Author Topic: 2015 Draft Prospect work outs  (Read 23146 times)

2015 Draft Prospect work outs
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The last couple of years I have kept a running tab on players the Cs have worked out. I plan to do the same this year.

5/20/15
 Aaron Thomas SG Florida st   
             http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/Aaron-Thomas-to-work-out-for-Boston-Celtics-37041785

Anthony Brown     SF Stanford
Dez Wells              SG Maryland
Malcolm Miller        SF Holy Cross
Julian Washburn    SF UTEP
Sir Dominic Pointer SG  St Johns

Out of this 5/20 group I like Brown and Wells. Both are options in the mid 2nd. Brown has solid size and skill set to make the league as a bench 3/2. Wells  is a powerfully built athletic combo guard. 

5/2715

Jordan Mickey PF LSU
Bobby Portis   PF Alabama
Marcus Thorton PG Williams & Mary
Rakeem Christmas F/C Syracuse
Shannon Scott PG Ohio St
David Kravish PF Cal

It was reported that this group played alot of 3 v 3 to really focus on the P&R. Austin Ainge was quoted that the team views Portis as big enough to play the 4 and the 5. Having never seen him actually play Thorton is an interesting prospect, especially his mix of athleticism and 3pt shooting. 

5/28/15

Cliff Alexander PF Kansas
Maxie Esho  PF Umass
Satnam Singh C India
David Kravish PF Cal x2
George de Paula Lucas PG Brazil
Chasson Randle PG Stanford

Some intrigue with the mystery man Singh but this workouts real focus was likely Alexander and Lucas both are high ceiling players who could be option at #28 or #33.

5/29/15

Travis Trice PG Migh ST
Scott Eatherton PF Northerstern
Keifer Sykes PG Green Bay
Corey Walden PG Eastern Kentucky
Gerard Coleman SG Georgetown College
Yanick Moreira C SMU

This is a bit of an obscure group. Sykes is the most likely to get drafted in the 2nd round as he was the only to attend the combine. Trice has the potential to be picked up late in the 2nd as a potential backup PG and Moreira has the physical profile to sneek into the bottom of a teams bench. The rest of the group will likely peak as D-league players. 

6/1/15

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson SF Arizona
Justin Anderson             SF Virginia
Branden Dawson           SF Mich St
LeBryan Nash                SF Oklahoma St
Jonathan Holmes           SF/PF Texas
Levi Randolph                SF/SG Alabama

This is a group with alot of physical and defensive potential. RHJ, Anderson and Dawson all seem like guy who will be above average NBA defenders. Holmes and Nash are both college seniors with NBA bodies who never really seemed to reach their potential in college. Nash may have been thrown off my his need/desire to play the perimeter and Holmes could be a victum of Texa's system. Both may better pros then their draft position indicates. I could see RHJ and Anderson as legit first round options and Dawson, Nash and Holmes as nice later 2nd round prospects will be more NBA ready then many 1st round picks.

6/2/15

Andrew Harrison PG Kentucky
Olivier Hanlan     PG BC
Terry Rozier        PG Louisville
Josh Richardson  SG/PG  Tenn
Corey Walden    PG Eastern Kentucky x2

This is a nice group of 2nd round guards who could stick in the NBA as backups. Harrison is the most intriguing in the grouping he came into college looking like a sure thing lottery pick and still has alot of intriguing skills that may get him drafted in the late first. His size and ability to get into the paint at PG could actually make him a better pro then college player. Hanlan and Rozier both seems to project in the role of bench scoring lead guards who could thrive on the right team. Walden is brought back for a second workout, his college stats are interesting in that he was a good shooter and also racked up alot of steals a stat that can sometimes indicate activity level on D. Richardson is also interesting he was not invited to the combine and skipped pourtsmith but is reported to be 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. These are great measurements for a 2/1. He is also a good athlete who put up nice numbers at Tenn.

6/3/15

Cady Lalane   C  Umass
Kevin Capers  SG Florida-South
Alpha Kaba     PF France
Larry Nance Jr PF Wyoming
T.J Price           SG Western Kentucky
Maxie Esho      PF Umass x2

Nice group of higher upside 2nd round guys. Lalane had a nice career at Umass but really stood out at Portsmouth has the length to protect the rim and is an above average rebounder. Kaba seems like a hot name for a draft and stash prospect. Nance Jr is an athletic well rounded combo forward who may be able to stick on a team as a utility 4/3. 

6/8/15

Javier Duren G Yale

The rest of this workout is a mystery. Below is a photo taken off of twitter my guess is one of the guys is Italian SF Simone Fontecchio who Jay King reported would working out on the 8th.

https://twitter.com/CoachTraxhoops/status/608012822279122944/photo/1

6/10/15

Dakari Johnson       C Kentucky
Pat Connaughton   SG ND
Darrun Hillard         SF Villinova
Matt Stainbrook       C xavier
Royce O'Neale        SF Baylor
Simone Fontecchio SF Italy

I like that the Cs are bringing Johnson in I think he has a chance at being a late round steal. He may not have the athleticism and mobility to thrive as a starting center but he is young, huge, and has a nice post game. All things I would love to see the Cs add to their roster. Fontecchio is rumored to have flown in on the 8th and is heading back to Italy on the 11th my guess is DA is taking a look at the 19 year old as a late round draft and stash guy. While his Italian league stats will not blow you away he has been very effective in the FIBA U20 and U18 tourneys. In the 2013 U18 he was Italy leading scorer at just under 16pts per game.

write up on Fontecchio
http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.playerID_92661.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2013.roundID_9420.teamID_307.coid_n,FsKn63HUgmhq6UQoXSi3.articleMode_on.html

6/11/14

Montrezl Harrell   PF Lousiville
Chris Walker        PF Florida
Duje Dukan          F Wisconsin
Kameron Woods  F Butler
Jamal Jones         SF D-League
Greg Whittington SF Georgetown

I have been a big Harrell fan for two years and really like him as a bench big in the pros would love to see the Cs land him at #28 or even trade up a few spots to land him. I like the fact that he is working out with highly mobile perimeter PFs and taller SFs, I think his ability to defend the perimeter will really help him in the NBA. Walker is a high potential player who so fare is a bust but well worth a 2nd round gamble. Jones is interesting he played in the D-League last year and has a great physical profile as a 3-D SF might be worth drafting in the late 2nd as a D-League draft and stash much like the Knicks did last season with Giannis' older brother.

6/17/15

Kevon Looney          PF UCLA
Brandon Ashley        PF Arizona
JayVaughn Pinkston PF Villanova
Maurice Ndour          PF Ohio

By now everyone knows Looney as he has been a polarizing prospect for a while. He has some real intrigue as a do everything PF who can shoot, rebound and handle the ball. His ability to finish and his conditioning/asthma have raised some questions. He would definitely be a player who fits well with BS style and has a ton of long term potential. Ashely is a well rounded PF who will likely go in the late 2nd. Ndour is a new name for me and after a quick look on draft express im intrigued. He has great measurements at 6'8 without shoes and a 7'4 wingspan. However he is only 200lbs and already 22. His stats are equally impressive 16pts 8rb 2.3blk 1.1 stl while shooting .43% from 3 on two attempts per game. also a 78% FT shooter. Surprised he hasn't come up any where else. He also played for Senegal in the 2014 FIBA world cup where he averaged 6pt 2.5rb in 21mpg. He really looks to me like a great draft and stash option.

6/20/15 RUMORED

Christian Wood       PF  UNLV
Rashad Vaughn       SG UNLV
Bobby Ray Parks Jr. SG Phillipnes

Nothing really official but reports are the Rashad Vaughn SG from UNLV will be in town this week (june 15-19th) for a workout as will 22 yr old Philippine mystery SG Bobby Ray Parks JR. Parks is the sons of an ex NBA player who was committed to Georgia but never went to school to be with his sick father in the Philippines.

Also saw a report from bball insiders that Slovenian big man  Ziga Dimec will be in boston the 16th for workout. His stats are not impressive but he was Slovenian's leading scorer at 15ppg at the U20 in 2013.

Found a report that Latvian SF Janis Berzins is suppose to be working out for the Cs on the 23rd.

It has been reported that DA plans to bring in 40 - 60 prospects.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:43:51 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2015 Draft Prospect work outs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for starting this up again this year.  always a worthwhile read CF

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
5/20 update
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
5/21

Added RHJ and Anderson for their june 1st workout. I'm sure other wings will join them if not it will be a brutal 1v1 with very little offense.

