Author Topic: Robert Upshaw - the next Andre Drummond?  (Read 8582 times)

Robert Upshaw - the next Andre Drummond?
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I know I am not the first to post on this topic, but I really think we have to gamble on Robert Upshaw. I know he has a TON of red flags BUT - he is basically an Andre Drummond type prospect. Yes, he will most likely end up a bust - but if you are not drafting in the top 4 (maybe 6) you HAVE to take that risk.

Here is how Upshaw and Drummond Stack up:
Upshaw is 2" taller (7" vs. 6"10) but has a slightly shorter reach (7"4 vs. 7"6)
Both we around 265lbs  in college (Drummond is now around 280 - 290) - huge dudes. Both are extremely athletic and nimble for their size.

In College, Andre had 10 pts, 7.5 rebs, 2.7 blk  (28 min 55% from the field 30% ft)
Upshaw had 11 pts, 8 rebs, 4.5 blk  (25min 60% from the field 45% ft)

Similar - but Upshaw seems better. Granted,did this at a much younger age - and his issues though similar to Upshaw were never quite as bad.

Still - I feel the Celtics HAVE to roll the dice on this guy. Even at 16 - it is a risk worth taking since there are NO OTHER GAME CHANGERS out there...

Your thoughts?

Re: Robert Upshaw - the next Andre Drummond?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
BIG risk at 16...he could flame out.

I would pick him at 28.

But Andre is much more athletic.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I know I am not the first to post on this topic, but I really think we have to gamble on Robert Upshaw. I know he has a TON of red flags BUT - he is basically an Andre Drummond type prospect. Yes, he will most likely end up a bust - but if you are not drafting in the top 4 (maybe 6) you HAVE to take that risk.

Upshaw is 2" taller (7" vs. 6"10) but has a slightly shorter reach (7"4 vs. 7"6)
Both we around 265lbs  in college (Drummond is now around 280 - 290) - huge dudes. Both are extremely athletic and nimble for their size.

In College, Andre had 10 pts, 7.5 rebs, 2.7 blk  (28 min 55% from the field 30% ft)

Similar - but Upshaw seems better. Granted,did this at a much younger age - and his issues though similar to Upshaw were never quite as bad.

Still - I feel the Celtics HAVE to roll the dice on this guy. Even at 16 - it is a risk worth taking since there are NO OTHER GAME CHANGERS out there...

Your thoughts?

Upshaw is older, less mobile and alot less explosive. They are actually the same age right now. I'm not against trading up from #28 to take a shot at Upshaw but people need to have reasonable expectations. He is a similar prospect to Fab Melo the upside is there but its unlikely he reaches it. If he does he could be a very good defensive center but more Robin Lopez then D Drummond.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:05:15 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

Your thoughts?

Upshaw is older, less mobile and alot less explosive. They are actually the same age right now. I'm not against trading up from #28 to take a shot at Upshaw but people need to have reasonable expectations. He is a similar prospect to Fab Melo the upside is there but its unlikely he reaches it. If he does he could be a very good defensive center but more Robin Lopez then D Drummond.

I agree he is not likely to be Andre Drummond, and did mention the age as something of an upsde limiter - but comparing him to Feb Melo is going wwwwaaayyy to far in the other direction. Fab was never the player Upshaw is (look at the stats) he average less points, rebounds and blocks for the same minutes. Also look at the eye test - Besides lacking the dominating physique and the shorter arms - one look atFab's dopey face is all you need....

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He will be in the league for fewer games than Fab Melo was.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

Odds are - you are right. But what does Bobbi Potris do for us (currently slotted at 16) or Chris McCullah (at 28)? Do we need more bench level PF? We are not talking Blue Chip players here. We need to reach so we don't miss the next Gianis or Gobert... even with his warts Upshaw has enough potential to risk a mid to low pick.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Odds are - you are right. But what does Bobbi Potris do for us (currently slotted at 16) or Chris McCullah (at 28)? Do we need more bench level PF? We are not talking Blue Chip players here. We need to reach so we don't miss the next Gianis or Gobert... even with his warts Upshaw has enough potential to risk a mid to low pick.
at #33 or even #28 - worth the risk.  at #16, no.  if there at #28 I'd still prefer to take someone who's less risky since that's a guaranteed contract as opposed to #33 where it's not guaranteed and you can make him earn the next deal by working for it. 

I don't see this kid as the next Drummond or even Robin Lopez.  we'd be lucky if he became the next Perk but he's more likely to be the next Fab. 

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Your thoughts?

I agree he is not likely to be Andre Drummond, and did mention the age as something of an upsde limiter - but comparing him to Feb Melo is going wwwwaaayyy to far in the other direction. Fab was never the player Upshaw is (look at the stats) he average less points, rebounds and blocks for the same minutes. Also look at the eye test - Besides lacking the dominating physique and the shorter arms - one look atFab's dopey face is all you need....

Not saying they are the same player but both are defensive bigs with great physical profiles and red flags coming into the draft. Both where/are high risk picks.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

at #33 or even #28 - worth the risk.  at #16, no.  if there at #28 I'd still prefer to take someone who's less risky since that's a guaranteed contract as opposed to #33 where it's not guaranteed and you can make him earn the next deal by working for it. 

I don't see this kid as the next Drummond or even Robin Lopez.  we'd be lucky if he became the next Perk but he's more likely to be the next Fab

Fab Melo was actually physically one of the best talents for his height/weight probably since Shaq.....and before anyone jumps down my throat watch highlights of him in college he moves like someone half his size and his footwork is extremely good, the only problem with him was he had the worse I.Q's basketball/intelligence I've ever seen in the NBA and was a true 7 footer with size unlike Howard(6'9) or Jordan (who is quite thin).

Upshaw is just a bad kid (kicked out of 2 programs) with very little athleticism, skills and movement...I wouldn't go near him the only big guy I'd take a chance on is Dakari Johnson as his playing time at Kentucky was very limited and showed flashes of potential ala Perk

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm probably the only one (outside of OP) that would be willing to reach for him at #16.

I said this before and I said it again. From where we are picking, he's got one, if not the most upside out of any that could be available. I understand that he's got red flags and picking him at #16 is picking him way too early (i don't think so), but why pass on a 7 footer who showed improvement this year that has very good potential to be not only a rim protector, but an inside presence on offense. Not to mention that he will fill a need.

I like him as the #16. A lot of people said we can wait until the #28 to pick him, as that is where he's pretty much slotted, and I say he won't be available until then. Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis (two of them) and Portland will have Free Agent Centers, and could potentially be landing spots for Upshaw. The Lakers pick ahead of us and they need a Center. For us to wait at #28 will be too long a wait. I see people say trading down, true, but what's stopping the teams who gets our #16 to grab him then?

He's got very good upside. Of course the red flags need work, but there's a good player waiting to happen on Robert Upshaw. We need to snag him before anyone else does.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Talent wise, Upshaw is a top 10 pick. Getting kicked out of two colleges is very worrying though. I don't why that happened. Without more information, I'd say yes and take the gamble on him.

I would be happy to take Upshaw at #16. He won't play much his first year or two because his fundamentals are terrible (he will be a foul machine in NBA). But if he works hard, I think he can grow into an average to above average starting center.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

I don't see this kid as the next Drummond or even Robin Lopez.  we'd be lucky if he became the next Perk but he's more likely to be the next Fab

Fab Melo was actually physically one of the best talents for his height/weight probably since Shaq.....and before anyone jumps down my throat watch highlights of him in college he moves like someone half his size and his footwork is extremely good, the only problem with him was he had the worse I.Q's basketball/intelligence I've ever seen in the NBA and was a true 7 footer with size unlike Howard(6'9) or Jordan (who is quite thin).

Upshaw is just a bad kid (kicked out of 2 programs) with very little athleticism, skills and movement...I wouldn't go near him the only big guy I'd take a chance on is Dakari Johnson as his playing time at Kentucky was very limited and showed flashes of potential ala Perk

Don't agree on Upshaw - but agree on Dakari. If we don't get Upshaw, I like Dakary as a consolation prize (;

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kicked out of 2 programs?  That screams uncoachable to me.  No way I'd take him with #16.  With #33 or 45?  Ok.  The contracts are not guaranteed in round 2.  And I bet he slides quite a bit.

Honestly I'd rather use #16 in a package trade to either move up or trade for a proven player/star to bring to the Celtics.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Some flashes of Derick Coleman post moves and Camby shot blocking ability.

A risk at #16 but a good pick late in the first.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I'll bet a Tommy point on that.

Fab Mello didn't do anything at the collegian level to warrant any type of interest he drew from Danny or any other NBA team. It was DA taking a shot at filling a hole that the team desperatly needed to fill, as we now see.

Upshaw was leading the NCAA in blocked shots, he was gaining recognition nationally before he screwed up. Comparing him with Drummond many be a stretch, but taking a shot on a kid that can help with our pathetic rim protection is worth a good look in my eyes.

As I look at our position in the draft, and look at the group of free agent big men we may not have a shot at, taking a chance on Robert Upshaw as a second or third pick not be all that bad.