Author Topic: The next big 3  (Read 4279 times)

Re: The next big 3
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:23 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
How about Smart, Stanley Johnson, and DMC? Nice core IMO and DMC is the only part that's a reach. Realistically, I'm just hoping we trade up and get Johnson.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
STanley johnson would be an excellent player to trade up for. But how do we then get Simmons?  I dont  think we are tanking next year.  Stanley johnson is too good and we are already too good of a team for that.

I dont mind passing on free agents this year in hopes of going bigger the next year, but I tend to think Ainge would find someone even in that instance and we wouldn't be tanking.

I'd take Stanley johnson though.  I prefer him over some of the big guys this draft. 

There are a lot of good big men this offseason. It would be nice to get one of the good ones.

It could be a case where we trade up then deal a guy like Stanley johnson who knows.
Well if you let guys walk and say the trade is AB like above then the roster is
Smart/IT, Turner/Young, Wallace/SJ, Sully/KO, Zeller /28th pick.

That team will miss AB, Crowder and Bass which will impact more than SJ adding. If team can also move Turner and Sully (soon to be RFA and UFA) for a 15-22 range 2015 1st and 2017 2nd then it's
Smart/IT, Young/pick 20*, Wallace/SJ, KO/pick 33, Zeller/pick 28.
They are likely a 25 win team. Hope Brooklyn is in 9
-12 range lotto odds pick and maybe have a 30-35% shot at winning top pick.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:07 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think we are going to strike out this summer as far as big names go as I'm trying to be realistic.  However looking forward to the next 1 to 3 years when our assets might look more appealing (hopefully more growth with our young players combined with hopeful lottery picks in our future (maybe Nets and Mavs picks next year) I'm hoping we can land Cousins when he is within 2 years of his contract ending, Paul George (working the phones with Larry), and either Love or Aldridge.  Something like that would be very nice.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
just to EXPOUND on this.  I would offer Love and Kawhi max contracts.  Show interest in cousins, danny green, millsap, Deandre, Monroe, etc probably in that order.  jimmy butler is out there.  Kawhi not sure why the spurs would let him go.  But we can dream.  The draft has some  very good big men and wing players.  Kaminsky, Turner, Stein etc all have parts of their game that interest me quite a bit.

Kawhi Leonard is the second-best player in the NBA under the age of 25 (behind Anthony Davis).  Dreaming that the Spurs will just let him go is silly.  You have a better chance of your dream coming true if you dream that Fab Melo is walking through that door and returning to Boston as a competent starting NBA center.

Kawhi Leonard is the second best player under 25???

Sorry dude, but if you think Leonard is better then Demarcus Cousins, John Wall and Kyrie Irving...I'd love to have some of whatever you've been smoking.

If you're including people who have just recently turned 25 then you can include Paul George and Klay Thompson on to that list as well.

Leonard is a nice player, but hasn't even made an All-Star game.  In fact he barely scraped in to the top 10 for all star voting at his position.  John Wall has made an All-Star team (and averated 18/10/5 for the season), DMC has made an all-Star team (and averaged 24/13/3.5) and Irving has already won an All-Star MVP (and averaged 22/5/3 as a second option for Cleveland).

Leonard is a nice young player with a lot of upside, but he's not even close to those guys right now.
I prefer Leonard to Irving but I think cousins, wall, Davis are better. I also prefer Leonard to klay and George factoring in that the injury slows his rise.

He's a top 5 guy under 25 in this league .

Point remains the same Spurs will never let him go

Also nba finals mvp>>>>>>all star game mvp

And don't forget he's the reigning DPOY

Leonard isn't just a "nice player"

He's an elite defensive player, a good rebounder (for his position) and a slightly above average scorer.  He's Iggy 2.0 pretty much. 

Iggy in his third season averaged 18 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals, was an athletic freak, and already being recognised and one of the NBA's elite defensive players.  I could see Leonard taking a similar career path. 

There's nothing at all wrong with that, but Iggy never took that next step from "excellent starter" to "Perennial All-Star" and it's entirely possible that Leonard may also never take that step. 

I'd still love to have a young Iggy (or any Iggy, really) on my team, but you get my meaning.

By comparison the other guys on that list (Cousins, George, Irving, Wall, etc) have already cemented their reputation as max contract All-Stars. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:04:11 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 01:03:14 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Smaht

KD

Cousins
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 01:28:21 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
STanley johnson would be an excellent player to trade up for. But how do we then get Simmons?  I dont  think we are tanking next year.  Stanley johnson is too good and we are already too good of a team for that.

I dont mind passing on free agents this year in hopes of going bigger the next year, but I tend to think Ainge would find someone even in that instance and we wouldn't be tanking.

I'd take Stanley johnson though.  I prefer him over some of the big guys this draft. 

There are a lot of good big men this offseason. It would be nice to get one of the good ones.

It could be a case where we trade up then deal a guy like Stanley johnson who knows.
Well if you let guys walk and say the trade is AB like above then the roster is
Smart/IT, Turner/Young, Wallace/SJ, Sully/KO, Zeller /28th pick.

That team will miss AB, Crowder and Bass which will impact more than SJ adding. If team can also move Turner and Sully (soon to be RFA and UFA) for a 15-22 range 2015 1st and 2017 2nd then it's
Smart/IT, Young/pick 20*, Wallace/SJ, KO/pick 33, Zeller/pick 28.
They are likely a 25 win team. Hope Brooklyn is in 9
-12 range lotto odds pick and maybe have a 30-35% shot at winning top pick.

