Poll

If the 2009 was taken today who goes first?

Blake Griffin
10 (40%)
James Harden
3 (12%)
Stephen Curry
9 (36%)
Someone else (because I'm a crazy person)
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: 2009 Re-Draft - Who goes 1st?  (Read 1958 times)

2009 Re-Draft - Who goes 1st?
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Mike and Mike was talking about this this morning.  Thought it was an interesting topic.  If you had the first pick in that draft, who do you take knowing what you know today?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: 2009 Re-Draft - Who goes 1st?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think you still take Blake first overall, even if Curry could potentially go down as the greatest shooter in NBA history. The PG position is still too deep to pass on a top-5 big.

I'm not willing to cast a vote on that, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably go Griffin just because I prefer to build inside/out.

I'm not sure you can really go wrong here, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Griffin, Curry, Harden. In that order. Neither of these guys are significantly better than the other. You take the big man.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Blake.  Take the big man who is having a coming out party in the playoffs at this point. 

As other have said, there is a lot of good PG out there (helped a lot by rule changes).

Not that many big men out there.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I'd have to take Harden first, then Griffin, Curry. Harden has proven to be a franchise guy this season and has single handedly taken his team to the playoff without a healthy Howard, also his game will transition with age as its not predicated on physicality or hops. Griffin would only be second because of the projected longevity of my franchise man as his game requires physicality and hops to dominate. Curry is a worthy MVP this year but he also had the best team around him and a system not completely revolving through him like Harden.

But like others have said, you can't really go wrong with either three, it's more like 1a, 1b, 1c then 1,2,3.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I went with Blake Griffin because big men in the league are harder to find than guards. Griffin has now developed a solid jump shot, post moves and isn't just a dunker anymore. Offensively and defensively he has became an overall player. Rebounds, assist, block shots, and scores. Stepped up when the game matters most when CP3 is out.

Not that Steph Curry isn't a great player, but I'd take a solid big man like Griffin over a guard.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Mike and Mike was talking about this this morning.  Thought it was an interesting topic.  If you had the first pick in that draft, who do you take knowing what you know today?

It's a great debate and one that will not be resolved for another decade.... if at all. However, right now I would re-draft in this order

1. Harden
2. Blake
3. Curry

The MVP 3d?!?!?!?

Crazy I know.

The thing is that all three players are so young and still getting better. So, I am looking at each players ceiling first, career arch, etc... not how they performed this season alone.

I was tempted to go Blake #1 b/c he's a big and is going completely nuts this post-season. However, IMO Harden has the highest ceiling of the bunch.

Mk

P.S. The rumors that Danny was initially going after Harden, not Green, in the Perk swap is still pretty haunting to me. Well, that and the 2013 draft, when Danny traded up to take KO over two players that he was linked to, Giannis & Dennis Schröder.

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I like how two people said Harden yet Harden has 0 votes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If I had an order

1)  Blake
2) Curry
3)  Harden  (need to see him step up more in the playoffs more consistently)

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ask me after the playoffs

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Sorry it was too hard not to pass up 

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
If you asked me last year I would've said Curry. A few months ago I would say Harden, today I would say Blake. When they were drafted I said Blake, but I didn't think any of those three was gonna be this good.

That's the thing though, they're so close that whoever had the most recent dominant stretch is who I end up picking. So, I guess you gotta go with the big. Guards are easier to come by. But I wouldn't say that if Griffin hadn't developed the way he has. When he came into the league he was a freak athlete who beat you with freak athleticism. Now, he's so much more of a complete player. He still has the hops and the highlight reel plays, but he has an adept post game, a very good and still improving jump shot, is an excellent passer for a big man, does more than just block shots on defense and steps up when he's needed. He's one of the best, if not THE best power forward in the game and he deserves a lot of credit for working so hard at making himself such a versatile player.

Still, when we lost to the Warriors late in the year and Curry led their comeback draining all those contested 3's I said "Jesus Christ, that kid is the best player I've seen all year", so it's totally 1 A, B and C.

1A) Griffin.    1B) Curry.      1C) Harden

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hasheem Thabeet with Jonny Flynn at a close second.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
What a draft class. I think you take Griffin #1, as he's easier to build around with all the depth at the PG position right now. I know Harden is a SG, but he's a ball-dominant SG who plays more like a PG. Then between Harden and Steph it is so close. I think Steph is a slightly better player overall, but he's also ~1.5yrs older than Harden.