Author Topic: Surprise! Tyler Zeller is the NBA's 6th-best shooter from 16+ feet  (Read 2987 times)

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This article is a month old, but still a good read IMO.

//It’s quite clear that Brad Stevens has made it a point of emphasis to get Zeller the ball from 16 to 24 feet, and rightfully so, since he shoots 53.1 percent from that area. Zeller actually ranks sixth of the 292 players to attempt at least 20 shot attempts from 16-plus feet, making it a highly efficient shot for Boston’s offense.

Even though more frequent opportunities are there, Zeller claims it isn’t exactly something the coaching staff has integrated by calling different plays. After all, the point of a read-and-react offense is to naturally find the best available shot.

They yelled at me a couple of times when nobody was within five feet of me and I didn’t shoot it,” Zeller joked to the media. “But I don’t know if there was really any point when they made that [adjustment].”//

Full article by Kevin O'Connor here http://bostonceltics.about.com/od/Game-Recap/fl/Boston-Celtics-center-Tyler-Zeller-shows-his-goods-from-mid-range.htm

Re: Surprise! Tyler Zeller is the NBA's 6th-best shooter from 16+ feet
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He's a pretty good backup center on a contender , a Nick Collison type . We still need a starter though. He also needs to learn to box out more and add Weight to play with the big boys down low .

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not expecting Brad Stevens to make a 16-20 foot jumper a featured part of his offensive game plan anytime soon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Zeller needs to keep working on that 15-16 foot shot and 17-20 foot shot.

Very important shot for his career. He needs to be more than just a cutter on offense to be worth long minutes given his dodgy defensive work.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He may well be a PF in a C 's body.   I knew his midrange was good but I did not think he was top ten.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:41 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
At least 20 shot attempts?  What did he have, 30?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
At least 20 shot attempts?  What did he have, 20 30?
(fixed)
We meet again lol
The stats I could find are for 15 (not 16) ft or more. He attempted 95 and made 45. I did not work out the math but I guess it is above 45%  :P
http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203092/stats/shooting/

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25

the numbers are not full season, on the season from 15-19 ft he shot 46.2%. limiting this to player with at least 20 attempts he finishes 53rd. limiting to 91 or more pushes him up into a tie for 24th. that is good for a tie for 3rd on the team, or tied for 1st among players on the team with at least 20 attempts(Olynyk also shot 46.2% but on only 52 attempts)

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
He is pretty money on that shot

I enjoy seeing him take that one
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:48 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

the numbers are not full season, on the season from 15-19 ft he shot 46.2%. limiting this to player with at least 20 attempts he finishes 53rd. limiting to 91 or more pushes him up into a tie for 24th. that is good for a tie for 3rd on the team, or tied for 1st among players on the team with at least 20 attempts(Olynyk also shot 46.2% but on only 52 attempts)
good job  ;D TP
where did you get the stats?

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 01:55:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
He may well be a PF in a C 's body.   I knew his midrange was good but I did not think he was top ten.

He's almost never guarded from that range.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 06:49:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm not expecting Brad Stevens to make a 16-20 foot jumper a featured part of his offensive game plan anytime soon.

While not featured it is important. Having a center with range even if not 3pt range helps to space out the opponents defense. This has been a long time key to success for the Spurs. Below are the shot charts this season for Duncan and Zeller.

Tim Duncan http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1131/tim-duncan/shotchart/

Tyler Zeller http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1408/tyler-zeller/shotchart/

The progretion to a reliable mid range shooter really increases Zellers value. He ultimately will have to come off the bench as the Cs will need more talent at the stating 5 but I think he could thrive as the 3rd big.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 08:25:46 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Zeller should be shooting 3s.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

While not featured it is important. Having a center with range even if not 3pt range helps to space out the opponents defense. This has been a long time key to success for the Spurs. Below are the shot charts this season for Duncan and Zeller.

Tim Duncan http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1131/tim-duncan/shotchart/

Tyler Zeller http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1408/tyler-zeller/shotchart/

The progretion to a reliable mid range shooter really increases Zellers value. He ultimately will have to come off the bench as the Cs will need more talent at the stating 5 but I think he could thrive as the 3rd big.

Its a valuable weapon for Zeller to have, I'm just suggesting that under Stevens it's not likely to ever be a featured part of his game.  Rather, it'll be a pressure valve when the ball is moving around and Zeller gets left wide open later in the shot clock.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Its a valuable weapon for Zeller to have, I'm just suggesting that under Stevens it's not likely to ever be a featured part of his game. Rather, it'll be a pressure valve when the ball is moving around and Zeller gets left wide open later in the shot clock.
//“They yelled at me a couple of times when nobody was within five feet of me and I didn’t shoot it,” Zeller joked to the media. “//