Author Topic: Interested in Roy Hibbert?  (Read 2397 times)

Interested in Roy Hibbert?
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Seems with Larry Birds comments at the end of the season about cutting Hibberts minutes and playing faster, Roy may be on the outs in Indiana.

Should Ainge pursue him? Would you do Wallace and #16?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Interested in Roy Hibbert?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:09:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I am interested. I think Hibbert is an excellent buy low trade opportunity.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:13:42 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Depends on his price I suppose. When we were looking at McGee at the end of the year, most figured he'd play a 20mpg role strictly for his rim-protection which is so sorely needed on our team. If we got Hibbert, that's what I'd want from him as well. Idk about having him as your starting 5, especially in an offensive system like Brad's. Just too slow, limited and inconsistent. But in a very strict role, I would certainly have interest. He's been probably the best defensive center in the league the past few years.

Even if you include Wallace, you can't include 16 to get him because then we lose our chance to trade up. 28 or 33 and the '16 MIA 2nd maybe. Is he 30 yet? Gotta be close

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Seems with Larry Birds comments at the end of the season about cutting Hibberts minutes and playing faster, Roy may be on the outs in Indiana.

Nah, and Bird should just keep him, imo, while we should address the problem we have inside by taking Upshaw (at some point in the draft).  I've always liked Hibbert, but he'll already be 30 next year and he doesn't exactly fit on our team, imo.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »

Offline JCeltic777

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'd rather ainge sign tyson chandler, especially if the Deandre Jordan rumor to the mavs is true. Better player, dont need to give up picks.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I think getting rid of Wallace is almost worth trading #16 on it's own...that opens up a lot of extra cap space in the offseason.

What would we likely use that cap space for?  Probably trying to sign a capable rim protector to fill a major hole on the team.

So if you can trade Wallace and #16 FOR an established rim protector, all the better - you're just bypassing one step of the process.

I'd rather give up a pick and useless player to acquire a rim protector rather than use cap space if the option is there.  Past history tells us that a pick in the #16 range isn't likely to get you a game-changing player, and the highest Danny can likely move by trading it is to maybe #12 or #13 which is still far from a sure thing.

At least with a guy like Hibbert you have a sure thing - you know what he gives you.  You fill a need, and then you can use your cap space to sign a volume scorer if/when one becomes available.

An interesting article:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1903192-secrets-to-roy-hibberts-elite-defense

Some points from the article that I found interesting (note, this is an article from last season):

The Pacers give up the lowest field-goal percentage in the league in the restricted area at 54.5 percent. The league-wide average is 60.0 percent. When Hibbert is directly defending the rim, the Pacers give up just 41.4 percent. When he’s not, they give up 58.7 percent. That’s what the San Antonio Spurs, 11th in the league, allow.

It has a ripple effect too. While the Pacers are also the best team in the league defending the three, they are even better defending the deep ball when Hibbert is on the court. They surrender a rate of just 31.4 percent when he’s on compared to 32.6 percent when he’s off.

The security he provides allows perimeter defenders to feel safer stepping out to challenge the three, knowing if they get beat off the dribble, they’re covered.

Per Synergy (subscription required), Hibbert gives up an insane .51 points per play on post-up plays on 28.8 percent shooting. You can't just move a guy that big out of the way. You don’t back him down or shoot over him either.

The other thing that Hibbert has mastered is going straight up to block shots. He doesn’t jump forward, a mistake a lot of players make. The key is verticality. Blocking and charging fouls aren’t decided by where your feet are. They’re determined by whether your body and arms are moving. Hibbert has mastered going perpendicular, including his arms.

When you’re 7’2”, have a 7’4” wingspan and are jumping, it’s a lot for an opponent to shoot over.

Adding to all the impressive things that Hibbert does is what he doesn’t do. He plays as tough and physical as he does without fouling a lot.

He is currently averaging 2.8 blocks and just 3.1 fouls per game while boasting a defensive rating of 93. Per Basketball-Reference’s Game Finder, he’s only the sixth player in history to achieve those particular numbers.

Three of the previous five, Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Elvin Hayes, are in the Hall of Fame. The other two, Ben Wallace and Dikembe Mutombo, share the record for most Defensive Player of the Year Awards at four apiece.

