Author Topic: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger and Olynyk  (Read 11141 times)

Re: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger and Olynyk
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
These guys have known flaws, but...

Olynyk would average about 15 and 7 with starter minutes.
Sully would be closer to to 18 and 9.

They both can pass the ball, and shoot the 3 (maybe), are under 25, and on rookie deals.

Are they going to land you a superstar on their own? Of course not. But they are assets, and not just in terms of "let's trade #16 and Sully for #12" type deals that seem to be popular around here.

I think Olynyk has show he's an awful rebounder.

Not sure why you think he would average 15 and 7 with starter minutes.
KO's per 36 numbers are 17 and 8. Sully's are 18 and 10.
However, Tyler Zeller's are 17 and 10 so I wouldnt take to much from those projections.

15 and 7 doesnt seem to wild.

7 rebounds is a pretty bad rate for a starting power forward
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
I'd rather keep Sully if we can, he seems like a gamer

Olynyk & #16 to Detroit for #8

Bradley, #33 & #45 to Denver for #7

With #7 & #8 it would be possible to snag two of (whoever's remaining): WCS, Hezonja, Winslow, Pozingis

Trade Wallace & #28 to Philly (salary dump)

Sign Tobias Harris, Danny Green

Resign Jerebko, Crowder, Datome

PG - Thomas, Pressey
PG/SG - Smart
SG/SF - Green, Turner, Hezonja, Young, Datome
SF/PF - Harris, Crowder, Jerebko
PF/C - Sully
C - Zeller, WCS

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Olynyk is really primed to break out in his third year, I think (the eternal optimist).

I hope we hold onto him because he is key to a really potent and fun offense and as I say, could break out this next year.  The potential is there and he's already a good player.

The biggest thing for me is also that he would be a great compliment to a top level big man.  He would feed a capable big man scorer, someone like Aldridge and Cousins, and also space the floor for them and kill opposing doubles.  So I hope we can hold onto him.  I'd much rather trade Sully.

If he didn't "break out" in years 1 and 2, why would he miraculously break out in year 3?

... you don't think players should improve through their first few years in the league?

What I am saying is I don't think we are going to see anything from Olynyk in year 3 that we haven't seen in years 1 and 2.

Marcus Smart has already shown in year 1 that he's a good defender and a decent point guard.

IMO, you can tell if a player has a good feel for the game in his first 2 years and Olynyk has shown he doesn't.

This is not based on anything and saying "IMO" doesn't excuse a lack of reasoning.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Be happy to trade either of these guys but only if we're getting serious assets for it (late lottery picks at least.) They're both decent cost controlled players so there's no point in just burning them for an anemic return.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Another reason why making the playoffs was SO crucial for us.

Even though we got swept, we were competitive in EVERY game and we got to showcase our guys.

These other teams showing interest saw our guys competing against CLE and are impressed.

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I won't be surprised if both get moved this summer.  Ainge is going to be looking for ways to upgrade and add more athleticism, talent, and size to the frontcourt, above all.

Plus, we saw this year that the Celts wouldn't be that much worse if their replacement for Sully and Olynyk is simply re-signing Bass and Jerebko and adding another young bargain center e.g. Biyombo or Ajinca.

Sully and Klynyk are the two most easily movable pieces aside from Smart and Zeller, who would be harder to replace.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd rather keep Sully if we can, he seems like a gamer
  He is also for the other team when he is playing defense as he is so bad at it.

I won't be surprised if both get moved this summer.  Ainge is going to be looking for ways to upgrade and add more athleticism, talent, and size to the frontcourt, above all.

Plus, we saw this year that the Celts wouldn't be that much worse if their replacement for Sully and Olynyk is simply re-signing Bass and Jerebko and adding another young bargain center e.g. Biyombo or Ajinca.

It is about time, we need to get more athletic.  I think KO will be the one we keep unless Sully knocks it out of the park with his getting into shape.  Ainge gambled that their skillsets could over come a lack of athletic ability, the jury is still out there...

