Author Topic: Are we completely ruling out netting Lebron James?  (Read 6979 times)

Re: Are we completely ruling out netting Lebron James?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 06:16:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes. 

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with those who say they wouldn't want Lebron James as a Celtic. 

Luckily, I doubt it's something we have to worry about either way. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Well, having James as a face of the franchise will honestly disgust me. I will stop being a Celtics' fan, for sure.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He ll love a max contract with Boston

When he is

37 years old

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Amusing that I first saw this thread title above the one titled 'Cockeyed Optimism'.

I think we could take him on for the vet min in about a dozen years' time...

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Amusing that I first saw this thread title above the one titled 'Cockeyed Optimism'.

At 42?

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I don't want james here. just like i wouldn't have wanted Chamberlain here, I wouldn't want Jerry West here, Jabbar, Dr J, Kareem, Magic, Zeke, Kobe, Wade......I'd rather beat them or die trying.

This "if you can't beat them, join them mindset" is very foreign to me., which is why I was so turned off by what allen did going to the cHeat.

I think that there is a fairly high correlation between allen apologists and james supporters. But hey, james and allen have one more championship than KG and PP. That's all that counts, I guess. ::)

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
In a word...yes. 

Going back to Cleveland showed that he really cares what NBA fans think about him.  He doesn't like being the villain.  I've said from the beginning that he's stuck in Cleveland now.  No matter how bad the situation gets, he isn't leaving.

If he left and burned that city AGAIN without bringing them a championship, he'll be absolutely crucified by Cleveland and the rest of the league...and he won't be able to handle that.  As happy as he was getting those 2 titles, going to 4 straight finals with Miami, he hated the villain role.

I expect him to be with the Cavs till he retires, or at least until he's like 37-38.  I'd be beyond shocked if he left again after next year.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

At 42?

You miss out the word 'half' and it completely flatlines your joke...

Mea Culpa

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't want james here. just like i wouldn't have wanted Chamberlain here, I wouldn't want Jerry West here, Jabbar, Dr J, Kareem, Magic, Zeke, Kobe, Wade......I'd rather beat them or die trying.

This "if you can't beat them, join them mindset" is very foreign to me., which is why I was so turned off by what allen did going to the cHeat.

I think that there is a fairly high correlation between allen apologists and james supporters. But hey, james and allen have one more championship than KG and PP. That's all that counts, I guess. ::)

Outside of Kobe, I would have been fine rooting for any of those guys (although Isaiah would have been tough).  I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't root for a  guy just because he played for a team that was a rival of the Celtics.

My guess is that the number of "I would never root for Lebron" fans would shrink rapidly if there was a realistic hope of acquiring him, just like the "I hate A-Rod" chorus got awfully quiet when it looked like he was headed to the Sox (and then got much louder when he became a Yankee).  There are definitely some true believers that wouldn't root for Lebron, but I think that number is miniscule.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would absolutely root for LeBron as a Celtic, and would love to see it happen.  I have no such illusions that it will ever occur, however.

It's more likely that Durant comes to Boston.  Mind you, that's 0% for LeBron and 0.1% for Durant, but still more likely.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I think there's a fairly high correlation between fans who hate the idea of free agency and fans who quietly make statements about the kind of fans that other fans "aught" to support.  :-X
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
If this were a few years ago, and he came to Boston instead of going to Miami...great!

But now, I'd rather he finish his career in Cleveland and eventually leads them to a championship.  For all the Lebron haters out there, I think the people of Cleveland *NEED* all the positive vibes a championship would bring.

For those who live in Boston, and are probably still cleaning up some of the confetti from the Super Bowl, you know what I mean.  That sense of pride in the performances of YOUR sports teams.  I mean, the Cubs are the bad break baseball team, but at least Chicago had 'Da Bears at one time.  Cleveland has ?

So I'm content to building up a team that will one day beat an older Lebron as the mantle is passed on to a new Celtic dynasty.

Rak

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If this were a few years ago, and he came to Boston instead of going to Miami...great!

But now, I'd rather he finish his career in Cleveland and eventually leads them to a championship.  For all the Lebron haters out there, I think the people of Cleveland *NEED* all the positive vibes a championship would bring.

For those who live in Boston, and are probably still cleaning up some of the confetti from the Super Bowl, you know what I mean.  That sense of pride in the performances of YOUR sports teams.  I mean, the Cubs are the bad break baseball team, but at least Chicago had 'Da Bears at one time.  Cleveland has ?

So I'm content to building up a team that will one day beat an older Lebron as the mantle is passed on to a new Celtic dynasty.

Rak

Not to mention Jordan's Bulls...

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

"........  I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't root for a  guy just because he played for a team that was a rival of the Celtics.......

...... There are definitely some true believers that wouldn't root for Lebron, but I think that number is miniscule.

I don't know of any Celtic fans that  would not root for James if he were wearing the laundry with the shamrocks.

I do know of quite a few Cs fans who  don't want him wearing the laundry in the first place.