We aren't tanking next year man.  I like stanley johnson but the point of getting him would be to make him a young player to bring along or trade him for something better.  I also think the draft is somewhat overvalued.  We should bu ild that way but trying to get into position to get a guy like that is not that cut and dry itself.

I like Evan Turner but you probably overvalue him more than me.  Because having turner with thomas and smart and removing bradley who is our only shooter there i dont know.  I would prefer Bradley.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:36:43 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 01:52:35 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
One problem with postulating the 'next big 3' is that we don't have a piece (ie Paul Pierce like) here already. I think IT was acquired as a start but that kinda makes it a big 2 and a 1/2.

I don't think we can find 3 players who really fit the status of being a 'big 3' player this offseason. I think we could come up with two if everything goes really well. Maybe 2 in FA and some luck in the draft.

If DA can't get the players he wants he will still be able to hold onto assets and add later. I will be happy for the roster to improve so we can attract more later have a more competitive season. Putting together the 'big 3' with the calibre of player you want might take another year.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 02:14:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I understand no one wants to tank. I wish the NBA was different but it requires high picks to build the foundation of championship teams. Could Smart be one maybe but C's still have to try for the draft again because Middleton, Harris, Kawhi, Gasol, LA and Butler aren't walking through that door. That means C's are not landing tier 1 or 2 FAs. We have seen how far C level talent players get you(sweep in the first round). We need a star player or two. Almost every championship team has drafted at least one core star player for it's run. It took Pierce drafted and Ray, aquired via high draft pick to land KG acquired through young guys + picks for C's to get their last championship big 3 stars. Better to continue building via draft. This year wasn't as big a deal not to tank because the draft is deep and kind of equal in potential. Next year however Lab and Simmons look like the real deal. Its Parker 1a Wiggins 1b/KD 1a, Oden 1b star draft. It's a draft to tank for and if C's miss out than pull an 07 with all the cap and a top 5 pick they would still be able to make a trade and then sign guys. It's a win win situation imo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:34:04 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 02:26:17 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
^Well we have multiplle picks in 2015. Ours, Nj and dallas i think.  We aren't going to tank next year thoguh.  I also wouldnt be surprised if we deal some picks this offseason but that is what the protection is for.

I dont think we need high picks.   We can maneuver.  I think as far as the celtics are concerned we just play basketball.  There is no reason to tank.  Thats why we have multiple picks. WE have so many.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 02:42:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
^Well we have multiplle picks in 2015. Ours, Nj and dallas i think.  We aren't going to tank next year thoguh.  I also wouldnt be surprised if we deal some picks this offseason but that is what the protection is for.

I dont think we need high picks.   We can maneuver.  I think as far as the celtics are concerned we just play basketball.  There is no reason to tank.  Thats why we have multiple picks. WE have so many.
That just isn't how a championship team is built. Just look at the championship teams' players the last 15 years. You have to draft high. No one flips late picks for a top 5 pick. Only way is tanking. At least in my version its not like Philly bad. I want to have young guys still developing maybe even faster since they get PT. Not faking injuries and sitting people ... OK maybe IT for 20 games. Still as fans we can still cheer and get excited about young guys playing hard just see less wins. Very much like the Big AL Jefferson lead C's.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 03:26:44 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The team is too good to tank.  There are a lot of good players on it.  Marcus is going to be very good next year.

Nj has no interest in winning anything the next few years.  Dallas should be good but dirk isnt getting younger either.  I think it's Dallas's pick we have.  Could be Memphis but we should have 3 picks next year.

The celtics should improve.  We could regress i guess but it doesn't seem likely.  Especially with Coach Brad and whatever additions we make. This team is going to win this year.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:32:24 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:58 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I would trade some of those picks to unload salary and to try to make trades.  Target players we want.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 03:40:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
The team is too good to tank.  There are a lot of good players on it.  Marcus is going to be very good next year.

Nj has no interest in winning anything the next few years.  Dallas should be good but dirk isnt getting younger either.  I think it's Dallas's pick we have.  Could be Memphis but we should have 3 picks next year.

The celtics should improve.  We could regress i guess but it doesn't seem likely.  Especially with Coach Brad and whatever additions we make. This team is going to win this year.
I agree right now if they keep guys they are going to be .500 but as I said if they decide to go the other direction letting their FAs walk and moving AB, Turner + Sully and commit to the young guys in the rotation you know they only win 25 games.

Here is a question, if you don't land any big FAs  do you keep trying for playoffs knowing there is a 80% chance to get swept again?

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 03:43:10 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I dont think we will be swept if we make some good moves this offseason. I think we add talent.

I don't think DA deliberately tries to screw up the roster so we can lose.  Even if we get up in the draft and land Stanley johnson we are better. 

ISiah will be here a full year.  Marcus will be better.  Sully maybe.  Bradley should continue to improve.  He has been injured at times but he had a good year last year.  KO and Zeller should also improve.  I dont think any of them are maxed out as players.   Bass probably is.

We can just draft but I think DA will do something. He is going to be a player in free agency and trades.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:48:11 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 04:06:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I just don't see it. I really hope it's not 2014-2015 season all over again. You know when the pro draft build people called that making the playoffs would just equal a sweep. I really hoped the playoff hopefuls had woken up. Team needs to build through the draft. Smart was probably the most entertaining player to watch besides IT surely Smart has the most promise. C's got him by drafting high.