Author Topic: CBS to the Spurs?  (Read 9411 times)

Re: CBS to the Spurs?
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 01:33:03 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I don't get when people started taking so much interest in what Simmons and Rose said?

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've seen 90% of what comes out of both those guys is random hearsay that never eventuates. 

I still remember when Simmons was utterly convinced that Rondo would end being traded to the Knicks, and when (during draft predictions) they didn't even have Marcus Smart going in the top 10.

It's not like this is insider information - it's really on more concrete than the various threads that pop up on here about us acquiring Cousins.

Honestly, I don't think we're going to see any "trading" of coaches any time soon.  The Doc Rivers situation was a very unique scenario in which I think he and Danny both wanted to go different directions, the team was about to go through a drastic change (from consistent playoff team to competing for a wooden spoon) and two of the players closest to Doc (Pierce and KG) were about to be traded out.  It was an extreme scenario where the change made sense and was essentially a win-win for all parties involved. 

Well put, TP

Re: CBS to the Spurs?
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 01:51:12 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
My question is, can Brad actually break his contract to join a different NBA team?   Can he break his contract to join a NCAA team?  Is leaving for the NCAA different contractually?  Real question.  Still waiting for an answer.

I'm no lawyer, but my guess is that there'd be an issue if he wanted to coach another NBA team, but not if he wanted to coach an NCAA team.

The contract might have a "non-compete" or similar clause saying that Stevens can't leave and immediately start coaching another NBA team, because that could conceivably damage the C's directly.

If he wants to coach a college team I'd wager we can't do anything to stop him. No college team is really a competitor in that sense, and apart from such non-compete clauses I think employers have almost no recourse if an employee wants to quit for greener pastures.

Happy to be corrected by any of the real legal experts around here though.