Author Topic: Idea: Gaillnari-Lawson to Sacramento, Rudy Gay to Boston, Assets to Denver  (Read 3816 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
actually have more interest in Lawson than Gay.
Me too. I think more dribble penetration is key to Boston upgrading their offense. Ty Lawson provides that.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I prefer a younger 3 with upside and position versatility like Middleton who costs nothing but money. Having said that, the chances of Milwaukee not matching seem to be diminishing if media reports are to be believed. This becomes a reasonable option for us to pursue. I see Denver's motivation which is to clear salary, remove Lawson's substance and behavior issues, and rework their roster. The motivation for Sacramento is a little less clear given Gay's incredibly reasonable contract and the idea of adding the unstable Lawson to a team with the already difficult Cousins. In the end, if SAC gets an upgrade at the 1 and 4 with Sullinger and Lawson with an acceptable downgrade at the 3 in Gallinari, they might bite. I don't think Denver is taking the expiring Wallace contract while moving the expiring Gallinari contract. SAC can just about absorb the three salaries by moving Gay, not qualifying Derrick Williams, and some minor tinkering.  Our 16 and 28 seems fair to me given Denver's motivation with Sullinger going to SAC.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:28:47 AM by Irish Stew »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
actually have more interest in Lawson than Gay.
Me too. I think more dribble penetration is key to Boston upgrading their offense. Ty Lawson provides that.

The price would have to be right.  And by that I mean relatively low.  Do not want to see the Celts give up many assets to acquire a 5'11'' point guard who will be 28 at the start of the season (November 3rd) and who relies a great deal on speed for his production.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Danny said we need a dynamic scorer and I think Rudy Gay fits in as a scorer. I think he will fit well very well in our system and now he's more efficient, less of a ball hog and a better passer.
I think if he would come, he would be the SF that Stevens would love in a better role of what Jeff Green should have done.
The problem is just age but he will be decent for a few years while I hope Young will develop and overtake him.

Smart
Bradley
Gay
Sullinger/KO
Center (FA/Draft)

I think this lineup will be good in the east.

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
because of his new cap-friendly deal, I would be interested in Rudy Gay.  He's coming off his best NBA season and seems like the type of player that Brad Stevens could really utilize.  He fits a need (scoring) and runs the court well.  He'd be an intriguing player to bring here.  Especially, if Ainge can land a big name free agent like Marc Gasol, LMA, etc. 

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I like the idea, not so sure where it puts us as a team though? Are we stuck deeper in no man's land or just slowly building with a 28 year old?
The good part of your trade was sending Galinari to Sacto.
I think I'd prefer trading for Gay if we knew we could put a top 4 team in the East out on the floor.
So if we are bringing Gay to Boston, we need to get Lawson here as well as part of this deal.

Lawson shouldn't be too hard to get, and we'd probably get him for James Young or the Clippers pick+ future 2nd rounders.

Gay on the other hand is the hard part. They are probably going to demand at least Olynyk+Bradley so they can put out a Collison, Bradley, Gallinari, Olynyk/Faried, Cousins line up.

Anyway, if we could put out a team like:

Lawson
Smart
Gay
Sullinger
Hibbert/DeAndre etc then we'd probably be a tough 2nd round playoff exit.

Another possibility would be to get Lawson, send Gallinari to the Kings and Gay to the Heat, whilst getting back Miami's #10 pick.
Something like (very rough idea off top my head...so go easy!)

Celtics get:
-Ty Lawson
-Miami 2015 first round pick #10 (we can now trade this up to get someone we are set on ie: Heznoja, Porzingis)
-Nick Stauskas

Nuggets get:
-Avery Bradley
-Olynyk

Miami get:
-Rudy Gay
-Celtics 2015 pick #16
-Evan Turner

Kings get:
-Gallinari
-Miami 2016 first round pick
-Clippers 2015 pick #24

we then trot out:
-Lawson
-Smart
-Khris Middleton or 2015 Miami pick (Heznoja?)
-Sullinger or 2015 Miami Pick (Porzingris?)
-Hibbert/DeAndre/Robin Lopez etc (insert random free agent center here).

I don't mind Rudy Gay, and I think he's gotten much better since leaving Toronto. However I think it's funny that people don't mind paying Rudy Gay $14 million at 28 years old yet scoff at paying Khris Middleton $16 million at 23 years old like we are putting ourselves in financial jeopardy with a $108 million cap.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not really interested in trading for Lawson.  Not actively looking to trade Bradley away.

I think I'm on the record as being willing to max Middleton, I just think that Milwaukee traded away Knight partly so that they could pay Middleton and match a max offer sheet if necessary, so I don't think he is likely to be attainable.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bad idea