Author Topic: Idea: Get Joe Johnson  (Read 4275 times)

Idea: Get Joe Johnson
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I think JJ would be the perfect compliment to a Marcus Smart because of his ability to do so many things including ball handling and shooting from the outside. Now, obviously JJ isn't a long term solution, but I think he would be a perfect stopgap to see what we have with Young. I also view trading for JJ as a good way to compress the roster while filling a position of need and maintaining future cap flexibility. What types of trade would get it done? Is anyone else thinking this?

Re: Idea: Get Joe Johnson
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The only way I want JJ is if the Nets use the stretch provision on him and he's available for the minimum.

He makes an absolutely obscene amount of money the next two years.

He also has a tendency to still take shots as if he's a 20-25 ppg guy, when he's actually more of a 12-14 ppg guy.  Unlike Paul Pierce, he never learned to dial it down.  He also can't play the 4 in small ball lineups like Pierce.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
What about Wallace and Turner for Joe Johnson?

The Nets get a poor man's JJ who is expiring, a $10 million dollar expiring and around $11 Million in instant savings.  With the Nets still deep into the luxery tax the savings here would be even more substantial, probably around the $15-$17 Million mark when it's all said and done.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:32:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The only way I want JJ is if the Nets use the stretch provision on him and he's available for the minimum.

He also has a tendency to still take shots as if he's a 20-25 ppg guy, when he's actually more of a 12-14 ppg guy.  Unlike Paul Pierce, he never learned to dial it down.  He also can't play the 4 in small ball lineups like Pierce.

He will be a very large expiring this upcoming season. He's not on the books for 2 more years, you might be thinking of D. Williams.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He will be a very large expiring this upcoming season. He's not on the books for 2 more years, you might be thinking of D. Williams.

Ah ok, you are correct.

Well, there might be worse ways to make use of our cap space if we strike out on free agents.

I've always wanted to like Joe Johnson, but he's got too much Jamal Crawford in him and not enough Paul Pierce.  Still, he'd fill the Evan Turner role better than Evan Turner, that's for sure.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:41:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Ah ok, you are correct.

Well, there might be worse ways to make use of our cap space if we strike out on free agents.

I've always wanted to like Joe Johnson, but he's got too much Jamal Crawford in him and not enough Paul Pierce.  Still, he'd fill the Evan Turner role better than Evan Turner, that's for sure.

That's exactly what I'm thinking on 2 accounts:

1. JJ taking over that Turner role and doing it better.
2. This being more of a, "Well we struck out of free agency, why not?" type of move.

When you consider maybe only giving up Wallace and Turner plus their salaries, it's as if we are renting JJ for 1 year at $10 Million. To me there's a value there given what JJ can provide.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think JJ would be the perfect compliment to a Marcus Smart because of his ability to do so many things including ball handling and shooting from the outside. Now, obviously JJ isn't a long term solution, but I think he would be a perfect stopgap to see what we have with Young. I also view trading for JJ as a good way to compress the roster while filling a position of need and maintaining future cap flexibility. What types of trade would get it done? Is anyone else thinking this?

No thank you..

Why would we ever want to help the Nets, when our picks depend on their future? Johnson is done. I'm sorry, the playoffs only served to prove how ISO Joe was and never been effective, and don't tell me its won them games, because regular season, and first round playoff exits aren't what I would want.

Ah ok, you are correct.

2. This being more of a, "Well we struck out of free agency, why not?" type of move.

When you consider maybe only giving up Wallace and Turner plus their salaries, it's as if we are renting JJ for 1 year at $10 Million. To me there's a value there given what JJ can provide.

1. Disagree, Turner hasn't been extremely impressive statistically, but you can see infinitely how much better Turner has been this year.

2. Ummm... If we struck out, and Joe Johnson was our option, then I would shake my head. Nothing about Joe Johnson would reel in free agents, and the only way I can see him being brought in if we got Kevin Love or another Allstar, and we needed another go to scorer or shot creator.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:59:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

No thank you..

