Author Topic: Cockeyed optimists  (Read 7172 times)

Re: Cockeyed optimists
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
2007 was very different. Celtics had a star in Pierce and KG and Allen were coming from losing teams. It made sense for all to put them together.

My original post was very much based on looking at the available UFAs and RFAs and the possibility of players who fit Celts’ needs. Go to list of all free agents  at http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2015.htm. Also open ESPN trade machine to see rosters and salaries of teams. My conclusions are based on having done that.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I have a medium-sized bag of Celtics green in my living room, and it's telling me next year is the year for Banner 18.

So what now, trade machine guy?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
Hope you are correct.  him

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Agreed -- Greg Monroe is most gettable FA on the market. He should be #1 priority.

Then make a run at some of those restricted FAs, cross your fingers and hope you get one of those SFs (T.Harris, K.Middleton).

I thought that he "committed" to NY and P Jax? what i mean is he's said via his agent that he's interested in NYK.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I just want to get down to it...who on Western Conference team thats a FA or RFA will switch to an Eastern Conference team. If you start to think about it, most of the WC teams have more 'star power' FA or RFA than the EC....

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Why shouldn't we be optimistic? Great GM, Coach, recently overachieved, no bad multi year contracts, tons of extra picks, and tons of cap space for the next 3 off seasons. Why not be optimistic?

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 12:06:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why shouldn't we be optimistic? Great GM, Coach, recently overachieved, no bad multi year contracts, tons of extra picks, and tons of cap space for the next 3 off seasons. Why not be optimistic?

I suppose the idea is that optimism, if taken too far, can lead to let downs.  Sometimes, maybe, greater happiness comes from having realistic expectations for the future.

My point is just that I don't think naysaying around here is always just about tearing down people who choose to be optimistic.  Perhaps there's at least a kernel of good will in it somewhere.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
What is considered Realistic?  That this team isn't going to be good?

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What is considered Realistic?  That this team isn't going to be good?

Heh.  Therein lies the root of all the argument around here.  :)

I've made all kinds of posts indicating what I think is realistic.

Suffice to say, my opinion is that Ainge might significantly upgrade the roster this summer, but the opportunities are likely to be closer to the ones the OP discusses (e.g. Monroe) rather than the most exciting ones (e.g. Love, Aldridge).

If substantially the same roster heads into next season, I think anywhere from 30-45 wins will be in play.  Yeah, 30 games is significantly lower than they managed this season.  But young teams regularly underperform, for various reasons, after surprising the year before.

But we really don't know what the prospects are for next year until at least the draft and the early part of free agency.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:11 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
Lots of posters here have unrealistic expectations, some downright silly. I really enjoyed this team, and am optimistic of internal improvement. Crowder does everything really well except outside shooting and shooting off dribble.Those are things guys improve. Same for Smart with all of his offensive game. I've always liked Sullinger and if he can drop some weight he's a borderline all-star.

To reach higher, they must get lucky with a non-lottery pick, ala Leonard, Butler, Harris, Middleton. It's just very hard to see a star coming to Celts this off-season outside a trade that includes current guys I really like.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:00:53 PM by oldutican »

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think this season caused some fans to get carried away, but at the same time it did demonstrate some points that are legitimate reasons for optimism. Point one is the value of player development and great coaching. There's no reason to think that our players won't continue to grow. Point two is trades. Nobody could've anticipated the IT trade this time last year, and it only took Ainge like one late 1st to land him. It was lucky, of course, but also you have to think that with our stable of assets there will be more opportunities down the road.

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Because most of us have also grown up as Red Sox fans.  Pessimism is in the blood. ;)

To answer the OP's question, the thing that is most likely to bring a free agent here is a check with a lot of zeroes.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Crowder does everything really well except outside shooting and shooting off dribble.Those are things guys improve. Same for Smart with all of his offensive game. I've always liked Sullinger and if he can drop some weight he's a borderline all-star.

Shooting in general is a large part of the game and I think the "glue-guy" goes overboard in terms of rating Crowder.   It was a contract year, the guy plays hard but I almost puked in my mouth when I saw him launch a three early in the shot clock when he did it.   He should never be the first option on offense given his present skill level and talent.

Smart, I think will improve.   He is staying most of the summer in Boston and working with the guy who honed Klay Thompson.

Sullinger, has a finite talent base but is already skilled.  He is not a good athlete, was top five bottom in his combine, and that is only going to improve marginally by him getting in shape because he was in better shape at the combine.   I love his hands and knack for rebounding but he is a pathetic defender.  Despite supposedly, saying he would get in shape the last two years and working on his three, he didn't show aptitude.   I think he could be a decent player, but borderline all star is a stretch as long as he tries to be something he is not and that is a long range marksman.   He needs to embrace the dirty work and get into the trenches of the low post where his hands and rebounding knack can help us and he is a much more effective low post player.   I think he has a nice mid range, I just do not want him shooting threes.   Other teams do not even respect it and give it to him.   Good players play to their strengths.   Third year, Sully pales next to Kevin Love, and it is not even close.

We are a team full of bench players and we need stars.  Stars are harder to add, I trust Ainge, and  I warn people to not be too attached to anyone.  Ainge thinks with logic, not his heart and he will do what it takes to improve the team and get a star or two.  This may involved trading some guys now or signing a guy who he thinks will be a star.   I think he will try to get a free agent of impact but it will be hard with our team and the weather to sell them.

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We have a young team, a really good coach and danny ainge has multiple draft picks coming up.  This team is going to be great.  It may not happen this offseason but something is going to happen soon.   Major changes may not happen this offseason but we should be a better team come next year.

WE have players on affordable contracts as well and 5 draft picks coming up in the next two drafts.  Do you think Ainge isn't going to make this team a contender in that period?

There is a lot to be optimistic about. Not just the future but the players we have as well.  That is realistic.

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 02:00:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'll go down the list

Marcus Smart-May already be a top perimeter defender and he was a rookie. He can be the best defensive player in the game. He is on a rookie contract.

AB-Signed long term at a reasonable rate. Had a breakout season this p ast year and continues to improve despite his limitations.  I was reading an article naming the most fearsome on ball defenders in the game and AB was listed as 2nd in the league only to tony allen.  AB is worth every penny.

Isiaih Thomas-Signed to a nice deal and was our best scorer last year.

Crowder-Ainge got a guy to replace Bass who can stretch the floor and lead this team by example with his grit and unselfish play.  He is a really good 6th man ultimately but can also start.

james young-Rookie.  Low risk, high reward stretch wing with athletism.

Sullinger-He's ahd his issues but still on a rookie contract.  He played like a top 10 player in spurts this past season.  He hurt himself because of conditioning or whatever.  He hasn't broken out yet.  It's still a question but Sully can be our best player at times.

KO-Another stretch 4, who is on a rookie deal and has had his ups and downs as well but compliments sully well.  Neither guy is a great defender but coaching can do wonders.

Zeller-Another inexpensive option we got for cheap.  Still young.  Good backup but can start.

Turner-BEtter option than rondo and tops with Isiah as far as a creater right now.  1 more year on his 2 year deal which was more than reasonable considering his age, role and production.

jerebko and Gigi-Outplayed their expectations and probably earned the right to stay or play somewhere.

Pressey-also was worth his contract and played well in spurts.  Has potential to stick with this team as an end of bench guy but that's going to be tough.   Still like Pressey. 

The Bad-

Gerald Wallace

On the way out-

Bass
Babb

On the way in

2 Draft picks and free agent and trade options, plus a whole boatload of other draft picks to play around with.

As it stands we are a playoff team.  Bottom of the barrell but we should be able to improve.