Author Topic: Robert Upshaw - the next Andre Drummond?  (Read 8574 times)

Re: Robert Upshaw - the next Andre Drummond?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I wouldn't risk a first round pick on this two-time screwup.  He would be worth a shot at #33, in the unlikely event he gets his head together and realizes his potential as a big-time NBA center.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He will be in the league for fewer games than Fab Melo was.

Odds are - you are right. But what does Bobbi Potris do for us (currently slotted at 16) or Chris McCullah (at 28)? Do we need more bench level PF? We are not talking Blue Chip players here. We need to reach so we don't miss the next Gianis or Gobert... even with his warts Upshaw has enough potential to risk a mid to low pick.
at #33 or even #28 - worth the risk.  at #16, no.  if there at #28 I'd still prefer to take someone who's less risky since that's a guaranteed contract as opposed to #33 where it's not guaranteed and you can make him earn the next deal by working for it. 

I don't see this kid as the next Drummond or even Robin Lopez.  we'd be lucky if he became the next Perk but he's more likely to be the next Fab

Fab Melo was actually physically one of the best talents for his height/weight probably since Shaq.....and before anyone jumps down my throat watch highlights of him in college he moves like someone half his size and his footwork is extremely good, the only problem with him was he had the worse I.Q's basketball/intelligence I've ever seen in the NBA and was a true 7 footer with size unlike Howard(6'9) or Jordan (who is quite thin).

Upshaw is just a bad kid (kicked out of 2 programs) with very little athleticism, skills and movement...I wouldn't go near him the only big guy I'd take a chance on is Dakari Johnson as his playing time at Kentucky was very limited and showed flashes of potential ala Perk

Don't agree on Upshaw - but agree on Dakari. If we don't get Upshaw, I like Dakary as a consolation prize (;
I'd prefer Dakari personally -- less offcourt issues and more likely to achieve a Perk-level of usefulness than Upshaw who's a significant risk to be a Fab-level of uselessness.  Not saying Upshaw is the same player as Perk or Fab, just using them as relative levels of NBA success.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Some flashes of Derick Coleman post moves and Camby shot blocking ability.

A risk at #16 but a good pick late in the first.

He may not be available at #25.

He's got upside. And we have plenty of room and assets to take a gamble on clearly a top prospect in this draft. I think it's safe to say that he's one, if not of the BPA from our range.

I won't wait. Sure, the attitude problem needs work. But trust the office to do a good job in handling that, snag that good talent before someone else does.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Odds are - you are right. But what does Bobbi Potris do for us (currently slotted at 16) or Chris McCullah (at 28)? Do we need more bench level PF? We are not talking Blue Chip players here. We need to reach so we don't miss the next Gianis or Gobert... even with his warts Upshaw has enough potential to risk a mid to low pick.
at #33 or even #28 - worth the risk.  at #16, no.  if there at #28 I'd still prefer to take someone who's less risky since that's a guaranteed contract as opposed to #33 where it's not guaranteed and you can make him earn the next deal by working for it. 

I don't see this kid as the next Drummond or even Robin Lopez.  we'd be lucky if he became the next Perk but he's more likely to be the next Fab

Fab Melo was actually physically one of the best talents for his height/weight probably since Shaq.....and before anyone jumps down my throat watch highlights of him in college he moves like someone half his size and his footwork is extremely good, the only problem with him was he had the worse I.Q's basketball/intelligence I've ever seen in the NBA and was a true 7 footer with size unlike Howard(6'9) or Jordan (who is quite thin).

Upshaw is just a bad kid (kicked out of 2 programs) with very little athleticism, skills and movement...I wouldn't go near him the only big guy I'd take a chance on is Dakari Johnson as his playing time at Kentucky was very limited and showed flashes of potential ala Perk

Don't agree on Upshaw - but agree on Dakari. If we don't get Upshaw, I like Dakary as a consolation prize (;
I'd prefer Dakari personally -- less offcourt issues and more likely to achieve a Perk-level of usefulness than Upshaw who's a significant risk to be a Fab-level of uselessness.  Not saying Upshaw is the same player as Perk or Fab, just using them as relative levels of NBA success.

I don't get the Fab Melo comparison, at all...

Upshaw is already a better rebounder, and has better inside game and touch around the rim. He's got better feel for the game than Fab, who's obviously a novice on the court

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

He's got upside. And we have plenty of room and assets to take a gamble on clearly a top prospect in this draft. I think it's safe to say that he's one, if not of the BPA from our range.

I won't wait. Sure, the attitude problem needs work. But trust the office to do a good job in handling that, snag that good talent before someone else does.

I'd let him go if somebody is willing to take him at #25.  Too much uncertainty.  The #16 should be somebody who has a decent chance of turning into a starter. 

The later picks can be gambled.  At #28, I'd rather draft a player who has a 10% chance of being an A and a 90% chance of being an F, rather than a guy who has a 100% chance of being a C+.  That's one of the things I liked about the Melo pick last year.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Fab Melo - can't cut it in Puerto Rican League....
"Former Syracuse center Fab Melo signs contract with worst team in Puerto Rican league"
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/04/former_syracuse_center_fab_melo_signs_contact_with_worst_team_in_puerto_rican_le.html

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'd let him go if somebody is willing to take him at #25.  Too much uncertainty.  The #16 should be somebody who has a decent chance of turning into a starter. 

The later picks can be gambled.  At #28, I'd rather draft a player who has a 10% chance of being an A and a 90% chance of being an F, rather than a guy who has a 100% chance of being a C+.  That's one of the things I liked about the Melo pick last year.

Mike

At #16, he's one guy who has a decent chance to be a starter. Probably have a better chance than everyone else.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's put it this way: Drummond had nearly as many red flags and question marks about him before the draft that year, and yet he was selected in the top 10 of a draft that was considered very good at the time.

Upshaw, in a weak draft, is slated to go at the end of the 1st round, or perhaps the beginning of the second round.  He might slip even further if nobody is interested in taking a chance on a guy who very well may go through a few teams before he figures out how to stick in the league, if at all.

So ... no, probably not the next Drummond.

The next Hassan Whiteside?  Could be.  But that's not necessarily a nice name to use as a comparison for a draft pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Defensively, I think he's a lot like Whiteside, especially in terms of how he blocks shots, but he's nothing like Hassan offensively right now.  Forgive me, but I don't see the Drummond comparison at all.  Andre is the better rebounder (I think), but Upshaw is the far superior shot blocker.  The only category in which they're similar is, unfortunately, free throw shooting, lol ;D.  I wouldn't take him at 16, but he might not be there are 33, because Minnesota and Houston pick right before us at the start of the second round, and they both really know how to draft.  However, if we were to take Upshaw at 28, the risk is that you're then giving both of those teams a chance to take Tyler Harvey, and they won't pass him up.  I could see him going in the first round to San Antonio, Houston, or Chicago, which would royally suck because he'd be great here, imo.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:25 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
It seems like he was dismissed due to failing multiple drug tests :/
ESPN reported Upshaw failed multiple drug tests at Washington.

Multiple sources close to the Huskies told The Seattle Times that Upshaw had been under a strict “last-straw” policy and subject to frequent drug tests at UW, which stemmed from a punishment last year when he was prohibited from practicing or attending games midway through the 2013-14 season.
(For those interested: http://old.seattletimes.com/html/huskybasketball/2025550843_uwmenupshawdismissed27xml.html)

Is this just another Larry Sanders case? If he can't get his head straight then no thanks...
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I realize I may be in the minority here, but I'd rather draft someone who failed drug tests than someone who is involved with domestic violence calls.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I realize I may be in the minority here, but I'd rather draft someone who failed drug tests than someone who is involved with domestic violence calls.
I hope you're not in the minority on that.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

You are wrong about that.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements.php

Here is the most comprehensive list out there for physical and length measurements.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »

• Ray Allen
IMPORTANT:

Upshaw has not been measured in 4 years. It is indeed very possible, NAY likely that his wingspan has increased. I bet if Upshaw is measured at the combine with a 7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach; he will be picked in the very late teens or early 20's. With the salary cap going up the dif in salary would be less of a hit.

Also an increase in length in 4 years would help account for him blocking 4.5 shots a game. Remeber he did not start and only played 23 mins a game.

Finally if CBS interviews him and likes him I'd be down with getting Upshaw....after we trade a player/s to get Myles Turner.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »

• Ray Allen
Does anybody know what drugs he was taking? Theres a far gap between weed and crack