Why would we ever want to help the Nets, when our picks depend on their future? Johnson is done. I'm sorry, the playoffs only served to prove how ISO Joe was and never been effective, and don't tell me its won them games, because regular season, and first round playoff exits aren't what I would want.
I like creative ideas and this is thinking outside the box for sure but I dont think it improves our team hardly at all. Its not like we have any pain in the ass contracts we could stick them with.

If we make a Nets move for me it would be Nets 2016 for every single desirable asset they have.
29, Plumlee, Bogdanovich, Brown, Thad Young. This would let them Tank hard and then have a ton of cap space and a top pick next year.

I think this could work. I think the Nets would become enamored with the idea of having their own pick back and they could reasonably go into 2016 offseason with a top 3 pick and 60mil in cap.

For us we get interesting assets in Bogdanovich and Plumlee, an upgrade at SF in Young and bit-part assets with Brown and 29. Loaded with 28,29,33 we could take some hail mary passes or move around a lot in the draft.

Just spitballing off the Nets idea, not sure if it makes sense for either squad but I think its an interesting idea.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 11:24:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think JJ is a guy who needs to play alongside another playmaker. He needs to be the secondary playmaker. Asking him to be the main creator (at this stage in his career) is a bad idea for ball movement. Too slow and mechanical in his attacks. Doesn't get to the middle of the paint often enough. Ball stays in front of the defense (comfortable for opposing teams). Leads to higher number of contested shots. The extra offensive responsibility forces JJ to increase his number of shot attempts which are mostly medium or worse quality shots.

It is not a good mix. Joe Johnson needs to find a new home where he can play off a PG who can be the main playmaker. That should be Deron Williams in Brooklyn but he has fallen off badly himself so that hasn't worked out.

Boston would be a bad place for JJ. Smart, Bradley and JJ would be bad for one another.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:41:36 PM by Who »

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Ah ok, you are correct.

Okay, it's not just you, but why does everyone seem to compare every player with one-on-one abilities to Jamaal Crawford?  Nick Young?  He's a taller Jamaal Crawford.  Marshon Brooks?  He's a Nick Young/Jamaal Crawford type.  Even Jordan Crawford, lol ;D, is apparently Jamaal Crawford.

Now, if what you're saying is that Johnson has great one-on-one skills but perhaps doesn't go to the hoop as often as he should, especially down the stretch like Pierce, I can kind of agree with that, but saying that Joe is only an isolation player really undervalues him, imo, because he can play 3 positions, and guard two of them, while Crawford can't guard a brick, lol ;D.  At least JJ would give us a go-to guy, though, not to mention a great clutch player.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think JJ is a guy who needs to play alongside another playmaker. He needs to be the secondary playmaker. Asking him to be the main creator is a bad idea for ball movement. Too slow and mechanical in his attacks. Doesn't get to the middle of the paint often enough. Ball stays in front of the defense (comfortable for opposing teams). Leads to higher number of contested shots. The extra offensive responsibility forces JJ to increase his number of shot attempts which are mostly medium or worse quality shots.

It is not a good mix. Joe Johnson needs to find a new home where he can play off a PG who can be the main playmaker. That should be Deron Williams in Brooklyn but he has fallen off badly himself so that hasn't worked out.

Boston would be a bad place for JJ. Smart, Bradley and JJ would be bad for one another.

You mean, like Rondo?  Ahaha ;D.  I think the future of much of that roster depends on whether or not Brook Lopez comes back, honestly.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Do they have any more picks to give?

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Past his prime, no thanks!  What makes you think he would want to come back after the way we dealt him?

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Past his prime, no thanks!  What makes you think he would want to come back after the way we dealt him?
Ya....

I can't believe how quickly we gave him up
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 02:44:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Ah ok, you are correct.

Except that renting Joe Johnson would mean taking up roughly half the cap space we have for next season, and also helps Brooklyn's financial situation (and rebuild situation) quite significantly which we (as division rivals) probably don't want to do.

Plus JJ is in a major decline, and all that cap space we have (even if it's not useful in the off-season) may come in handy later in the year if any teams choose to go into a full rebuild and dump their stars (e.g. Knicks with Carmelo, etc).  It's unlikely, but I'm not a huge fan of the concept of spending money/cap space just because you have it - you never know when you might find yourself wanting that cap space...and then it's not there.