Poll

The trade ...

The trade is fair and would help both teams.
3 (5.7%)
The trade is turned down by Hawks.
3 (5.7%)
The trade is turned down by Celtics.
32 (60.4%)
The trade has something to it but needs .....
1 (1.9%)
The trade doesn't work for either team.
14 (26.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Idea: Turner and Sully for the 15th pick.  (Read 4153 times)

Idea: Turner and Sully for the 15th pick.
« on: May 05, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hawks have the 15th pick in the draft given their struggles this playoffs isn't Sully and Turner what they need (aka another wing that can play aggressive and more big man depth). Would C's or Hawks turn down this deal. Note Turner will be a UFA and Sully RFA at end of next season.

Pick 15 can be more ammo to move up or the team can select back to back picks. Either is fine with me I'm just ready to flip Turner and Sully ASAP.

Re: Idea: Turner and Sully for the 15th pick.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What are the chances that the player available at #15 ever becomes as good as Sully? 

I think he has more value as a player than what we'd be getting in return here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Atlanta need either player.

If they lose Millsap in FA, then maybe ... but not right now.

I don't think Evan Turner is a good fit because he has a weak jump-shot and needs the ball in his hands to be effective which I do not think is a good fit with Atlanta's offense. Atlanta has a very good backup PF in Mike Scott so that isn't a pressing need either.

An above average starting SG is what I think they need. Korver is 34. He should be able to play a key bench role for several more years but I don't know how much longer he'll last as a starter. Not the quickest SG to begin with.

I think the rest of the Hawks starting lineup is very strong. I think the bench has good depth as well. Schroeder is a very good backup PG. Bazemore is decent. Thabo Sefolosha is above average at SF. Mike Scott is very good. Antic does a good job for them at center. 

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Added a poll for those who rather just vote then get into detail

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What are the chances that the player available at #15 ever becomes as good as Sully? 

I think he has more value as a player than what we'd be getting in return here.

Well, there are two Sullys: the solid starter with David West potential...and the out-of-shape guy who fell in the draft due to injury concerns and has had two season-ending injuries in his first three years.

There are contract issues as well.  Any team that gets him gives up a certain four years of a rookie deal for a possible one-year or two-year rental. Even if he pans out, you're on the hook for a big contract to keep him.

All told, I don't see him having that much value in trade right now.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I wonder if Sully to the Jazz might be something doable. Cost-controlled, seems a decent complement to Favors/Gobert, friendship with Trey Burke.

What the return might be, I don't know.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
@ Roy, I suppose it depends on what you believe about the prospect that is available at 15 at the time. Maybe it's a at the moment trade but C's may lose trade willingness by Hawks if someone slips.

@ Who, I feel Turner is better than all those wings. A different dynamic is needed than just shooting right now for the Hawks. Sully is also better than those bigs. Hawks would be upgrading the team talent by two players.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sully alone is worth more than the 15th pick.  I would be willing to package him and the 16th pick to move into the top 10 if a stud were available.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:05:24 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think people tend to overvalue mid-1st round picks. Sully is basically what you hope a mid-1st will turn into - a productive player who can start or come off the bench. Not to say some mid-1st picks don't turn out better than that, it's just that you're more likely to get a bust than to get an above-average starter let alone a star.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he looks like he is on the fat farm this summer, and so far, that doesn't look like it will be the case, they will do it in a heartbeat.

I have been a harsh critic but even I thought he had trimmed down during the playoffs slightly.   I still think he can't play D and will never be more than a marginal athlete with superb hands and a knack for rebounding.  That being said, he has some talent, but Ainge served him notice.

I just don't think a 15 pick would be that good of a pick up for us.  But it depends on who slides.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Hawks should definitely turn this down if their goal is to re-sign Paul Millsap.  They only have Millsap's early Bird rights, not his full Bird rights.  They need the cap space to give a competing offer should another team be willing to give Millsap the max contract that he rightfully deserves.  (So, it'd be a good eleven-dimensional chess move to make it more likely that the Celtics can sign Millsap.)  Increasing their payroll for next season is not what they want to do right now.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
horrible horrible trade for the celtics. danny would never do it.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Is this a tank in 2016 idea?

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't see how this trade helps us at all.  ET was arguably the Celtics MVP this year and Sully is getting closer to being an all-star PF.  Draft picks are a crapshoot. Look what happened with what was suppose to be the greatest draft ever.  Bunch of flops.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
not worth it for either team.

ATL is better served bringing everyone back and hoping to get a young wing at #15 to backup Carroll, Korver and Stefelosha. Turner is a poor fit for them and Sully is redundant with Horford. They are better off with Antic in their rotation then sully just based on need.

Cs, the 15th isnt going to bring this team a player better then Sully so its just not worth it.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet