Author Topic: The next big 3  (Read 4280 times)

The next big 3
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm not sure if there will be one.  Right now we have Brad Stevens as our big 1 and a good team of players around him.  We are deep and have a lot of pieces I feel but seems to me like something should happen this offseason. Looking around the league this is a quick list of players that could have potential interest from us.  We also have 2 draft picks and a stock of upcoming ones.  We are in that range of Myles Turner and Frank Kaminsky and an assortment of wing players. We'd have to move up to get into some of the bigger names, but will be interesting what kind of  big man Ainge is looking for.  Do we want a rim protector shot blocker and a less efficient offensive player or something else? What kind of wing do we want? Do we want a scoring big or big wings?   We have Crowder who can provide something, plus james Young there who I feel like have potential. Sully and KO and Zeller has earned the right to be a backup. 

Embiid
kevin Love
Danny Green
Tristan Thompson
khris middleton
henson
hibbert
george hill
Monroe
Millsap
Demarre Carroll
Horford
Al jefferson
Kidd Gilchrist
jimmy butler
joakim noah
Rajon Rondo
Tyson Chandler
Draymond Green
Corey Brewer
Terrence jones
David West
Deandre Jordan
Wes Matthews
Marc Gasol
HAssan Whiteside
Demarcus Cousins
Tobias Harris
Aldridge
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Kawhi Leonard
Robin Lopez
Hayward
Ty Lawson
Alex Len
Kawii Leonard

Obviously a lot of these guys are going to be far more far fetched, but at the top of my list would be Kevin Love. I don't think the Celtics are blowing much smoke there. They have Thompson and Love may not stay as well.  The issue is we have KO and Sully and the Celtics may opt to build another way.  Marc Gasol has got to be up there. Getting him to leave Memphis is up in the air.  Maybe if we sign  Draymond Green and get Kevin Love, Gasol would want to be  a part of that.  Cousins.  These are the big names. Tobias Harris is a nice consolation. Monroe.   We do have the draft though and other ways to get players.   I don't see a lot of players on that list moving at all but seems like something should happen here. Kevin Love would top my list even with Sully and KO here.  Or the Celtics can make something else  happen and go to the draft.

I'd keep Marcus, Thomas and Bradley around personally.  Crowder, Young and Zeller.  That seems to make the most sense to me right now. Sully and KO I'd like to be a part of that.   I'm somewhat stuck on we need a big man and wing because at first look that's what it looks like but some things are not that cut and dry.  Draymond, Love and Gasol would be nice though. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:25:34 PM by walker834 »

Re: The next big 3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
just to EXPOUND on this.  I would offer Love and Kawhi max contracts.  Show interest in cousins, danny green, millsap, Deandre, Monroe, etc probably in that order.  jimmy butler is out there.  Kawhi not sure why the spurs would let him go.  But we can dream.  The draft has some  very good big men and wing players.  Kaminsky, Turner, Stein etc all have parts of their game that interest me quite a bit.

The c's can go out there targeting a lot of differnet players.  I feel like we have to come away with something big here.  Tempting Love or Kawhi away from their respective teams would be paramount.  Cousins has to fit into that too.

There are quite a few players out there I feel fit what we want.  We don't want to end up second fiddle but players like draymond. DAnny Green and Tobias Harris while they might not top my list or overpay for them they have some things I like quite a bit. There are a lot of options out there.  Ainge has a way of finding the right players and doing something completely else but I feel like Love has to be up there.  I don't think that is going away until the offseason says otherwise.

The reason I like Kevin Love is we need big men who are going to be active and can score and create.  Millsap. Sully I haven't given up on though.   It's a tough call for that reason. Sully I still have very high hopes for.  I still see him as our David Ortiz in ways. KO is a really fine young player as well.   They compliment each other well.  It doesn't surprise me that Ainge is building witht hat in mind and drafted these guys to compliment each other. There was a month before Sully got hut last season where he was playing like a top 10 player. Then he got hurt.

Kaminsky is active and smart.  Turner is more of a jumping bean.       john Henson is out there.  Some of these guys might take time to develop.  Might not.   It still comes down to center and SF imo.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:40:09 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would offer Love and Kawhi max contracts.
  I would rather have Jordan and Leonard.   Love can't play D.  My two can and Jordan does not need the ball that much on offense save on an opp here and there.

The reason I like Kevin Love is we need big men who are going to be active and can score and create.
  Really I do not recall him being that active in the games versus us in the playoffs or in general.   He rebounds well, but hangs at the three point line and shot threes that killed us the one game.   I don't think of him as creative one on one scorer.  Do you think he is that way?

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:22:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think Love is active just how he positions himself.  He's one of the more active pf's around. The issue is he is basically what we would hope Sully would be although Sullinger ahs the ability to be more physical imo.  Maybe not move around as much or get up and down the court.  If Sullinger gets himself in shape and turns that corner.  That's the question though.

Kevin Love is still young as well.  I think if we can get a sure thing vs waiting on sullinger it's still out there.

Also think Klove is a smart player.  I think he would fit well witht he Celtics.  He isn't the most physical defender out there but he can be a physical player.  But he does create just with his basketball iq.  Moreso than sully does right now even though Sully has a high iq as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:53:47 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Every place I look regarding trades and deals to be made is showing trader Dan is gunning for Cousins. You have to hand it to Danny he's tenacious.

For it to happen, Cousins will have to really want it, because the Kings don't.

So if any of you have the big guy's ear... 

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Cousins makes a lot of sense if we have KO and Sully here but I don't even know if we can get a center of that echelon. Maybe trade up in the draft.  For Marc Gasol to come here there would have to be other pieces but maybe not.   Cousins has to be right there.  Cousins and Sully and KO would be ridiculous.

With Coach Brad here and DA it's hard to tell.  There may be more under the radar ways but it's pretty much players in the league, the draft and whatever else DA has scouted including our own team.

The consensus seems to be that we would keep guys like Marcus, Thomas and Bradley and build with our bigs.  Hence the big 3 analogy.  We could  build with Sully, KO and Zeller and improve our guards but for some reason i think MArcus and Thomas are our Dj and Tiny.  And Bradley is sam jones  someday if he can create more.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:32:02 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Keep Marcus Smart.  Thomas too and Bradley.  Marcus is my favorite player on the team already and I would not trade him.

Do not trade him.  Do not pull a tony Allen.  We have that back.  Bring him along slowly but sign him quick to an extension when he does.

Once Marcus becomes more of a pg which he will Turner will be expendable. It's why Turner was signed to 2 years in case which if that's the case Turner might be expendable this offseason.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:42:27 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
 I'd want my team to look like this

PG-Smart, Thomas
SG-Bradley, Young, Trade or free agent
SF-Draft, Trade, FA Agent, Crowder, Gigi
PF-????????, jerebko
C-Draft trade, fa agent, Zeller

Our guards are pretty much set in my book unless we deal bradley or Thomas, but i wouldnt rush to do that. That leaves SF, PF, and Center to potentially upgrade.

Turner and Bass are expendable. .   They are insurance and we could always bring Rondo back but i dont see them as having much value to us unless we keep bass for insurance with Sully and KO.  I think we definately need to add a legit big man though and Bass's value drops a lot.

Even Gigi and jeerebko are fence players but we should at least keep one of those guys.

Trying to rid ourselves of gerald wallace but easier said than done.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:00:52 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well Id hope AB / Sully, Dallas 1st, Brooklyn 2018, and 16th this year gets team Stanley Jonhson. The team skips this years FAs dont sign anyone. Team then tanks for Lab or Simmons.

Smart, Stanley Johnson, Ben Simmons.

Oh and 50million in cap space in 2016 to target KD, Davis?, Drummond and others.

Spend to all the cap then.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:41:47 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
STanley johnson would be an excellent player to trade up for. But how do we then get Simmons?  I dont  think we are tanking next year.  Stanley johnson is too good and we are already too good of a team for that.

I dont mind passing on free agents this year in hopes of going bigger the next year, but I tend to think Ainge would find someone even in that instance and we wouldn't be tanking.

I'd take Stanley johnson though.  I prefer him over some of the big guys this draft. 

There are a lot of good big men this offseason. It would be nice to get one of the good ones.

It could be a case where we trade up then deal a guy like Stanley johnson who knows.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:49:37 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 10:59:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
just to EXPOUND on this.  I would offer Love and Kawhi max contracts.  Show interest in cousins, danny green, millsap, Deandre, Monroe, etc probably in that order.  jimmy butler is out there.  Kawhi not sure why the spurs would let him go.  But we can dream.  The draft has some  very good big men and wing players.  Kaminsky, Turner, Stein etc all have parts of their game that interest me quite a bit.

Kawhi Leonard is the second-best player in the NBA under the age of 25 (behind Anthony Davis).  Dreaming that the Spurs will just let him go is silly.  You have a better chance of your dream coming true if you dream that Fab Melo is walking through that door and returning to Boston as a competent starting NBA center.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 11:23:50 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Do you have any better ideas because that's the starting point. Otherwise we are just drafting and doing what we need to do to build then putting pieces around.  That's fine for the most part, but that should be the guage of what we are targeting because those are the best players in the league and the guys we have to beat.

We were a fringe playoff team this past year that played better than that the second half.  We are trying to beat the top teams.  I don't think you waffle with that too much.  We can be patient for sure but we want to make moves ultimately and soon to get over the top.

Always felt like this would be a 2 or 3 year thing.  We had a down year last year then moving up this year.  I dont see this go ing 5 years.  We are going to be right there next season.  Might be another year but this team is going to have top players whether we trade for them or they are own own homegrown players.  We already do have a lot of good players.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:35:27 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 11:38:14 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Kawhi Leonard is the second-best player in the NBA under the age of 25 (behind Anthony Davis).  Dreaming that the Spurs will just let him go is silly.  You have a better chance of your dream coming true if you dream that Fab Melo is walking through that door and returning to Boston as a competent starting NBA center.

Kawhi Leonard is the second best player under 25???

Sorry dude, but if you think Leonard is better then Demarcus Cousins, John Wall and Kyrie Irving...I'd love to have some of whatever you've been smoking.

If you're including people who have just recently turned 25 then you can include Paul George and Klay Thompson on to that list as well.

Leonard is a nice player, but hasn't even made an All-Star game.  In fact he barely scraped in to the top 10 for all star voting at his position.  John Wall has made an All-Star team (and averated 18/10/5 for the season), DMC has made an all-Star team (and averaged 24/13/3.5) and Irving has already won an All-Star MVP (and averaged 22/5/3 as a second option for Cleveland).

Leonard is a nice young player with a lot of upside, but he's not even close to those guys right now.   

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 11:56:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Kawhi Leonard is the second best player under 25???

Sorry dude, but if you think Leonard is better then Demarcus Cousins, John Wall and Kyrie Irving...I'd love to have some of whatever you've been smoking.

If you're including people who have just recently turned 25 then you can include Paul George and Klay Thompson on to that list as well.

Leonard is a nice player, but hasn't even made an All-Star game.  In fact he barely scraped in to the top 10 for all star voting at his position.  John Wall has made an All-Star team (and averated 18/10/5 for the season), DMC has made an all-Star team (and averaged 24/13/3.5) and Irving has already won an All-Star MVP (and averaged 22/5/3 as a second option for Cleveland).

Leonard is a nice young player with a lot of upside, but he's not even close to those guys right now.
I prefer Leonard to Irving but I think cousins, wall, Davis are better. I also prefer Leonard to klay and George factoring in that the injury slows his rise.

He's a top 5 guy under 25 in this league .

Point remains the same Spurs will never let him go

Also nba finals mvp>>>>>>all star game mvp

And don't forget he's the reigning DPOY

Leonard isn't just a "nice player"
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Here ya go

BOS trades #16, #33, James Young, Kelly Olynyk, Gerald Wallace, 2016 Brooklyn 1st, 2016 Boston 1st, 2016 Minnesota 1st, 2016 PHI 2nd
BOS receives: DeMarcus Cousins, Jason Thompson

SAC trades: #6, DeMarcus Cousins, Jason Thompson, Nik Stauskus
SAC receives: Ty Lawson, Kenneth Faried, Kelly Olynyk, 2016 Brooklyn 1st, #7, #16

DEN trades: #7, Ty Lawson, Kenneth Faried
DEN receives: #6, #33, James Young, Nik Stauskus, Gerald Wallace, 2016 Boston 1st, 2016 Minnesota 1st, 2016 PHI 2nd

In a seperate trade, C's trade Bradley and 2016 MIA 2nd to Charlotte for Lance Stephenson and #9. Select Stanley Johnson.

Smart/Thomas
Turner/Stephenson/#28
Johnson/Crowder/Turner
Sullinger/Jerebko
Cousins/ Zeller

Now that team would be sweet. With CBS behind them, they could make noise, with room to grow.