Author Topic: CBS to the Spurs?  (Read 9407 times)

Re: CBS to the Spurs?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 10:36:34 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
We have CBS locked up for 4 years, which completely nullifies this thread.

TP to you sir. It's that simple.

I shake my head in disbelief every time someone posts one of these "CBS is going to leave the Celtics" threads. He signed a 6 year, $22 million contract two years ago, something that the most basic google search on him will bring up. You'd think that someone would at least look that up before posting this kind of junk...
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm zero percent worried about Stevens leaving town, honestly.

I'm 0% worried now. If Stevens leads another ragtag bunch to 45 wins and the second round next year, and Danny hasn't concretely moved our championship chances forward by getting a top 20 talent or two...then I'm worried. Like, 50% or more.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 11:50:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Greg Poppovich could be retiring soon, and ha speaks very highly of Coach Brad Stevens.  Am I the only one worried that Pops and the Spurs management might make a run at grabbing Brad Stevens as  a successor?

Considering they already have Pop's successor in place in Ettore Messina, yes, you are.

As a Celtics fan you'd love to see Messina as Pop's successor, but don't think Spurs fans will be very happy with that. Messina isn't just very good at coaching. His success is based in spending more money than his competitors, and that will only work if you're the Lakers. You can ask Real Madrid about all the millions buried in trying to make the Final Four.

Stevens has 4 more years in Green, but if the Spurs are willing to send us Kawhi, I'd send them Brad.
Didn't we learn from the Doc situation that coaches and players cannot be involved in the same deal?

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 11:56:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
San Antonio will cease to be a marquee franchise soon. Duncan and Manu will retire soon. Parker is 32. They can be a good team with Pop and Kahwi, but they will fall from elite status.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 12:00:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm 0% worried now. If Stevens leads another ragtag bunch to 45 wins and the second round next year, and Danny hasn't concretely moved our championship chances forward by getting a top 20 talent or two...then I'm worried. Like, 50% or more.

Why?  Do you think Stevens will be uninterested in sticking around if he doesn't have a roster with multiple elite talents?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can see him going there if they had their core but guess what they are going to have to rebuild.  We will be further along than them at that point.   If Duncan retires and Manu and Pop goes, some of their free agents may bolt on them as well.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 12:27:17 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Why?  Do you think Stevens will be uninterested in sticking around if he doesn't have a roster with multiple elite talents?

It's less about his interest in being here, and more about the type of offers he might get from other teams.

I mean, my scenario above is pretty far-fetched, so I'm not super-worried, but if Stevens pulls something like that off he will be one of the hottest commodities the NBA coaching world has seen in recent years.

If you're Stevens and you can leave to coach Anthony Davis, or the Bulls, or the Blazers, or Houston, at 2 times your current salary - why would you say no? Maybe at that point it would boil down to how much faith Stevens has in Ainge.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 12:32:48 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Greg Poppovich could be retiring soon, and ha speaks very highly of Coach Brad Stevens.  Am I the only one worried that Pops and the Spurs management might make a run at grabbing Brad Stevens as  a successor?

Considering they already have Pop's successor in place in Ettore Messina, yes, you are.

As a Celtics fan you'd love to see Messina as Pop's successor, but don't think Spurs fans will be very happy with that. Messina isn't just very good at coaching. His success is based in spending more money than his competitors, and that will only work if you're the Lakers. You can ask Real Madrid about all the millions buried in trying to make the Final Four.

Stevens has 4 more years in Green, but if the Spurs are willing to send us Kawhi, I'd send them Brad.
Didn't we learn from the Doc situation that coaches and players cannot be involved in the same deal?

yes, but we can make separate deals if nobody is telling the League's office.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 01:07:18 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm very positive that Brad will stay here. A compliment to a colleague doesn't mean planting the seeds of pirating one coach to be in another team.

If we follow that kind of logic, then its safe to say that LeBron James would play for is next year, because he complimented CBS as to how good a coach he is.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 01:22:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
simmons and jalen rose sound convinced he will return to college in the next couple years.  I imagine his contract prevents him from taking an NBA job elsewhere, but does it prevent him from quitting and going back to the NCAA?

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
San Antonio will cease to be a marquee franchise soon. Duncan and Manu will retire soon. Parker is 32. They can be a good team with Pop and Kahwi, but they will fall from elite status.
i hear the Spurs are a front runner to sign Lamarcus alldrige.  Pretty sure they have room to sign someone to a max contract this summer as long as tim and Manu agree to lesser deals.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 01:51:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
simmons and jalen rose sound convinced he will return to college in the next couple years.  I imagine his contract prevents him from taking an NBA job elsewhere, but does it prevent him from quitting and going back to the NCAA?

I haven't seen whatever bit with jalen and Simmons that you're referring to, but it sounds like a pessimistic hunch to me.  Stevens has shown a commitment to the process and I think so long as the team remains on a trajectory toward respectability he'll stick around.

I could see him moving on, though, if Ainge keeps churning the roster up and Brad never gets to work with a single promising core of guys for more than half a season.

I just don't buy that he came here with the intention of staying only if they gave him a championship caliber team within three or four years.  He's a much different dude than doc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 02:18:16 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
He is locked in.

Unless he gets a title immediately after leaving, there is no real upside to leaving now. Despite the success (moderate) this year he is still young, relatively inexperienced and in the middle of a project he probably wants to finish. If he went to a contender and didn't get a title, it does little for his rep.

CBS is our most valuable asset right now, no way DA doesn't do everything he can to keep him in place.

I just don't see it.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 05:37:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I haven't seen whatever bit with jalen and Simmons that you're referring to, but it sounds like a pessimistic hunch to me.  Stevens has shown a commitment to the process and I think so long as the team remains on a trajectory toward respectability he'll stick around.

I could see him moving on, though, if Ainge keeps churning the roster up and Brad never gets to work with a single promising core of guys for more than half a season.

I just don't buy that he came here with the intention of staying only if they gave him a championship caliber team within three or four years.  He's a much different dude than doc.
It was a podcast right before the playoffs.  They both said something to the extent of, "Celtics fans better enjoy the Brad Stevens era while they can... cuz he's not sticking around.  He'll be back in College within the next two years"

Edit:  Just skip to the 30 second mark.  http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=12714860   "He's only going to be in the NBA for 2 more years... so this is your last chance to really enjoy him coaching"  ... Jalen speculated Brad is holding out for one of the major jobs to open up (UNC, Duke, Indiana) ...  It was semi-joking, but... maybe not. 

I think that at was the best thing about making the playoffs this year... it placates Brad for another season.  If we don't add some significant talent this Summer and show more improvement, I'm not sure we will be able to hang onto him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:55:19 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 06:53:27 AM »

Offline sh_touttahere

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Same here.

Brad seems very loyal to the green and I can see him being the Celtics coach for the next 20 years