these 3 guys than Davis is the correct answer hands down.

But this Clippers team is better off with Blake Griffin, he make's up for the limitation of Reddick and Barnes IMO.

Did any of you guys watch Davis play in his first series in the playoffs, while of course being 22, just now? Against THE top team in the NBA?

54% shooting from the floor, 11 rebounds, 31.5 points per game, 3 block shots per game.

I mean, why are people bringing up the playoffs as a definite win for Blake Griffin when Davis already out played anything Griffin has done at any point his whole career during the playoffs?

There's really no argument to be made. Davis is hands down the best player no matter what angle anyone wants to take.

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Did any of you guys watch Davis play in his first series in the playoffs, while of course being 22, just now? Against THE top team in the NBA?

54% shooting from the floor, 11 rebounds, 31.5 points per game, 3 block shots per game.

I mean, why are people bringing up the playoffs as a definite win for Blake Griffin when Davis already out played anything Griffin has done at any point his whole career during the playoffs?

There's really no argument to be made. Davis is hands down the best player no matter what angle anyone wants to take.

Blatantly false, Blake's trip-dub takedown of Houston the other day was more significant than any performance AD has had in the playoffs.