Author Topic: Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?  (Read 8606 times)

Re: Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 09:11:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How much does Mayweather's style and strategy have to do with being trained by his father. I mean how many father's want to lead their son to putting his body/health in jeopardy.

What do the posters think happened three of four years ago when the fight was cancelled over the drug testing dispute? Do you think the dispute was real or was it just manufactured because Floyd did not want the fight under any circumstance?

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:11 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Hugging has always been a part of the sport.

I'm going with Mayweather's style/strategy has to do with wanting to win fights.

I think the rules of the game have to be questioned, not Mayweather's integrity.

That's the same as questioning players who foul to stop a fast-break.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 10:20:38 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I'm going with Mayweather's style/strategy has to do with wanting to win fights.

I think the rules of the game have to be questioned, not Mayweather's integrity.

thats a great comparison as far as the hugging goes
Greg

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

thats a great comparison as far as the hugging goes

True. Hopefully the rules of boxing are changed to discourage hugging, just as the rules in the NBA were to discourage fouling to stop breaks.

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

but fouling is part of the game, and has its own penalties. Hugging is not part of boxing otherwise the sport would be called wrestling.

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 10:58:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The fight was a snooze-fest.

I'm a boxing fan and I can appreciate Floyd's style to some degree. But [dang] does it make for some ugly boxing matches. Here's why this was a dud:

1. Manny has too many miles on him. Earlier in his career, when he was faster, he might have been able to make a go of it. But his furious style has left him a step slow (whereas Mayweather's style ages gracefully). He simply couldn't get there.

2. Manny doesn't have the power at this weight class to respect, nor does he have the reach. He's a natural Featherweight. He really hasn't knocked anyone out at welterweight. His only two "KOs" at that weight have asterisks beside them - a washed up De La Hoya quit on his stool and his TKO against Cotto was at a catchweight below the welterweight limit. That was his last decision that didn't go the distance and that was SIX years ago. He simply doesn't have the power or the reach of a true welterweight. It showed last night in the last 6 rounds - Mayweather simply didn't need to respect Manny's punch.

3. Floyd is a wonderful defensive fighter, but he gets away with running, holding, grabbing and shoving more than any other pro in the business. It's all part of a solid defensive strategy but he should be called for fouls a lot more than he does. Floyd likes to leave his punches out there and steer the opponent's head or push the head down. Most fighters will slide off to the side to get loose and Floyd's ready with a shot when they do. It's a great strategy if the refs allow you to get away with it.

You have to hand it to Mayweather, he knows what his bread and butter is. He knows he doesn't really have much power at this weight class and he can't move up. He went to 154 once and almost had his ass handed to him by an aging Oscar (DLH had lost to Mosley and Hopkins by that time). That's why he went right back down again. He's beatable but it's going to take some doing - someone with a reach advantage who can flick the jab repeatedly in Floyd's face and take the occasional counter you'll get for doing so. Also, the fighter will need to step in when Floyd pushes the head down - almost ramming the head into Floyd's gut and coming up sharply instead of sliding off to the side. Maidana did some of that in the first fight and Mayweather had a really difficult time dealing with it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 11:04:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
No the fight itself wasnt what it was hyped to be but it was what i expected. To be honest, thenight was a blast. I dont get why everyone on the internet is calling it a waste of a 100 bucks. You get a bunch of buddies together everybody puts in 5-15 bucks and you make a night of it.

I got wicked excited for the fight, pretended I understoodd boxing terminology for few hours and dont regret the 10 bucks it cost.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.