Author Topic: CBS to the Spurs?  (Read 9405 times)

CBS to the Spurs?
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Greg Poppovich could be retiring soon, and ha speaks very highly of Coach Brad Stevens.  Am I the only one worried that Pops and the Spurs management might make a run at grabbing Brad Stevens as  a successor?
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: CBS to the Spurs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
You came to that conclusion just from one coach complimenting another coach?   ::)

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Greg Poppovich could be retiring soon, and ha speaks very highly of Coach Brad Stevens.  Am I the only one worried that Pops and the Spurs management might make a run at grabbing Brad Stevens as  a successor?
yes.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If Pop retires I imagine Duncan is also retiring.  Makes the Spurs job less desirable. 

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Considering they already have Pop's successor in place in Ettore Messina, yes, you are.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
We have CBS locked up for 4 years, which completely nullifies this thread.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

Considering they already have Pop's successor in place in Ettore Messina, yes, you are.

As a Celtics fan you'd love to see Messina as Pop's successor, but don't think Spurs fans will be very happy with that. Messina isn't just very good at coaching. His success is based in spending more money than his competitors, and that will only work if you're the Lakers. You can ask Real Madrid about all the millions buried in trying to make the Final Four.

Stevens has 4 more years in Green, but if the Spurs are willing to send us Kawhi, I'd send them Brad.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »

Offline greenpride33

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2

As a Celtics fan you'd love to see Messina as Pop's successor, but don't think Spurs fans will be very happy with that. Messina isn't just very good at coaching. His success is based in spending more money than his competitors, and that will only work if you're the Lakers. You can ask Real Madrid about all the millions buried in trying to make the Final Four.

Stevens has 4 more years in Green, but if the Spurs are willing to send us Kawhi, I'd send them Brad.

Ettore Messina
Career highlights and awards

As coach:

4× Euroleague champion (1998, 2001, 2006, 2008)
    1x Cup Winners' Cup champion (1990)
    2× Euroleague Coach of the Year (2006, 2008)
    4× Italian League champion (1993, 1998, 2001, 2003)
    7× Italian Cup champion (1990, 1999, 2001–2005)
    5× Russian League champion (2006–2009, 2013)
    2× Russian Cup champion (2006–2007)
    2× VTB United League champion (2013–2014)
    50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors

Messina's time at Real Madrid was the most insignificant detail in his career.

Career history

1989–1993    Virtus Bologna
1993–1997    Italy
1997–2002    Virtus Bologna
2002–2005    Benetton Treviso
2005–2009    CSKA Moscow
2009–2011    Real Madrid
2011–2012    Los Angeles Lakers (consultant)
2012–2014    CSKA Moscow
2014–present    San Antonio Spurs (assistant)

Okay you might dislike him, but at least put out the facts...

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I don't really pay attention to the coaching staff
But I'm under the impression that the Spurs have a good assistant coaching staff that can very well succeed poppovich
It would definitely be an advantage with regards to being more familiar with the players

Stevens is from Indiana like bird he probably has the same values of loyalty
Also I think he would rather build he's reputation and team from the ground up rather than for their own coaching record like how doc wanted to win rather than build a team again

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »

Offline greenpride33

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't really pay attention to the coaching staff
But I'm under the impression that the Spurs have a good assistant coaching staff that can very well succeed poppovich
It would definitely be an advantage with regards to being more familiar with the players

Stevens is from Indiana like bird he probably has the same values of loyalty
Also I think he would rather build he's reputation and team from the ground up rather than for their own coaching record like how doc wanted to win rather than build a team again

I totally agree with you. Thus, I am so fed up with everybody talking of the Celts as we were the most anonymous franchise on the planet! It's basketball we're talking about here.. let the Hollywood wannabe celebrities walk the Sunset Boulevard.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Jerry Sloan makes sense?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
if the Ping Pong Balls had dropped that way they SHOULD have in 1997...Rick Pitino would have been an NBA Hall of Fame Coach.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
How many threads are going to be made like this before his contract is up? Just b/c Doc bolted doesn't mean CBS will. Stevens was aware he was taking on a team not ready to win much, Doc left b/c he knew he didn't want to do it. Not the same thing.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

...Stevens has 4 more years in Green, but if the Spurs are willing to send us Kawhi, I'd send them Brad.

Really?  While Leonard in Celtic green would look pretty good, there is no way in Brooklyn...I mean hell...that I'd trade Coach for ANY player currently in the NBA.

He's proving that he has what it takes to become a great coach...taking our band of misfits and molding them into a playoff team.  Nobody expected that at the beginning of the year, after the Rondo trade, after the Green trade...but these guys worked their butts off and were competitive against the Cavs.  Much of that credit belongs to Coach.

One day, he may coach the Spurs...for everything, there is a season.  But I'm glad that we have at least four more years with Brad Stevens.  I really want to see what can happen with him at the helm and adding a couple of blue chip players to the team.

Rak

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 10:28:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm zero percent worried about Stevens leaving town, honestly. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain