Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (half silly, half serious question)  (Read 4026 times)

Jimmy Butler (half silly, half serious question)
« on: May 05, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqY3XDTzz0

After appreciating his game, and liking him more as a player than any one in the league (including the tricky Curry and Irving, and hitman K. O'Clinic), I have an honest, silly, but serious question...

Given the well-documented growing cap over the next two years, do you believe this guy is worth 2x the max? Literally, hypothetically (tho not possible), using 2/3 max contracts to get this guy. I am so obsessed it has become unhealthy.

While I have no strong opinion re: the quote, he was labeled "possibly the best 2 way player in the league" during the Bulls vs. Cavs game tonight. Very humble background. Tough player. Continues to improve. Seems like he would be a great guy to grow around in creating a healthy, positive, hard-working atmosphere.

I obviously would give this guy what my friends and I joke is the "double max." I am wondering how others view him, his game, and his value at this point in time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:12:04 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Jimmy Butler (half silly, half serious question)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:29:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Dbl max? I barely see him as a max guy. He is productive but with all mins played a max guy should put up better total #s. I like Butler and he deserves the max because the league overall lacks talent. I would say there are about 20-25 players I would take over Jimmy. That puts him just inside the max player upper NBA talent tier. (TWIMC, I think top 30 guys in the league should get full max).  If he was in the top 10 then we could talk more than the max. He is absolutely worth the under 6 years max.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:34 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
That's fair. I am admittedly very biased. How would you compare his worth to D. Cousins?

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
That's fair. I am admittedly very biased. How would you compare his worth to D. Cousins?
Probably half of Cousins. Cousins is top ten player for me but I am ignoring his mental instability and just going by talent.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:56:05 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Yeah, Cousins is tough to make a decision about. Probably have to take a flyer on him if you can, but I would have some concerns.

Part of the reason I like Butler is I think he makes big plays that don't necessarily show up on the box score. He took a couple charges against LeBron tonight that I thought were pretty impressive. And his mentality seems very strong. I may be stuck on having our star be a guy that I really like from a personality standpoint, someone that can create a hard-nosed, responsible, winning culture.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Weid thing about Bulls and Cousins. If Bulls could trade Noah and Butler for Cousins I'd pass but Rose and Noah yes because I don't trust Rose. That can tell ya how much I like Butler and how little I  like Noah and Rose lol.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 03:01:15 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Yeah, Cousins is tough to make a decision about. Probably have to take a flyer on him if you can, but I would have some concerns.

Part of the reason I like Butler is I think he makes big plays that don't necessarily show up on the box score. He took a couple charges against LeBron tonight that I thought were pretty impressive. And his mentality seems very strong. I may be stuck on having our star be a guy that I really like from a personality standpoint, someone that can create a hard-nosed, responsible, winning culture.
Well good news is Smart is already capable of building that culture. I wouldn't mind Butler but Chicago will never let him go.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:14:11 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I agree, Chicago probably won't let him go. I am hopeful re: Smart, too. He is young, but if the offense develops alongside the defense, we could definitely have a solid starter that can help shape a strong locker-room culture.

Edit: Just watched highlights from Boogie's game against Pelicans last month - 24, 20, 13, 4... wow. Not sold that we have enough to land him, but wow..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:27:01 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:26:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Given the well-documented growing cap over the next two years, do you believe this guy is worth 2x the max? Literally, hypothetically (tho not possible), using 2/3 max contracts to get this guy. I am so obsessed it has become unhealthy
  Nope, not possible anyways the way the league is set up no one is worth double the max.   The max is the max.   Is he is max player, that is debatable, we will know more after these series.   So far he looks like a max player vs. the Cavs.   He had a great move in the final minutes of last night's game but he shot free throws poorly down the stretch as did most of the bulls.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I was watching the Bulls last night.
I realize Buttler and Smart have a lot in common :
- Great defense
- Strong confidence
- Leadership mentality
Smart has 2 years to improve his offensive game and we'll have our "Jimmy".
Considering what Smart has shown in college offensively, I don't think it's unlikely he will become as good as Buttler.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Does anyone think Crowder may have a breakthrough season and become the next Butler or Leonard?

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Does anyone think Crowder may have a breakthrough season and become the next Butler or Leonard?

I love Crowder, but nope, sorry.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Absolutely love Crowder too. Don't think he will ever be able to expand his game offensively to be a Butler-type, but I would very willingly overpay him. Those tough, defensive, focused glue-guys have always gone a long way imo.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 02:09:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I hate Crowder so no

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 02:14:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I hate Crowder so no
Lol. We aren't even on the same page, but different books? What are your thoughts regarding Crowder? Very interested because, again, I could be seeing him through rose-colored glasses based on my general preference for defensive-minded players.