I also added a workout with out a date yet featuring Mickey and Portis. This should be an interesting one as Mickey seems to have made some fans at the combine with his measurements and good showing in the 5 on 5. He is a PF in the Faried/Thompson mold who could carve out a career with his defense and rebounding. Portis has been projected by many "experts" as an option for the Cs at #16. He is a well rounded big who despite his young age is viewed as a lower ceiling prospect due to his average athleticism.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
TP. Very useful.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Didn't want to start a new post for this but DA is at the BDA pro day UCSB

their is a mix of vets trying to get back in the league and draft prospects their.

Draft Prospects working out (potential 1st rounders in bold)

Group 1
Andrew Harrison
Chasson Randle
Derrick Marks
Tyler Hawes
Marko Mladjan
David Kravish

Group 2
Joseph Young
Desi Washington
Aaron Harrison
Josh Richardson
Brandon Ashley
Vincent Hunter

Group 3
Nnanna Egwu
Robert Upshaw
Kelly Oubre

Group 4
Alex Zhigulin

Group 5
Stanley Johnson
Frank Kaminsky

Alot of talent on display and DA took his time to make the trip out. Should be interesting to see who in this group get invited to Boston.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Who's working out this week? Any update?

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Didn't want to start a new post for this but DA is at the BDA pro day UCSB

their is a mix of vets trying to get back in the league and draft prospects their.

Draft Prospects working out (potential 1st rounders in bold)

Group 1
Andrew Harrison*
Chasson Randle
Derrick Marks*
Tyler Hawes*
Marko Mladjan
David Kravish

Group 2
Joseph Young*
Desi Washington
Aaron Harrison*
Josh Richardson
Brandon Ashley
Vincent Hunter*

Group 3
Nnanna Egwu
Robert Upshaw*
Kelly Oubre

Group 4
Alex Zhigulin

Group 5
Stanley Johnson*
Frank Kaminsky

Alot of talent on display and DA took his time to make the trip out. Should be interesting to see who in this group get invited to Boston.
I put "*" next to the guys I hope they work out and interview.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Who's working out this week? Any update?

Christmas and Mickey will be working out for the Celts. Not sure if its individual or they are brought in as a group

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
5/27 update
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The Thornton kid has a 43 inch vertical and shot 40+ percent the last 3 years in college. Seems like a really legit scorer and a great athlete with 5% body fat.

A bit small for the 2 at 6'3" but that athleticism mixed with that stroke is a pretty rare combo.

William and Mary play some bad teams but going through his game log he put up some huge scores.

Perhaps a guy to look into in the second round.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
No RJ Hunter? I thought this guy fit perfectly the type of SF that Brad is looking for.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
No RJ Hunter? I thought this guy fit perfectly the type of SF that Brad is looking for.

He's a SG not a SF and they haven't announced all the workouts yet. But Celtics.com did a draft profile on him so I'm going to assume he will be here for one at some point.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/draft/profile-rj-hunter

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:35:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The last couple of years I have kept a running tab on players the Cs have worked out. I plan to do the same this year.

May 20th
 Aaron Thomas SG Florida st   
             http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/Aaron-Thomas-to-work-out-for-Boston-Celtics-37041785

Anthony Brown     SF Stanford
Dez Wells              SG Maryland
Malcolm Miller        SF Holy Cross
Julian Washburn    SF UTEP
Sir Dominic Pointer SG  St Johns

Out of this 5/20 group I like Brown and Wells. Both are options in the mid 2nd. Brown has solid size and skill set to make the league as a bench 3/2. Wells  is a powerfully built athletic combo guard. 

5/2715

Jordan Mickey PF LSU
Bobby Portis   PF Alabama
Marcus Thorton PG Williams & Mary
Rakeem Christmas F/C Syracuse
Shannon Scott PG Ohio St
David Kravish PF Cal

It was reported that this group played alot of 3 v 3 to really focus on the P&R. Austin Ainge was quoted that the team views Portis as big enough to play the 4 and the 5. Having never seen him actually play Thorton is an interesting prospect, especially his mix of athleticism and 3pt shooting. 

June 1
per numerous twiiter sources

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson SF Arizona
Justin Anderson             SF Virginia

It has been reported that DA plans to bring in 40 - 60 prospects.

Would like more info as to how today's group did.  Hopefully more details to come

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
update 5/28
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet