Author Topic: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger and Olynyk  (Read 11116 times)

Re: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger and Olynyk
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 04:44:40 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Those two have always been just a bit redundant for my taste. Not necessarily in terms of style of play but more their production. Both have had opportunities to stand out and neither has made a strong enough case for themselves.

I'd let the other team decide which they would rather have. Gun to my head I'd keep Olynyk but if he's the other team's target then sionara KO, be happy to keep Sullinger.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 06:11:12 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
what kind of offers are they getting for the big men like first round picks or what types of players
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I feel Zeller is a keeper because he is a cheap just below average Center. People forget Zeller can score in bunches against weak front lines. If he is a 5th option on a team then there is no issues. Unfortunately for C's all we have are 4th or worse option players. Zeller only gets traded for a All star. If not he is staying put.

if Zeller is your 5th option, then you have no offensive issues. Even if he was your 4th option, actually. However, you'll likely have a rebounding/interior defense issue.
If he could score and defend he would be above average. If he scored, defended and rebounded then he would be an all-star. For what he is, contract and age Zeller is doing okay. WCS or Ibaka  would be nice next to Zeller. Let's hope OKC decides to go Kanter and Adams as their big and puts Ibaka on the block. Or DA can package something to move up in the draft.

Why do you want Ibaka?  Hasn't he been hurt a lot, recently?
Pf who can defend rebound and shoot the mid jumper. If he was 100% healthy no chance Thunder would trade him. Health issues are why his stock is down. If the price is right I'd gamble on him. A 85% healthy Ibaka is still an elite big.

Defensively, sure, but not on the other end, imo.  I suppose that it's subjective in terms of what everyone wants out of their big guys, though, as well as everything else.  Me, I prefer post players.  If they can hit the outside shot, fine, but it should only be used if there is no other option, imo.  Otherwise, they should play on the block, so that's why I'm not interested in Ibaka.  How long has he been in the league now, and he still has no post game? *facepalm*
I think nowadays it's preferable for bigs to be able to space the floor than it is to having a post game.  It's more about getting out of the way for the point guards to get to the rim.  Ibaka's stock isn't down.  He is an absolutely perfect fit with Westbrook, and perfect fit with Isaiah Thomas for that matter.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 09:12:28 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I feel Zeller is a keeper because he is a cheap just below average Center. People forget Zeller can score in bunches against weak front lines. If he is a 5th option on a team then there is no issues. Unfortunately for C's all we have are 4th or worse option players. Zeller only gets traded for a All star. If not he is staying put.

if Zeller is your 5th option, then you have no offensive issues. Even if he was your 4th option, actually. However, you'll likely have a rebounding/interior defense issue.
If he could score and defend he would be above average. If he scored, defended and rebounded then he would be an all-star. For what he is, contract and age Zeller is doing okay. WCS or Ibaka  would be nice next to Zeller. Let's hope OKC decides to go Kanter and Adams as their big and puts Ibaka on the block. Or DA can package something to move up in the draft.

I know. I guess i just found your last statement a bit too strong: "trade Zeller only for an all-star". I don't think Zeller is a scrub, but he is replaceable and I would still be willing to include him in trades, even if it wasn't for an all-star.

- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
They possess a key skill that is being needed in today's game, they stretch the floor. There should be some interest in the two, especially because they're still very young and obviously have talent to be an NBA player.

Detroit would actually be a good fit for both. Houston is the same.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I know. I guess i just found your last statement a bit too strong: "trade Zeller only for an all-star". I don't think Zeller is a scrub, but he is replaceable and I would still be willing to include him in trades, even if it wasn't for an all-star.
It was very strong and I knew people are going to disagree with it so it's np. You are right that he is replaceable. Just not a lot of centers at his $ that could do what he does and still have room to grow right now. Also a lot of people want the center to rim protect and be a defensive anchor so they want Zeller shipped out for a pick if possible. I just see a lot of value with Zeller and think he gets over looked.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Well, upgrading our Bigs rotation should be a priority.  And I am referring to KO, Bass, Sully rotation.  Got to upgrade one or maybe two of those three guys.

Zeller as a backup is fine.

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am curious what the offers are going to be for both those guys. I personally would rather move Sullinger because I want us to run the four out offensive system that has been successful for us this season
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:09:44 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Olynyk is really primed to break out in his third year, I think (the eternal optimist).

I hope we hold onto him because he is key to a really potent and fun offense and as I say, could break out this next year.  The potential is there and he's already a good player.

The biggest thing for me is also that he would be a great compliment to a top level big man.  He would feed a capable big man scorer, someone like Aldridge and Cousins, and also space the floor for them and kill opposing doubles.  So I hope we can hold onto him.  I'd much rather trade Sully.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I ma curious what the offers are going to be for both those guys. I personally would rather move Sullinger because I want us to run the four out offensive system that has been successful for us this season
Curious as well. My first guess is unprotected future first from a playoff team that needs depth. Bucks, Hawks, Blazers, Hornets, Pelicans, Rockets are teams that will soon need depth. Second guess is some one ask for two or three guys from the roster and  gives up a lottery pick this year like Utah, Miami, Sacramento, OKC.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
All I can say is good riddance.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Olynyk is really primed to break out in his third year, I think (the eternal optimist).

I hope we hold onto him because he is key to a really potent and fun offense and as I say, could break out this next year.  The potential is there and he's already a good player.

The biggest thing for me is also that he would be a great compliment to a top level big man.  He would feed a capable big man scorer, someone like Aldridge and Cousins, and also space the floor for them and kill opposing doubles.  So I hope we can hold onto him.  I'd much rather trade Sully.

If he didn't "break out" in years 1 and 2, why would he miraculously break out in year 3?

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
These guys have known flaws, but...

Olynyk would average about 15 and 7 with starter minutes.
Sully would be closer to to 18 and 9.

They both can pass the ball, and shoot the 3 (maybe), are under 25, and on rookie deals.

Are they going to land you a superstar on their own? Of course not. But they are assets, and not just in terms of "let's trade #16 and Sully for #12" type deals that seem to be popular around here.

I think Olynyk has show he's an awful rebounder.

Not sure why you think he would average 15 and 7 with starter minutes.

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

If he didn't "break out" in years 1 and 2, why would he miraculously break out in year 3?

... you don't think players should improve through their first few years in the league?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

... you don't think players should improve through their first few years in the league?

What I am saying is I don't think we are going to see anything from Olynyk in year 3 that we haven't seen in years 1 and 2.

Marcus Smart has already shown in year 1 that he's a good defender and a decent point guard.

IMO, you can tell if a player has a good feel for the game in his first 2 years and Olynyk has shown he doesn't.