Author Topic: Idea: Get Joe Johnson  (Read 4269 times)

Re: Idea: Get Joe Johnson
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 05:39:55 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Sounds crazy to get him
Besides he would probably want to go to a team willing to pay him a lot
I don't think ainge would overpay for him

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 07:30:29 PM »

Offline JCeltic777

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
If you want an upgrade on turner and want to make the nets worse, Sign Thaddeus young when and if he opts out this offseason. Same play style except 5x the defender.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Past his prime, no thanks!  What makes you think he would want to come back after the way we dealt him?

Well, that was the fault of previous management, so I don't think he'd hold that against Danny or the current ownership group.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Oh my ......no go Joe .....ugh .....old , slow , worn out , no emotion ...etc

Do you really hate the Celtics this much ???

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
Pretty much the exact opposite of the player and type of move The Celtics should make. A) His talents don't really match up with what this team is trying to do, and B) the age/contract situation (especially age) is what The Celtics will wisely try to avoid.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't think Billy King is allowed to talk to Ainge any more.

Sorry.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »

Offline JMRJAYDIGGLES

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think JJ would be the perfect compliment to a Marcus Smart because of his ability to do so many things including ball handling and shooting from the outside. Now, obviously JJ isn't a long term solution, but I think he would be a perfect stopgap to see what we have with Young. I also view trading for JJ as a good way to compress the roster while filling a position of need and maintaining future cap flexibility. What types of trade would get it done? Is anyone else thinking this?

No thank you..

I like Turner more than JJ...  JJ is on the down side and turner has better handles. 

Why would we ever want to help the Nets, when our picks depend on their future? Johnson is done. I'm sorry, the playoffs only served to prove how ISO Joe was and never been effective, and don't tell me its won them games, because regular season, and first round playoff exits aren't what I would want.

The only way I want JJ is if the Nets use the stretch provision on him and he's available for the minimum.

He makes an absolutely obscene amount of money the next two years.

He also has a tendency to still take shots as if he's a 20-25 ppg guy, when he's actually more of a 12-14 ppg guy.  Unlike Paul Pierce, he never learned to dial it down.  He also can't play the 4 in small ball lineups like Pierce.

He will be a very large expiring this upcoming season. He's not on the books for 2 more years, you might be thinking of D. Williams.

Ah ok, you are correct.

Well, there might be worse ways to make use of our cap space if we strike out on free agents.

I've always wanted to like Joe Johnson, but he's got too much Jamal Crawford in him and not enough Paul Pierce.  Still, he'd fill the Evan Turner role better than Evan Turner, that's for sure.

That's exactly what I'm thinking on 2 accounts:

1. JJ taking over that Turner role and doing it better.
2. This being more of a, "Well we struck out of free agency, why not?" type of move.

When you consider maybe only giving up Wallace and Turner plus their salaries, it's as if we are renting JJ for 1 year at $10 Million. To me there's a value there given what JJ can provide.

1. Disagree, Turner hasn't been extremely impressive statistically, but you can see infinitely how much better Turner has been this year.

2. Ummm... If we struck out, and Joe Johnson was our option, then I would shake my head. Nothing about Joe Johnson would reel in free agents, and the only way I can see him being brought in if we got Kevin Love or another Allstar, and we needed another go to scorer or shot creator.

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
What about Wallace and Turner for Joe Johnson?

The Nets get a poor man's JJ who is expiring, a $10 million dollar expiring and around $11 Million in instant savings.  With the Nets still deep into the luxery tax the savings here would be even more substantial, probably around the $15-$17 Million mark when it's all said and done.

I'd be up for this.

I think JJ could bring a lot more to this team than people think.

Offense and experience plus a very attractive expiring contract (a lot more than Wallace's.)

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It really wouldn't matter if he wanted to come here or not. As long as he didn't refuse to come here, but why would he? We traded him like a decade ago, and, get this, getting traded is part of the game. It was like 4 teams ago for JJ, I doubt he cares. He'd probably see it as a lateral move.

As for making a trade work, I think it is really hard. If JJ still has game next year, then why would NJ want to give him up when they don't have their own draft pick? If JJ is washed up then why would we want him? The only way it could work is if we can offer them savings and we have no better way to spend the money (and keep in mind, if Danny has money on the table to start the season he can be a lot more flexible in brokering deals.) Something like Wallace for JJ. They both would be expiring and the Nets save a lot of money.

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
What about Wallace and Turner for Joe Johnson?

The Nets get a poor man's JJ who is expiring, a $10 million dollar expiring and around $11 Million in instant savings.  With the Nets still deep into the luxery tax the savings here would be even more substantial, probably around the $15-$17 Million mark when it's all said and done.

I'd be up for this.

I think JJ could bring a lot more to this team than people think.

Offense and experience plus a very attractive expiring contract (a lot more than Wallace's.)

I'd hesitate throwing Turner into a deal like this. He's not my favorite player out there but he can do a lot of thing such as playing 3 positions and setting up the O. And he's cheap. I don't want to have to depend on him so much next year, but I still want him there in case other guys go down. Becasue of his small contract he could be great "filler" in a big trade.