Author Topic: Idea: Gaillnari-Lawson to Sacramento, Rudy Gay to Boston, Assets to Denver  (Read 3791 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This trade idea is premised on the idea that there is no way Sacramento trades Demarcus Cousins, while George Karl wants to bring in some of his favorite Nuggets to surround DMC.

I have always opposed trying to acquire Rudy Gay.  However, two things have changed.  One is that he signed an extension for an amount that I find much more tolerable than his previous contract.  The other is that he has shown the ability to modify his game and function as a smallball stretch four and playmaking point forward instead of just being a volume scorer.

So, Denver goes into full rebuilding mode and sends Danilo Gallinari and Ty Lawson to Sacramento.  Maybe Sully goes to Sac'to and Denver gets the #16 pick and the Philly second-round pick.  Sacramento gives up Rudy Gay and Darren Collison.  They also give up a young player like Nik Stauskus and draft considerations.  However, a rebuilding Nuggets have no need for the veteran Gay and the likely #6 pick may be a bit of an overpay.

Enter the Celtics, who have a use for Gay as an upgrade on Evan Turner.  His bump up to 3.7 assists per game shows that he might have the passing ability at SF that the Celtics need to compensate for Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley's relative deficiencies in that area.

The Celtics give up a package of Jared Sullinger (or maybe Olynyk) and at least one first round pick for Rudy Gay.  Other contracts may be moved for salary cap math reasons.  Maybe Gerald Wallace's expiring contract gets sent to Denver.   The Celtics retain the ability to sign a major free agent.

The Celtics end up looking like:

a guard rotation of Smart/Bradley/Thomas
Gay/Crowder at SF
Bass and/or Jerebko brought back to split PF minutes with Olynyk
Zeller backing up a free agent center acquisition like Robin Lopez or Omer Asik

James Young trying to earn playing time.  Maybe Evan Turner sticks around, getting some of his minutes as the fourth guard.  Datome could be back for cheap as a guy who ha a chance of becoming that 40% three point shooter off the bench.  The Celtics may or may not have some rookies to fill out the roster, depending on what draft considerations they have to give up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not entirely opposed to acquiring Rudy Gay.  I think he's become a little bit underrated due to his awful time in Toronto.

He's still one of the best scorers at the small forward position in the league, and as you note, he's improved as a shooter and as a passer.

Still, I'm not sure how good a fit he would be in the Celtics' offense, and Gay has always seemed like he'd be best suited to act as a small-ball 4.  Why the Kings have never tried that I don't know.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why?? Gay is overrated and overpaid

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

He's really not. He's a 20 PPG scorer who shoots 45/36/86 with 6 RPG and 4 APG, and is making just over $12mil next year.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I disagree on both counts.

Still not sure if I love the trade. Wed give up what? Sully, 16, 33, and a future #1 for Rudy Gay?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

After this year, Gay's annual salary looks like this:

12 million
13 million
14 million

That's a really cap friendly deal for a 28 year old 20+ ppg scorer on the wing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

After this year, Gay's annual salary looks like this:

12 million
13 million
14 million

That's a really cap friendly deal for a 28 year old 20+ ppg scorer on the wing.
Not to put words in his mouth but I assume Triboy saw his 20 mil salary for this year and assume it extended for the next 3 years.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Really plausible trade idea. I think Denver would want a little more, though. I don't think the 16th pick can get it done.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Still, I'm not sure how good a fit he would be in the Celtics' offense, and Gay has always seemed like he'd be best suited to act as a small-ball 4.  Why the Kings have never tried that I don't know.

Mike Malone didn't like the idea.  George Karl has talked a lot about it and sees Gay as playing 10-15 minutes per game at PF, more with a favorable matchup, less with a bad matchup.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Really plausible trade idea. I think Denver would want a little more, though. I don't think the 16th pick can get it done.

I left it open-ended by saying that the Celtics give up at least one first round pick.  So, I want to ask what is the most value that Ainge can give up and make this a good trade and what are Denver/Sacramento going to insist upon?

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Love it, especially if they could include Gerald Wallace so they could still sign someone, that would be ideal.

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Not opposed on trading for gay.. too much value given to the kongs

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Would make that trade in a heartbeat, wouldn't even have to think about it.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Would not do that trade
 Mainly cuz I don't like gay
And I don't think he would be able to attract free agents as he is not one of those allstar SF

But I do believe Stevens would make the most of gay's talent like he has shown with other players these past 2 seasons

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not a fan of the deal.  would prefer to keep Sully and the #16 and not a fan of Gay.

actually have more interest in Lawson than Gay.