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sully and ko need a chance. We need to get a legit center.

Aldridge would be a really sweet pickup.

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would rather keep Olynyk if I had to choose. Olynyk has shown flashes of being a really great shooter. Usually as players get older they become more consistent. If Olynyk can be more consistent finding his shot then I think he is a valuable floor spacer.

Sullinger doesn't fit the pace and space system as well as Olynyk. If we could combine Sullinger with our pick to move up and draft any of Johsnon, WCS, Hezonja or Turner I would make that move in a heartbeat.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
These guys have known flaws, but...

Olynyk would average about 15 and 7 with starter minutes.
Sully would be closer to to 18 and 9.

They both can pass the ball, and shoot the 3 (maybe), are under 25, and on rookie deals.

Are they going to land you a superstar on their own? Of course not. But they are assets, and not just in terms of "let's trade #16 and Sully for #12" type deals that seem to be popular around here.

I think Olynyk has show he's an awful rebounder.

Not sure why you think he would average 15 and 7 with starter minutes.

I'm not sure how there could be a more straightforward projection. He already averages 10.3 and 4.7 in 22 minutes. Just multiply by 1.5 for 33 minutes and you get 15+ and 7+.

I don't think he'll ever be a great rebounder, but by the numbers he's not that bad. His career reb% is higher than Brook Lopez and in line with David West. Granted it was higher as a rookie and lower this year, which is something to watch.

Now if you want to project actual IMPROVEMENT, how about these goals:

1) Regain his rookie rebounding rate
2) Get 15 shot attempts per game
3) Maintain same scoring efficiency
4) Play 32 mpg

What does that look like?

18.6 points
8.3 rebounds
1.8 3PT
1.5 STL
~3 assists

Now I don't know if he'll get that far, but 15 and 7 feels pretty fair given that upside.

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I will gladly trade either if I can get a lottery pick high enough to get Winslow or Stanley Johnson. Both players have much higher ceilings.

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2015, 06:51:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I will gladly trade either if I can get a lottery pick high enough to get Winslow or Stanley Johnson. Both players have much higher ceilings.

That's what I was thinking. ......I'd trade either for a pick high enough to take Winslow.  And maybe a late first in with Sully or KO too.

I got a hunch Winslow is going to be a very important player in the NBA .   

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 07:31:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
project actual IMPROVEMENT,
  Projections are just that, hopeful guesses that their will be improvement.  Trouble is, people don't always improve.

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25170829/report-celtics-likely-to-get-offers-for-jared-sullinger-kelly-olynyk?FTAG=YHF8a562c3

So for those too lazy to click on the link, it's a very short article basically saying that "multiple league sources" believe that Sullinger and Olynyk will draw heavy trade interest this summer.  It also adds in there that reportedly Smart and Zeller are the two players least likely to be involved in any deals.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that Sullinger and Olynyk are the players most likely to be in a deal.  But the way this article is worded, they make it seem like teams would be calling Ainge, and not the other way around...which I find hard to believe.  I've always been under the impression that Danny would need to do the calling and convincing that these guys are worthy of being a centerpiece in a deal.  Unless maybe now they'll be packaged together?

Smart being untouchable I'm not shocked about, but Zeller?  I think it was established he's not a starter in this league, but assuming they can upgrade in the middle, they must still consider him an ideal back-up center, which I don't disagree with.  But to say he's not likely to be dealt?  My guess is that Stevens must be really be lobbying to Ainge to keep him around.

Where would such a rumor come from except the C's? And, why would they state that if it were the case? If anything they'd want to make it look like they value whomever they want to trade. (E.g., how they talked up Brandon Wright and Jameer Nelson before trading them mid-season.)

In this case, my guess would be they're hoping there's some interest in Zeller. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Danny is currently higher on KO than Brad is.

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The article it cites as its source makes things seem a lot different. 

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-are-covering-all-bases-during-rebuild

Basically says Zeller was a good surprise player and Sully and KO might interest other teams, the CBS took some liberties with its report IMO
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby