Author Topic: Player targets and rumors aside plan for roster and rotation  (Read 718 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
* edit wrote this earlier today and now I realise its a bit of a rambling rant. My point is I would like to see the Celtics mold their roster using SA and ATL as a blue print. Particularly when it comes to big men. I like the idea of the 3 guard rotation, 2 SFs and 3 bigs giving BS a set 8 man rotation. Then 9th man is a utility combo guard and 10 is a utility big man, leave the last 5 spots for developmental young players.

We all know that this summer is going to be a constant bombardment of rumors. Players who the Cs like, players who like BS, players who have friends of the team, players who are not happy with current team , etc etc. It gets crazy and 95% is merely speculation. Not to say I don't love it and eat up every minute of it. Our wives/Girl friends have trash magazines and terrible bravo TV shows and we all have sports rumors.

With that said looking past the names and solely at the roles what do reads view as an idea rotation and roles for the celtics? I personally think DA stands pat with the current 3 man backcourt. They are young, fit well together and most importantly are cheap long term contracts. So the focus is obviously the front court.

I would like to see the roster constructed with a set 8 man rotation in mind.

SF, I like the idea of a two player rotation with one guy being a 3/4 and the other a 2/3. This allows BS to play small ball and gives defensive versatility.  Between the two guys the Cs need the following roles met 1. Dynamic scorer (can create at end of shot clock), at least one + defender, both must at least be capable 3pt shooters.

ex 3/4 : T Harris, D Carrol, Aminu, Crowder, D Williams , Singler
     2/3:  Middleton,Danny Green, W Matthews, Shumpert, Belinelli, C Brewer, W Johnson   

PF/C, I like the idea of a 3 man rotation. This rotation is also added to by the 3/4 getting minutes in small ball sets. Looking at what worked for the Cs as well as SA and ATL (the teams that it appear BS runs a similar system too) I think versatility is a huge factor. ATL features a 3 man rotation of Horford, Milsap, and Antic. On offense Horford shoots as many long 2s as he does shots in the paint, Milsap shot 207 3s cm pared to 529 shots in the paint and 161 jump shots, and Antic actually took more 3s 166 then he did shots in the paint 78. The Spurs have a rotation of Duncan, Diaw, and Splitter/Baynes. Duncan shoots 2/3 in the paint 1/3 jumpers. Diaw shot 166 3s, Splitter/Baynes are primarily paint scorers . This shows the need for spacing. ATL takes it to an extreme with SA being more achievable. On defense neither team features elite athletic rin protectors Duncan tops the list with 2 blks per gam and Horford is second at 1.3. What both team do have are smart position defenders. For the Celtics I think the best course of action is to try to play 2 versatile 4/5 type players and have the 3rd big be more the traditional center. They very well may have 1-2 of these pieces in place as KO and Sully fill the 4/5 roles and Zeller maybe that center off the bench. However KO and Sully need to make major strides to reach their potential and I question the combo ability to grow further as defenders. KO particularly worries me as a rebounder and defender.

I do think this team will be very open to playing a starting unit without a true rim protector ala ATL and bringing this player off the bench

EX FA 4/5: Monroe, A Johnson
            5 : Hibbert, Lopez, Koufas, Biyombo, Ajinca, Aldrich,   

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:50:14 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet