Author Topic: Nets are NBA's Most Hopeless Franchise  (Read 12127 times)

Re: Nets are NBA's Most Hopeless Franchise
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
That's all well and good, but they could win 50 games next year and I wouldn't be surprised.   Just depends on what happens with Lopez and Thadeus.   With both those guys healthy, they should be a playoff team again next year.

they couldn't even win 40 this year and have no way of improving . How are the going to win 10+ more games next season ?
Healthy Lopez and full season of Young.

I would not bet on them, but they could be a decent team by east standards.

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If Lopez stays completely healthy we saw before they got KG , they were pretty good .   But without healthy Lopez starting , playing big minutes at full strength ,  they weren't a very good team , even with Pierce and KG .

If Lopez stays and stays healthy they could win 45 -50 games

If he leaves , so will one or two other key players and they have like 15 win season.

When healthy he is really a huge difference .

But right now nobody trusts him to stay healthy or wants to pay the crazy amount of money to,gamble he will.

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Lol ;D, did anyone else see this?

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25171781/nets-coach-lionel-hollins-deron-williams-no-longer-a-franchise-player

Nets coach Lionel Hollins said that his point guard Deron Williams is a solid player, but shouldn't be expected to be a franchise player any longer.

"He's not a franchise player anymore," Hollins said during his exit interview Saturday morning, per ESPN. "He's a good player, he's a solid player, but I don't think he's a franchise player anymore. That's just my opinion. He's a good player. I'm proud of the way he's bounced back and played, and there's so much pressure on him to be a franchise player, and everybody talks about a franchise player, but we need to have a franchise team.

BOOM, ahaha ;D!

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
The Nets' main hope is that they are in NY. They don't need to draft their way out of mediocrity, they can sign FA's. But with the current contract situation, yeah, pretty dire.

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25171781/nets-coach-lionel-hollins-deron-williams-no-longer-a-franchise-player

Nets coach Lionel Hollins said that his point guard Deron Williams is a solid player, but shouldn't be expected to be a franchise player any longer.

"He's not a franchise player anymore," Hollins said during his exit interview Saturday morning, per ESPN. "He's a good player, he's a solid player, but I don't think he's a franchise player anymore. That's just my opinion. He's a good player. I'm proud of the way he's bounced back and played, and there's so much pressure on him to be a franchise player, and everybody talks about a franchise player, but we need to have a franchise team.

BOOM, ahaha ;D!

They should rephrase it as, "Lionel Hollins states what the world already knew 2 years ago"

Seriously though, when your coach not only says you're not a franchise player but that you're not a franchise player anymore, that hurts. He basically said we invested in the wrong guy. Sounds like team unity to me.

Whether or not things get better or worse for the Nets, one thing is clear: They built that team to be a contender, and they have failed miserably.

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

BOOM, ahaha ;D!

They should rephrase it as, "Lionel Hollins states what the world already knew 2 years ago"

Seriously though, when your coach not only says you're not a franchise player but that you're not a franchise player anymore, that hurts. He basically said we invested in the wrong guy. Sounds like team unity to me.

Whether or not things get better or worse for the Nets, one thing is clear: They built that team to be a contender, and they have failed miserably.

Yeah, especially in the sense that Lopez and Williams are whiners, injury prone, and no one has that KG-Pierce fire.  Joe Johnson has it, imo, but he never says anything or shows it, so they need a guy to not only bring that competitive zeal, but display it, imo.  It'd also be nice if Hollins ever played young guys, because Markel Brown could have been a big help in that past series, again, imo, but he rarely got playing time.  Hollins is like Doc and KC Jones that way.  Ugh.  You can tell that their philosophy essentially is, "look, we're a contender, so you're not going to get any run here, no matter how good you are.  If you want to develop, go somewhere else and make it another coach's problem, and then come back if you're good enough.  I don't have time for this." ::) Idiots, and they only make it worse by then saying after a guy moves on that, "well, he wasn't really part of the team and didn't seem interested to be here."  Well, duh.  You can practice all you want, but if you never play, what's the point?  Look at James Young.  When he got time and scored 13 points, iirc, he was so enthusiastic and happy because he actually got a chance to play, only to be sent back to the d-league for the rest of the year.  You could see the change in him during the last game of the year - he wasn't enjoying himself out there, and he frankly looked scared, which is no way to develop talent, imo.  Just give the guys big minutes and see what happens instead of just wasting a year of his career. *facepalm* Seriously, look at how engaged and joyful he was here.  Sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TCOEzsb9wQ
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:08:52 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
There's zero chance IMO that Brooklyn wins 50 games next year. Even with Johnson, Williams, Lopez and Young on the court they aren't *that* good and they have zero money to spend. This was their healthy year - Lopez/ Williams/ Johnson played over 200 games.

That said, they could sneak into the playoffs with 40 wins in the east and either way we're picking in the 15+ range.

What I'd be concerned about are the picks further out. Yeah, they royally messed up their roster in the short term, but they'll have $60M to spend next summer and zero players on the roster after that. For all we know, they'll have Durant and another star by opening day 2016-17.

I'd love to sell those picks as high lottery picks now, while that's the prediction.

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
That's all well and good, but they could win 50 games next year and I wouldn't be surprised.   Just depends on what happens with Lopez and Thadeus.   With both those guys healthy, they should be a playoff team again next year.

The Nets are topped out. Other teams in the East will be better next season. They wouldn't have made the playoffs this season if Miami and Indiana didn't have any injuries.

Deron Williams can't even get off the bench in the 4th quarter he's so washed up. Wake up man they suck. You've been wrong about them for two years now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:06:48 PM by CelticSooner »

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Young is about on par with Jeff Green (at best).

Lopez is a one dimensional centre who's only impressive skill is scoring, and who's lucky to play 50 games in the season.   

Deron Williams has fallen off so badly he's barely even considered starting calibre anymore.

Joe Johnson is still their best overall player (by a long margin) but even he has fallen off this season.

About the only hope Brooklyn have of even competing for the playoffs is if they manage to retain the combo of Lopez/Johnson and Lopez somehow stays healthy. Those two guys combined are probably good enough to win them some games.  If either of those guys goes away (or Lopez misses major time with injurues) they are toast.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 10:38:41 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Completely agreed the Nets will never get you a top 5 pick because trying to lose will always lose better than trying to win.

I dunno.  Danny Ainge tried to pull it off and he managed to screw it up.  If he can't do it, who can? ;)

The Nets' main hope is that they are in NY. They don't need to draft their way out of mediocrity, they can sign FA's. But with the current contract situation, yeah, pretty dire.

I agree 100% with this sentiment.  But they won't be signing anyone this year, and next year, there are a lot of teams in desirable locations with money to spend.  If you really want to play in New York, the Knicks have Melo, whomever they draft this year and their own picks going forward.  Brooklyn has, well, um, cap space and no hope otherwise. 

I'm a pessimist and even I can't figure out a realistic way for this not to end well for us.

Mike

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Realistically, I think the Nets are doomed for a few years. Lopez will probably opt-out, b/c big men are in huge demand, and he showed enough while healthy this year that will likely give him a decent (extremely risky) contract from somebody. I also think Young will opt-out, b/c why would a guy want to play for a team that is a fringe playoff contender and that might be losing their best player? If the Nets pony up to keep Lopez (which they may not, if rumors are to be believed and their owner is trying to sell the team), and he stays healthy, yes, they might be a playoff team. Maybe. Lets be clear, though, he's always injured, and the teams that didn't make it this year are almost certainly going to be much-improved next year. I fully expect the Pacers, Bobcats, and Heat, for instance, to be better than the Nets. Depending on Melo's health, I also could see the Knicks improving a ton, esp with their high pick. Yes, the Nets played well down the stretch, but how often is Lopez that healthy? Also, I expect Williams and Johnson to continue their decline next year. Basically, the Nets are a fringe playoff team if they resign Lopez and he stays healthy. If not? They will be a lottery team, and possibly a bad (good for us) one at that.

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

LarBrd33 =  Nets are a potential 50 win team. 

LarBrd33 =  Celtics are a 30 win team.

All you need to know.

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
There's a comment in that article that's stunningly accurate: these Nets are the Knicks of the 2000s.

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
two of our 3 firsts will be lottery...
dallas will just miss playoffs
i am not sure we will reach playoffs next year
nets will not reach playoffs

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

LarBrd33 =  Nets are a potential 50 win team. 

LarBrd33 =  Celtics are a 30 win team.

All you need to know.
Both teams could look different next year, but as-is I stand by that.   Brooklyn would have beat Boston in the playoffs this year. 

Brooklyn finished the season on a 56 win pace.  Boston was great down the stretch too, but relied more on the element of surprise.    Brooklyn underachieved last year.  Boston overachieved.   Brooklyn has far more talent right now.