Again, I know this is based on numbers from last season...but highly impressive all the same. 

With Hibbert protecting the basket, can you even imagine how much more effective the Defensive Duo or Bradley/Smart cold be on the perimeter?  It would also reduce the defensive risk of having IT out there, and offset any defensive limitations of Sully and Olynyk.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:52:18 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hibbert plays Dino basketball...super slow ....even Perk can guard him.

Doesn't fit what CBS is doing....

We need an athletic big like DJ

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 10:43:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hibbert had a good run for a few years there with the Pacers, but I would stay far far away from him. He is going to be way too expensive on his next contract and he offers little to no versatility which is a no-no in Stevens' offense.

I get that he would be a good buy-low opportunity, but I would much rather go after a guy like Dieng or even Biyombo (that is if Danny can't find a way to aquire Cousins or Noel). I wouldn't rule out Monroe either, but he seems destined for NYK (just like DeAndre seems destined for Dal).

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I am interested. I think Hibbert is an excellent buy low trade opportunity.

Yep.  For the right price, I'm in.

Add Hibbert and then find a way to get that "Dynamic scorer" and the Celts could be in business.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yes I'd love hibbert.
Stevens would make him an 18 point, 8 rebound guy with top 5 rim protection.
Put four shooters around him. His rebounding becomes less important when he's surrounded by 3 point shooters because the rebounds go long, so our guards and wings are more responsible for 2nd chance looks. If he was next to Sully it would be a very solid defensive/rebounding tandem.

Hibbert is a perennial candidate for the best defensive big man in the NBA, and as an added bonus he's got a decent offensive game with some post moves and good footwork.
Imagine the easy looks he'd get around the rim with Stevens' offense.

We'd be an absolute defensive nightmare with Smart, Crowder, Bradley and then Hibbert, and he'd more than compensate for any weaknesses that Sully and/or Olynyk bring on the defensive end.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:00:48 AM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
These are some of the free agent centers coming up this year:
Marc Gasol
DeAndre Jordan
Brook Lopez (PO)
Greg Monroe
Al Jefferson
Roy Hibbert (PO)
Tyson Chandler
Enes Kanter (R)
Robin Lopez
Omer Asik

Of these I think the most attainable is Hibbert, but I personally would rather have Kanter, Jordan or Gasol as I think they would work better in CBS uptempo offense.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 03:05:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Kanter I'd pass on he isn't much better than Zeller. Kanter just got feed easy buckets by a super star. He is the Jazz version if he comes here.

But I agree with the Gasol and Jordan dream. They would be great.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 06:03:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I must say I am loving DeAndre Jordan after these playoffs.
He's an absolute monster and is throwing Dwight Howard around like a doll in most of these contested rebounds, he's such a great defender on the pick and roll and guarding on switches and hedges etc... just amazing agility for such a big guy. So powerful with his leaping and his length/extension on blocked shot is amazing.

I knew he was good but anyone else think both he and Blake have taken their games to the next level after San Antonio? I mean they and Paul were simply amazing. I think Blake Griffin is a bonafide franchise player.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they would work better in CBS uptempo offense.

I think CBS wants a shooter there at the five too.   I think of his Butler teams and the big guy Howard shot threes.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Hibbert is an interesting proposition for the Cs.

Positives,

- Changes defensive image of team, with Smart and AB on perimeter and a legit rim protector
- should be attainable at a reasonable price
- brings playoff experience
- still relatively young at 28
- on offense is solid passer, good FT shooter, and excellent screen setter

Negatives

- limit range will effect spacing
- plateaued at age 25
- mobility
- is in the last year of his contract and will be tough to resign if he performs well

The last negative is the one that im hung up on, even if over payed on the present salarty cap but under contract for 2-3 more years I would give his acquisition a yes. My fear is that he plays well for the Cs next season and DA is stuck in a bidding war to retain his services. His other negatives I am fine with. I think this system can handle one big in the rotation with limited range and that a change in scenery may actually revive his career.

Over all while I think he would really help next season I would have to say NO to trading for Hibbert. Giving up assets for what would possibly be a one season fix is not the answer for this team. Now if he turns down his player option and signs for 3-4 years for anything less then 15mill per im 100% on board. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet