Author Topic: Trade Idea: Tiago Splitter  (Read 2498 times)

Trade Idea: Tiago Splitter
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
Marc Stein is reporting (viz. LaMarcus Aldridge to San Antonio): "One scenario on the personnel grapevine gaining steam is the notion that the Spurs could elect to explore the possibility of dealing away Tiago Splitter to create more financial flexibility. Splitter has two years left on his contract valued at just under $17 million and is quietly regarded as a key contributor in San Antonio given how well he fits as a frontcourt sidekick next to Duncan. But if you're the Spurs -- and if the increasingly loud rumbles about Aldridge having San Antonio as the preferred destination atop his wish list prove true -- examining Splitter's trade market might suddenly become unavoidable."

I've always been a big fan of Splitter, and has been really under-rated both defensively and as a passer, especially when healthy. The Cs could fit Splitter in with the Rondo Trade exception, without giving anything back but could also offer a variety of enticements in trade...Especially if the Cs end up with a young Center, ala Myles Turner, who is not necessarily ready to step into 30 minutes a night, a rotation at the 5 of Splitter and  Zeller could work in the short term, with both contracts set to expire at the end of  2016/2017....Obviously, would depend on other moves on offer, but an attractive thought, and definite upgrade to the 5 rotation....

Re: Trade Idea: Tiago Splitter
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Young talented big man. Get him. Might not cost that much to grab him either.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
How would you feel if the Spurs wanted to get a cheaper center and proposed some version of Splitter for Zeller, with negotiation based on what else has to be thrown in to make it work?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He's not that young. He's 30.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In theory I like Splitter but he's never been able to play very many minutes and he's frequently injured.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

He's not that young. He's 30.

Oh dam, I would guessed 25. Must have spent a lot of time overseas. 30 isn't too bad. Is a little injury prone but would be a nice addition to the Cs.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Please god, no, lol ;D.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I doesn't make sense to look for 30s player at this stage of the rebuilding. Unless there is a value to trade him back.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:05:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Zeller would be a second team all star on the Spurs

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Splitter SUCKS against Good teams....he looked amazing against us this year---but when I see this guy play against Miami (past 2 years) or the Clippers this year--he looks like a clod.....NO.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Splitter is interesting. I like the idea of targeting a Spurs player and Splitter seems like the obvious choice. They have precedance with trading away a rotation player for a mid range 1st round pick with the George Hill swap.

How much of an upgrade is Splitter from Zeller? He's a bit bigger and plays a bit closer to the basket. He can defend the pick and roll has championship experience. I'd definetly consider it. Maybe a bit underwhelming after being linked to Cousins but Tiago Splitter might just be our best option this summer.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/12/27/5247770/tiago-splitter-elite-defensive-player-year-consideration
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:20:49 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Splitter is injury prone, wrong side of 30, and while hes underrated as a Center, I just don't see him being the defensive anchor we need.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Splitter is injury prone, wrong side of 30, and while hes underrated as a Center, I just don't see him being the defensive anchor we need.

All this !

And he d be one of those pieces weird Pop creations , while fitting nice with spurs ,  would turn out no better or worse than Zeller .

Nope ......he is a bum on most teams .

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
How would you feel if the Spurs wanted to get a cheaper center and proposed some version of Splitter for Zeller, with negotiation based on what else has to be thrown in to make it work?

Straight up I'd say no, even though Splitter is a better defensive player. Zeller - as others have noted - is five years younger and still developing.

But I do like the idea of Splitter as a second C, where we are unable to get either an all-star in free agencies or a young big who is able to step in right away (doubtful, given how bigs typically develop)....The OP wasnt meant primarily as a shot at Zeller....

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If he came here, would we have to provide him with a trident (sarcasm), lol ;D?