Author Topic: Marc Spears reports Curry will be MVP  (Read 1353 times)

Marc Spears reports Curry will be MVP
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
@SpearsNBAYahoo: Warriors guard Stephen Curry will be named the NBA’s Most Valuable Player, a source told Yahoo. Story was first reported by @MontePooleCSN.

Re: Marc Spears reports Curry will be MVP
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well earned.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Congrats!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:19:59 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Not Lebron, 2 years in a row? So sad :P  ;D

Edit : My bad, he's trying to be nominee for 2015 award Shaqtin' a fool

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:22:27 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Should have been James Harden.

edit: but Curry was great this year.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Have always been a big fan.  I remember all the way back in December of 2011 when Curry was in the midst of an injury-plagued season averaging 14.7 points on bad ankles... I posted a thread here suggesting Rondo for Curry + Biedrins.    There was a time when Rondo for Curry seemed plausible.  There were rumors at one point that Ainge tried making that happen and Golden State turned us down.  Seems crazy now, but if you were to travel back in time to 2011, there weren't many Celtic fans who supported the idea.

It's fun going back and looking at those old threads.  Back in early 2012, I actually went to a Golden State forum and saw Warriors fans who were actually mad they didn't go through with the Rondo/Curry trade.

March 2012:
Quickly browsed a Warriors forum and was surprised to see a lot of their fans really liking the Curry/Rondo hypothetical.  They figure they'll lose shooting and gain in every other way.  This might be true.  A couple suggested their franchise was stupid for not taking the trade in December.

At the time I was a big believer that Monta Ellis was holding back Steph Curry.   I even imagined how a hypothetical Rondo/Curry trade would impact both teams.  Hilarious in retrospect.  I'll share my quote from March 2012 (celticsclay loves when I share vintage LarBrd33 sooths):

Yep.  Instead of playing with a ball-hog shooting guard who chucks 20 shots a night (Ellis), Curry would be playing with the big 3.  Celtics would be replacing one of the worst shooters in the league with a top 5 shooter in the league.  Our offense would flourish.  Rondo can get assists when playing with three guys who can drop 20 a night efficiently... so can Curry.  Difference is, Curry will be able to spread the floor and make things even easier for the Big 3.  And Curry's 23... he'll fit in with whatever system, because he's an otherworldly shooter.  Even when the BIg 3 are gone, it will not be hard to fit players around him.  It would make sense to eventually just move him to his natural SG position after Ray retires. 

I'm not sure Rondo would be able to get 10 assists playing with Ellis.  He'd pass to Ellis... and then that black hole would create his own shot. 

I'd do the trade in a second.  Warriors aren't going to, though.

It's funny cuz we eventually got to see Rondo fail next to Monta Ellis...

Curry was averaging 14.7 points, 5.3 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 1.5 steals at the time and folks were worried about his ankles.   Rondo was at the height of his prime (averaging 15 points, 10 assists, 5 rebounds and 1.6 steals). 

*Sigh*...  it was the dream that could never be.

Another quote I had at the time:

I almost got all teary-eyed imagining what it would be like to add this guy's shooting to our team.  He's like a 23 year old Ray Allen.  Instead of teams just backing 5 feet off Rondo, they would HAVE to pay attention to Curry at all times.  What would that do for the big 3 and their spacing?  How can teams cover two Ray Allens?

I guess seeing Klay and Steph play together answers the question of what happens with two Ray Allens.... 67 wins.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:22:02 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
So... Former Timberwolves GM, David Kahn, took two PGs, Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn, ahead of the 2015 NBA MVP Stephen Curry in the 2009 NBA Draft.
The only color that matters is GREEN