Author Topic: Do you now feel cheated by the fight  (Read 5574 times)

Do you now feel cheated by the fight
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
with the reports that Pac fought with a bum shoulder just to make the money, do you feel short changed. Is it ethical to have consumers pay for a fight when one of the contestant has a shoulder that needs surgery?

Re: Do you now feel cheated by the fight
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I don't feel cheated because I didn't pay for the fight. I watched it, but didn't pay $100 for it.   ;D

But no, I don't think it's ethical for an athlete to enter the ring with such a significant injury that it obviously hinders their performance. I also don't think it mattered in the long run because Pac simply doesn't have enough power at welterweight to faze Mayweather.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Unless it was going to be the second coming of Hagler-Hearns, it was going to be underwhelming to an extent no matter what. If you knew how Mayweather fought, then you knew this fight was not going to resemble that one bit. 

That's boxing in a nutshell.  Especially when you have spend ridiculous amounts of money on PPV to watch the high profile events.  More likely than not, you're going to be underwhelmed. 

In response to feeling "cheated", though?  No, not at all.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There was always the chance for a bummer of a fight.  That's the risk you get when you buy a pay per view, especially involving two fighters in their late 30s.

Athletes playing through pain is part of life.  I might feel different if Pac-man had gone into the fight with his arm hanging limp at his side, but he legitimately attempted to compete (and allegedly aggravated the injury in the 4th round).

In terms of feeling cheated, I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy.  If people want guaranteed results, order Wrestlemania.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
paying for the fight just brings to mind the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There was always the chance for a bummer of a fight.  That's the risk you get when you buy a pay per view, especially involving two fighters in their late 30s.

Athletes playing through pain is part of life.  I might feel different if Pac-man had gone into the fight with his arm hanging limp at his side, but he legitimately attempted to compete (and allegedly aggravated the injury in the 4th round).

In terms of feeling cheated, I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy.  If people want guaranteed results, order Wrestlemania.
Yeah but do they generally lie to the sanctioning body about said injury. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think athletes / professional teams regularly lie / hold back information about injuries.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think athletes / professional teams regularly lie / hold back information about injuries.

See N.F.L.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

See N.F.L.

And the NHL might be even worse.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think it's perfectly fine to be disappointed but at the end of the day, that's boxing and that's why I don't like it.  The one fight sport I actually like is Kickboxing because it's always action packed and entertaining.  This is boxing and why I don't watch it.  There are boxers that are fun, but the sport lost something and Mayweather fights well within in the rules just isn't entertaining.  And that counts for something to me.

For me, it was easy to predict Mayweather by Decision.  Not saying I'm an expert at all, or not that that was so hard to predict.  It was just easy to see how this was going to go.

Also, of course the fight took years longer than it should have.  These guys should have fought years ago  and that would have been a better fight.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Manny is a pale shadow of the guy who was destroying much bigger fighters like Margarito and Cotto six years ago.  He had plenty of power at welterweight.  Manny fell off his prime way more than Mayweather did in my estimation.  Would have been epic back around 2009 and Manny may well have won back then.  I rather suspected this fight would go as it did at this late date.  Manny's basically been through for a good 3 years now.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

See N.F.L.

And the NHL might be even worse.

Yeah they both can be.  You hear some crazy ones in the NFL like that Bernard Pollard was playing with 6 cracked ribs and re broke them at some point in the Playoffs.  That's a guy hitting people all game long in that condition.

People probably underrate how competitive athletes are too.  Most of the best ones have to be that competitive or they wouldn't have got there.

Like I mentioned, the shame for me is the fight should've been years ago, but of course boxing happened and it took forever, when the health for both of them was not where it was.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Manny is a pale shadow of the guy who was destroying much bigger fighters like Margarito and Cotto six years ago.  He had plenty of power at welterweight.  Manny fell off his prime way more than Mayweather did in my estimation.  Would have been epic back around 2009 and Manny may well have won back then.  I rather suspected this fight would go as it did at this late date.  Manny's basically been through for a good 3 years now.

Don't tell that to my fellow Filipinos, they'd go rabid on you.  ;)

I agree, Manny looks like he still got the agility and the hand speed, but his power dropped dramatically.

As for if I felt cheated. The fact that Manny lost made me feel like cheated. I was rooting heavy for him (Filipino pride plays a factor) and I'm very sad that not only did he lose, but he lost easy. And with this shoulder injury debacle makes me feel cheated much, much more. Part of me believes that $50 was worth it because Floyd was Floyd, and I knew coming in that it would be a treat to watch him counter punch (the clinching was meh, but that's boxing). The other half of what I paid for was Manny, and he failed to show up.

But hey, this isn't the first time I got cheated on PPV, so I'm pretty used to it (I'm looking at you WWE).
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Manny never had power at welterweight. His only 2 "knockouts" (and that's in quotes for a reason) at welterweight were against a washed-up Oscar De La Hoya (who retired on his stool) and Cotto at a catchweight below the welterweight limit. Given that Oscar is the only guy who was at the limit and he decided to quit because he didn't have it anymore, in one respect Manny has never actually knocked out a guy at welterweight. Also, he hasn't knocked out anyone in 6 years. Not even a TKO.

At featherweight and super featherweight Manny had great power. At welterweight not so much. And as you said, he's not what he once was. His warrior style - which everyone loves - doesn't typically lend itself to lengthy careers. He's a step slow and the punch output isn't what it once was. I wouldn't call him a pale shadow (Roy Jones Jr. is the definition of that!) but he's simply not elite - at least not with one arm.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
i wasn't cheated because there's no way would i ever pay for that fight. not only do i disagree with PPV fights in general (they have almost completely killed the sport, regardless of what the apologists say), but there's no way i'd ever give floyd "woman-beater" mayweather a dime of my money.

and IMO the real reason this fight was so big wasn't because of any resurgence in popularity of the sport, or because the purists really wanted to see an old, reduced mayweather and an old, greatly reduced pacquiao finally lace it up - the true allure to this fight was that most people just wanted to see mayweather get his face bashed in.

sadly, it was wishful thinking - this was a "match", not a "fight" from the beginning. neither fighter was hurt at any point in this fight (though there were a couple moments where mayweather looked slightly panicked). mayweather played to his strength, and was rewarded by the flawed rules system that is making the sport increasingly boring. 

and what incentive is there  in a big-money fight for the guys to risk severe injury, when they're assured a massive purse regardless? they can just dance around and trade a few jabs, and win on points, or at least look decent in a close loss. get into trouble? just hold or play some rope-a-dope. the judges won't punish you for either strategy (even if you get absolutely bludgeoned during rope-a-dope, the way muhammad ali used to). for some reason the sport has become more and more accepting of this garbage.