Author Topic: Are we completely ruling out netting Lebron James?  (Read 6969 times)

Re: Are we completely ruling out netting Lebron James?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Outside of Kobe, I would have been fine rooting for any of those guys (although Isaiah would have been tough).  I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't root for a  guy just because he played for a team that was a rival of the Celtics.

Same, though I'd probably say rooting for Isaiah would be a little more than tough.

A lot of those rivals would be mind-boggling to root for, but I hate LeBron as much as anybody and I would sure as heck root for him on the Celts.

If any of those guys were Celtics for life (aside from Kobe), I couldn't help but brag about them.  Though, I gotta say if LeBron came here at this point in his career, I don't see a lot to brag about.

I don't actually want him to come here, but I'm not going to pretend like I wouldn't enjoy it if it happened.

I don't rule out the possibility of netting LeBron, but I'd give it a 98% chance of not happening. The only reason is because it would be a smart move for him, but I think the rivalry early in his leaves him resenting the Celtics and those awesome 07-12 teams.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 11:05:55 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Well, you have to think about the optics of it. Lebron comes home, loses in the playoffs, and goes right back out the door. Assuming he gives at least half a [dang] what people back home think of him, there's no way. And if he did, why would he go to the rebuilding Celtics?

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Well, you have to think about the optics of it. Lebron comes home, loses in the playoffs, and goes right back out the door. Assuming he gives at least half a [dang] what people back home think of him, there's no way. And if he did, why would he go to the rebuilding Celtics?

Big assumption.  Why care about what people back home think of him, when he can just go to a new home like Miami and have everybody welcome him with open arms?  How many clubs/places do you think he got into for free there, and how beautiful chicks do you think were throwing themselves at him?

I'd bet my life LeBron had more fun in his time in Miami (or any big city) than he ever will in all his years combined in CLE.  Should I link that Noah interview?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 11:28:17 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
He ll love a max contract with Boston

When he is

37 years old

Ahahaha! Dominique! #12 baby!
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd love to have Lebron here, mostly because I like winning championships more than I dislike Lebron.
True story.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Hey, as KG said, anything is possible. IF LeBron ever came here I think all of us would eventually grow to like him.  While this is so farfetched, I like the premise that Bron respects BS Enough to jump ship.  Kind of funny, but fun to think about.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Its going to be hard enough if/when we don't get Cousins or LMA or Love. If we start expecting LBJ we are really going to be disappointed.

That said I'm sure somene has told LBJ he would be welcome here, just like every other team.

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
If this were a few years ago, and he came to Boston instead of going to Miami...great!

But now, I'd rather he finish his career in Cleveland and eventually leads them to a championship.  For all the Lebron haters out there, I think the people of Cleveland *NEED* all the positive vibes a championship would bring.

For those who live in Boston, and are probably still cleaning up some of the confetti from the Super Bowl, you know what I mean.  That sense of pride in the performances of YOUR sports teams.  I mean, the Cubs are the bad break baseball team, but at least Chicago had 'Da Bears at one time.  Cleveland has ?

So I'm content to building up a team that will one day beat an older Lebron as the mantle is passed on to a new Celtic dynasty.

Rak

Not to mention Jordan's Bulls...

Yikes!!! How in the world did I miss mentioning that?!?  You're absolutely right....my only excuse was I was trying to think of a bad baseball team over the years that would equal the Indians...came up with the Cubs, but then only the Bears popped into my mind.

Getting older is a pain! ;)

Thanks for catching that!

Rak

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 01:42:10 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Makes sense that any basketball team would want the best player in the world, defects and all.

In the back of my mind though I know I don't like that hollow feeling when winning has come at the cost of; fair play, opposition injury or signing someone you have learned to hate.

Win at all costs, whatever it takes. I know I would be naive to not acknowledge that pro sport exists with these two ideals high on everyone's priority list.

I would just rather sign two players who aren't LeBron but in the top twenty and snag a good draft prospect and sleep better at night.

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm thinking we are the front-runner if the Cavs don't win it this year.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I'd like to see the reaction from the fans in Cleveland if Lebron ever decided to join the Celtics ;D!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't want this trash on my team.

we could get a player off the streets to stiff arm defenders, stick his off ball arm out before he even dribbles, travel so much he'll never run out of frequent flyer miles. and for much less.

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 07:07:33 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

we could get a player off the streets to stiff arm defenders, stick his off ball arm out before he even dribbles, travel so much he'll never run out of frequent flyer miles. and for much less.

Yeah, guys like Bron are a dime a dozen  ::)

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, guys like Bron are a dime a dozen  ::)

You haven't heard?  He'd be a scrub if the refs didn't cheat on his behalf.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I see Bron coming to the Celts similarly to the way I see Payton Manning coming to the Patriots