Author Topic: Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?  (Read 8599 times)

Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Was the fight of the century worth the $100 PPV for those who paid the money?

Did the fight live up to the hype?

AND

For those old enough does it compare to Ali-Frazier I??

Re: Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It did not.

But there's no one to blame but Floyd, because he dominated Manny. The hype was proper. Manny and Floyd were the two best boxers coming in, with impressive resume's and clashing personalities and styles of fighting. No one was saying that it's not worth $100 coming in to the fight.

It just so happened that Manny was grounded and Floyd made it easy. It's like the Star Wars prequels. Everyone was excited because it was George Lucas and the first trilogy was epic, and coming in everyone was excited and is willing to miss whatever they are doing to see it on premier day. And then Jar Jar Binks happened.

I paid for that fight, and I feel like half of my money was worth it because Floyd lived to the hype, and Manny didn't, due to the fact that Floyd didn't let him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I didn't see it, nor do I watch boxing regularly. but I have and do on occasionally.

but even I could have told anyone who cared to listen - no boxing match or PPV will ever live up to the hype. it's worse than wrestling.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
It did not.

But there's no one to blame but Floyd, because he dominated Manny. The hype was proper. Manny and Floyd were the two best boxers coming in, with impressive resume's and clashing personalities and styles of fighting. No one was saying that it's not worth $100 coming in to the fight.

It just so happened that Manny was grounded and Floyd made it easy. It's like the Star Wars prequels. Everyone was excited because it was George Lucas and the first trilogy was epic, and coming in everyone was excited and is willing to miss whatever they are doing to see it on premier day. And then Jar Jar Binks happened.

I paid for that fight, and I feel like half of my money was worth it because Floyd lived to the hype, and Manny didn't, due to the fact that Floyd didn't let him.

TP for the Jar Jar Binks reference.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hype no expectations yes. Fight went as expected not what they try to sell it as. When taller, longer, stronger fighter has equal speed as well as skill and he doesn't take chances he usually out boxes the opponent and wins.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
No but it was overhyped to begin with.

Mayweather's style dictated that it wasn't going to be an aesthetically pleasing fight to begin with. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
people who are unfamiliar with boxing and even more so unfamiliar with the style of fighter Mayweather is were disappointed.
Greg

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
people who are unfamiliar with boxing and even more so unfamiliar with the style of fighter Mayweather is were disappointed.

Major reason I didn't buy the fight is because I knew Mayweather would not spar. I do not enjoy watching a boxing match where one boxer dances away from the contest all night and he is rewarded over the fighter that is actually aggressive. What if Manny decided to dance and float backwards would there be a fight?

The golden days of boxing was when the boxers actually came to compete, and either one or both of the boxers had to go to the hospital after the fight. The boxers are wiser now, and all they really do is make a ton of money by fixing fights. By fixing fights I mean setting up a fight so there can be a re-match. So for those that watched this fight, is there going to be a re-match? I doubt it from what I have heard/read so far.

What do I do with the $100 I saved.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It was never going to -- you'd need a time machine for this fight to have been 'worth' anything.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Major reason I didn't buy the fight is because I knew Mayweather would not spar. I do not enjoy watching a boxing match where one boxer dances away from the contest all night and he is rewarded over the fighter that is actually aggressive. What if Manny decided to dance and float backwards would there be a fight?

The golden days of boxing was when the boxers actually came to compete, and either one or both of the boxers had to go to the hospital after the fight. The boxers are wiser now, and all they really do is make a ton of money by fixing fights. By fixing fights I mean setting up a fight so there can be a re-match. So for those that watched this fight, is there going to be a re-match? I doubt it from what I have heard/read so far.

What do I do with the $100 I saved.

Thank Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard for that style.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Utter disappointment.  But i wasn't surprised.  It's a Mayweather fight.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This was made before the fight:  http://youtu.be/pCVhyrgWSBY

It basically went just like that.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I kinda knew Mayweather was going to win. Of course my friends wasn't too happy with my decision. I knew Pac-man was going to chase Mayweather around the ring. And I told them the fight will disappoint

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The only loser last night was the public.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell