Author Topic: CBS to the Spurs?  (Read 9402 times)

Re: CBS to the Spurs?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm zero percent worried about Stevens leaving town, honestly.
simmons and jalen rose sound convinced he will return to college in the next couple years.  I imagine his contract prevents him from taking an NBA job elsewhere, but does it prevent him from quitting and going back to the NCAA?

I haven't seen whatever bit with jalen and Simmons that you're referring to, but it sounds like a pessimistic hunch to me.  Stevens has shown a commitment to the process and I think so long as the team remains on a trajectory toward respectability he'll stick around.

I could see him moving on, though, if Ainge keeps churning the roster up and Brad never gets to work with a single promising core of guys for more than half a season.

I just don't buy that he came here with the intention of staying only if they gave him a championship caliber team within three or four years.  He's a much different dude than doc.
It was a podcast right before the playoffs.  They both said something to the extent of, "Celtics fans better enjoy the Brad Stevens era while they can... cuz he's not sticking around.  He'll be back in College within the next two years"

Edit:  Just skip to the 30 second mark.  http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=12714860   "He's only going to be in the NBA for 2 more years... so this is your last chance to really enjoy him coaching"  ... Jalen speculated Brad is holding out for one of the major jobs to open up (UNC, Duke, Indiana) ...  It was semi-joking, but... maybe not. 

I think that at was the best thing about making the playoffs this year... it placates Brad for another season.  If we don't add some significant talent this Summer and show more improvement, I'm not sure we will be able to hang onto him.

If their speculation is true, though, what was the point of Brad coming to the NBA and spending a few years learning a new game and enduring all the losing and roster turnover?  He could have stayed at Butler if transitioning to a different college gig was his ultimate goal.

I just don't see why Brad would leave unless his original purpose in coming here is frustrated.  I've never gotten the sense that he came here to get a shot at leading a contender within a short timeframe, or that the point was somehow to boost his credential for a more prestigious college gig.  His college rep was already about as good as it could be.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:15:24 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Greg Poppovich could be retiring soon, and ha speaks very highly of Coach Brad Stevens.  Am I the only one worried that Pops and the Spurs management might make a run at grabbing Brad Stevens as  a successor?
yes.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »

Offline farishmj16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
i am worried about him leaving

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Stevens is adapting to the pro game and the much higher level it is played at.  I'm sure he could go back to college and be successful but I don't see why he'd go back to coaching college now.  He is proving he is a top level coach in the NBA and he's here to stay.

I think things will keep getting better in Boston and he will stay.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
San Antonio will cease to be a marquee franchise soon. Duncan and Manu will retire soon. Parker is 32. They can be a good team with Pop and Kahwi, but they will fall from elite status.
i hear the Spurs are a front runner to sign Lamarcus alldrige.  Pretty sure they have room to sign someone to a max contract this summer as long as tim and Manu agree to lesser deals.

When it happens, I will believe it.  To often the "front runner" rumor is just that.  (see Knicks and Lakers recently)

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
if the Ping Pong Balls had dropped that way they SHOULD have in 1997...Rick Pitino would have been an NBA Hall of Fame Coach.
Pitino is no Pop. Pop would win with out Tim. Pitino could not win without Tim.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
if the Ping Pong Balls had dropped that way they SHOULD have in 1997...Rick Pitino would have been an NBA Hall of Fame Coach.
Pitino is no Pop. Pop would win with out Tim. Pitino could not win without Tim.

No coach wins without their best players. 

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Where does all of this speculation come from?  First he's going to Indiana, then possibly Texas.  Now he's potentially going to the Spurs.  That is, unless he goes to Duke first.  But he'll only go to Duke after he's coached a few years at UNC.

I have zero concern that Stevens will bolt before his contract ends.  Brad isn't stupid.  He knew what he was signing up for when he took the job - a potentially painful process with a rebuilding team devoid of elite talent.  And he's already had success this year with a very mediocre roster.

Consider the following:
Coaching the greatest basketball franchise in history?  Check.
Respected by coaches and players across the league?  Check.
Loved by his own players and the Celtic fan base? Check.
Loved by upper management? Check.  Ainge has nothing but praise for Brad.  Stated that he's always felt that Brad has done a great job from day one.
Team on the rise?  Check.  Ainge has the tools and knowhow to set Brad up for greater success within a very reasonable time frame.

Not to mention, he's under contract for 4 more years.  When Ainge offered that 6 year contract and Brad signed it, Ainge was like:

Brad is here to stay.  We're moving forward together.  When he was asked about all of the rumors regarding Indiana and Texas, Brad simply stated "I'll be in Boston".  There's no legitimacy behind any of the stupid rumors we've heard.

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
do you think Pop retires if Duncan retires? so he doesn't tarnish his legacy with a rebuild ?

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
San Antonio will cease to be a marquee franchise soon. Duncan and Manu will retire soon. Parker is 32. They can be a good team with Pop and Kahwi, but they will fall from elite status.
i hear the Spurs are a front runner to sign Lamarcus alldrige.  Pretty sure they have room to sign someone to a max contract this summer as long as tim and Manu agree to lesser deals.

When it happens, I will believe it.  To often the "front runner" rumor is just that.  (see Knicks and Lakers recently)
Was from Marc Stein

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3803/steins-scoop-next-for-blazers-aldridge

Yet sources insist -- at, yes, this early juncture -- that San Antonio sits near or at the top of Aldridge's list ... unless the Cleveland Cavaliers were to lose Kevin Love and then somehow manufacture a way to sign-and-trade for him.

The Knicks and Lakers, of course, also intend to enter the bidding. And there will surely be others.

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm zero percent worried about Stevens leaving town, honestly.
simmons and jalen rose sound convinced he will return to college in the next couple years.  I imagine his contract prevents him from taking an NBA job elsewhere, but does it prevent him from quitting and going back to the NCAA?

I haven't seen whatever bit with jalen and Simmons that you're referring to, but it sounds like a pessimistic hunch to me.  Stevens has shown a commitment to the process and I think so long as the team remains on a trajectory toward respectability he'll stick around.

I could see him moving on, though, if Ainge keeps churning the roster up and Brad never gets to work with a single promising core of guys for more than half a season.

I just don't buy that he came here with the intention of staying only if they gave him a championship caliber team within three or four years.  He's a much different dude than doc.
It was a podcast right before the playoffs.  They both said something to the extent of, "Celtics fans better enjoy the Brad Stevens era while they can... cuz he's not sticking around.  He'll be back in College within the next two years"

Edit:  Just skip to the 30 second mark.  http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=12714860   "He's only going to be in the NBA for 2 more years... so this is your last chance to really enjoy him coaching"  ... Jalen speculated Brad is holding out for one of the major jobs to open up (UNC, Duke, Indiana) ...  It was semi-joking, but... maybe not. 

I think that at was the best thing about making the playoffs this year... it placates Brad for another season.  If we don't add some significant talent this Summer and show more improvement, I'm not sure we will be able to hang onto him.

If their speculation is true, though, what was the point of Brad coming to the NBA and spending a few years learning a new game and enduring all the losing and roster turnover? 
I think his motivation for coming to Boston is pretty transparent.  There's a chance here that Danny can put together an elite roster and Brad can be the coach of a contender for years to come.  At the time of him signing the contract, the thought of coming leading a Boston team and growing alongside talent like Andrew Wiggins and Jahill Okafor was somewhat reasonable.

The thing is, if Boston continues to field a talentless squad with little hope of contending, you can't expect Brad to stick around indefinitely with a perpetually mediocre roster... especially if a desirable top-tier school becomes available.  Brad has certainly proven his ability as a coach... he'll be at the top of any list of potential job openings. 

This kind of speculation is nothing new.  There were articles written about the Indiana Hoosiers back in December and how there was real risk of Stevens taking the gig if it became available:  http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/12/14/brad-stevens-may-feel-pull-indiana-future/KiNS9qCfsTrczUDBY1zr8H/story.html  ...

I think Bill/Jalen's point is pretty straight-forward.  This team progbably doesn't have much hope of contending anytime soon.  Inevitably one of those dream jobs will open up...  So they figure Brad is only here for a couple more seasons of this experiment.   Sure, it was semi joking, but there is some truth to it.   If we don't have forward momentum with the roster, I can't imagine him sticking around for 4 more seasons.    It's up to Danny not to fail Brad.

My question is, can Brad actually break his contract to join a different NBA team?   Can he break his contract to join a NCAA team?  Is leaving for the NCAA different contractually?  Real question.  Still waiting for an answer.

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Stevens is bad --> OMG this rookie will disgrace the greatest franchise in sports history.
Stevens is good --> OMG he is going to take Pops job.
I have a suggestion to make: let's all pray he is mediocre. It's an inner peace of mind, tibetan wisdom and mindful awareness kind of thing.

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2015, 11:23:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't get when people started taking so much interest in what Simmons and Rose said?

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've seen 90% of what comes out of both those guys is random hearsay that never eventuates. 

I still remember when Simmons was utterly convinced that Rondo would end being traded to the Knicks, and when (during draft predictions) they didn't even have Marcus Smart going in the top 10.

It's not like this is insider information - it's really on more concrete than the various threads that pop up on here about us acquiring Cousins.

Honestly, I don't think we're going to see any "trading" of coaches any time soon.  The Doc Rivers situation was a very unique scenario in which I think he and Danny both wanted to go different directions, the team was about to go through a drastic change (from consistent playoff team to competing for a wooden spoon) and two of the players closest to Doc (Pierce and KG) were about to be traded out.  It was an extreme scenario where the change made sense and was essentially a win-win for all parties involved. 

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've never gotten the sense that Stevens, like Pitino, came here expecting the team to get a top pick in the very next draft, allowing him to coach up a superstar for the next twenty years.

If anything, it seems he's done everything he can to avoid losing enough games to have a real chance at that sort of young talent.  He's never appeared to be complicit in the tank job, not even last year. 

It's all speculation, but it seems that Stevens craves stability and a chance to win on his own terms, with his own system and culture in place, with a group of guys who know and trust one another.

The question is whether Ainge can get that group of guys in place without turning the roster over a handful of times first.  Because I think going through another year or two of turnover like the Celts went through this year is the most likely thing to turn Stevens away and back to college.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Duncan kawhi and diaw to the celts?

Oh wait, that's just as ridiculous
I trust Danny Ainge