Author Topic: Willie Cauley-Stein where does he go and can we get him.  (Read 9195 times)

Willie Cauley-Stein where does he go and can we get him.
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Willie Cauley-Stein has been on the Celtics radar to draft and all over these boards. I see him as low as 10 and as high as 6 on mock drafts. We know he will not drop to us at 16. Who out of Sac, Den, Det, Charl or Miami, etc will be a willing trade partner so we could get him on the Celtics.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Re: Willie Cauley-Stein where does he go and can we get him.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He'll go somewhere in the top 10.  My hunch is he goes later in the top 10.

I think the Celts might have the opportunity to trade with Detroit or Charlotte.  Both teams have playoff aspirations and have been bad mostly because of poorly constructed rosters, not due to a lack of talent. 

Turner + Sullinger / Olynyk + #16 for Detroit's pick?  Could work.

Bradley + #16 for Charlotte's pick and Lance Stephenson's expiring? That could work, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
SAC at 6 has a center in Cousins a SF in Gay and a lot of needs at PG, SG, PF and bench. Also have a new HC and a meddlesome owner who wants to make a splash.

Trade our 4 2015 picks for theirs (about the same value per Tankathon) or get players involved on both. Anyone after 5 is also a viable trade partner.  ORL at 5 has a thing for guys with weak offensive games, so don't count them out of grabbing him first.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think he probably goes in the 8-10 range. There is no question that Ainge has the assets to trade for him if he decides he wants him.  Really it depends if Aigne think he can use his assets to get someone established in the league already, and/or sign a viable defense-first center in free agency.  I think he'd like to save his best trading bullets to get a go-to scorer at the 3.

That said, if he falls to 8, Detroit should be picking there and have zero need for WCS.  I think 16, Young, and the Minny pick would be a fair trade for both teams, since Detroit needs to upgrade its talent on the wings, which should have some good options at 16 (and Young is from Eastern Michigan as a bonus).  I'd like to think that is a price Ainge would be willing to pay.  (And no, I haven't given up on Young.)

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I realize that this has nothing to do with this thread, but I just saw today that WCS changed his middle name to 'Trill' ::). Looks like he's headed down the Javale McGee path, lol ;D.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well come draft order we may get an idea of how the mock process may work out. WCS to me is a late lottery talent 8-13 range but depending on order and need I have no idea where he goes right now. Don't see him slipping by Jazz though. Rotation of Favors, Gobert and WCS would be impressive for them and sure up PF and C for a 3-5 year run.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
SAC at 6 has a center in Cousins a SF in Gay and a lot of needs at PG, SG, PF and bench. Also have a new HC and a meddlesome owner who wants to make a splash.

Trade our 4 2015 picks for theirs (about the same value per Tankathon) or get players involved on both. Anyone after 5 is also a viable trade partner.  ORL at 5 has a thing for guys with weak offensive games, so don't count them out of grabbing him first.
Tp for the Orlando comment lol

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Yeah, but I keep hearing that they're going to trade that Cousins guy to us for Sully, KO, AB and a bag of used basketballs.  They might need that pick.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I hope we can trade up to 8-9 and nab him, but sadly I think that the combine will elevate his stock to top 6. He'll probably set multiple all-time records for his position and the hype machine will do the rest.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »

• Don Chaney
I hope we can trade up to 8-9 and nab him, but sadly I think that the combine will elevate his stock to top 6. He'll probably set multiple all-time records for his position and the hype machine will do the rest.
I feel you are right. He is a freakish athlete. But we do have the assets to get him. Most teams after the top 5 have a young center so a trade is very possible.
Should be a fun summer for us. ;D
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't get the infatuation with this guy. The only thing that he has going for him as a basketball player is that he's an athletic and mobile big man. Beyond that he lacks intelligence, didn't show significant improvement during his time at UK, and is a sub-par rebounder and free throw shooter (see here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61842/willie-cauley-stein).

He is grossly overrated simply because he played at a program that is a mill for NBA talent and is in a weak basketball conference, the SEC. The Celtics can do better, he will likely turn into a headcase and a bust.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »

• Don Chaney
I don't get the infatuation with this guy. The only thing that he has going for him as a basketball player is that he's an athletic and mobile big man. Beyond that he lacks intelligence, didn't show significant improvement during his time at UK, and is a sub-par rebounder and free throw shooter (see here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61842/willie-cauley-stein).

He is grossly overrated simply because he played at a program that is a mill for NBA talent and is in a weak basketball conference, the SEC. The Celtics can do better, he will likely turn into a headcase and a bust.
I don't think hs is grossly overated. He is a great athlete and he can defend. Time will tell who is right Silent Storm.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
He would be a great fit, especially if we can sign Greg Monroe.
However spacing would be a work in progress with these two.
I actually think bobby Portis would be a better fit with Monroe and probably available near 16.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I actually think bobby Portis would be a better fit with Monroe and probably available near 16.
I don't like the fit with Monroe. If we sign Monroe, I want him to play the 5 full time next to a four that can shoot. If WCS can learn how to shoot it would be a good fit.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I don't like the fit with Monroe. If we sign Monroe, I want him to play the 5 full time next to a four that can shoot. If WCS can learn how to shoot it would be a good fit.
Thus Portis