Author Topic: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger and Olynyk  (Read 11146 times)

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25170829/report-celtics-likely-to-get-offers-for-jared-sullinger-kelly-olynyk?FTAG=YHF8a562c3

So for those too lazy to click on the link, it's a very short article basically saying that "multiple league sources" believe that Sullinger and Olynyk will draw heavy trade interest this summer.  It also adds in there that reportedly Smart and Zeller are the two players least likely to be involved in any deals.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that Sullinger and Olynyk are the players most likely to be in a deal.  But the way this article is worded, they make it seem like teams would be calling Ainge, and not the other way around...which I find hard to believe.  I've always been under the impression that Danny would need to do the calling and convincing that these guys are worthy of being a centerpiece in a deal.  Unless maybe now they'll be packaged together?

Smart being untouchable I'm not shocked about, but Zeller?  I think it was established he's not a starter in this league, but assuming they can upgrade in the middle, they must still consider him an ideal back-up center, which I don't disagree with.  But to say he's not likely to be dealt?  My guess is that Stevens must be really be lobbying to Ainge to keep him around.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:40:32 AM by mahonedog88 »

Re: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger & Olynyk
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:35:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Young, cheap, skilled big men with upside.   While Sully and Olynyk have both been frustrating to watch in their own ways, they're absolutely the kind of players teams would be interested in.

...but that doesn't mean the offers will look anything like the kinds of deals that get thrown around here all the time. 

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Plenty of teams want young cost controlled players who can space the floor. Both fit the bill. Not sure what they'll offer for them though. I'm guessing team will low ball Ainge, which is why you see Ainge rarely trading away young players who have actually made it into our rotation.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Young, cheap, skilled big men with upside.   While Sully and Olynyk have both been frustrating to watch in their own ways, they're absolutely the kind of players teams would be interested in.

...but that doesn't mean the offers will look anything like the kinds of deals that get thrown around here all the time.

Sullinger I'll agree with you, you can see it with him that if he can get in shape and stop shooting so many 3s, his upside his huge.  Olynyk though I'm really starting to wonder about.  His rebounding ability (as stated by his own teammates) is garbage, his defense is iffy at best, and he seems a little soft.  Now granted, he was playing okay before that injury, and it took him quite awhile to find that rhythm again when he came back...but it's not like he was a name that came to mind as a reason for them starting to win more after the all-star break, not to mention he went AWOL in games 3 and 4 against the Cavs

Re: CBS Sports: Celtics likely to get offers for Sullinger and Olynyk
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 01:04:21 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
These guys have known flaws, but...

Olynyk would average about 15 and 7 with starter minutes.
Sully would be closer to to 18 and 9.

They both can pass the ball, and shoot the 3 (maybe), are under 25, and on rookie deals.

Are they going to land you a superstar on their own? Of course not. But they are assets, and not just in terms of "let's trade #16 and Sully for #12" type deals that seem to be popular around here.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 01:18:52 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I feel Zeller is a keeper because he is a cheap just below average Center. People forget Zeller can score in bunches against weak front lines. If he is a 5th option on a team then there is no issues. Unfortunately for C's all we have are 4th or worse option players. Zeller only gets traded for a All star. If not he is staying put.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:31:14 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Zeller is what he is.  He's great against teams the either don't defend well or aren't interested in defending on a particular night because he hustles constantly and can score.  He's below average defensively and he can't rebound - especially against upper tier front lines. 

At his current salary he's fine - they just need to pair him with a rim protector who can hopefully rebound.   And that guy's going to be on the floor when the team needs stops - not Zeller.

Boston and Zeller were a great match this season.  However his weaknesses really showed up vs the Cavs.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 01:33:42 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I feel Zeller is a keeper because he is a cheap just below average Center. People forget Zeller can score in bunches against weak front lines. If he is a 5th option on a team then there is no issues. Unfortunately for C's all we have are 4th or worse option players. Zeller only gets traded for a All star. If not he is staying put.

if Zeller is your 5th option, then you have no offensive issues. Even if he was your 4th option, actually. However, you'll likely have a rebounding/interior defense issue.

- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

if Zeller is your 5th option, then you have no offensive issues. Even if he was your 4th option, actually. However, you'll likely have a rebounding/interior defense issue.
If he could score and defend he would be above average. If he scored, defended and rebounded then he would be an all-star. For what he is, contract and age Zeller is doing okay. WCS or Ibaka  would be nice next to Zeller. Let's hope OKC decides to go Kanter and Adams as their big and puts Ibaka on the block. Or DA can package something to move up in the draft.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25170829/report-celtics-likely-to-get-offers-for-jared-sullinger-kelly-olynyk?FTAG=YHF8a562c3

So for those too lazy to click on the link, it's a very short article basically saying that "multiple league sources" believe that Sullinger and Olynyk will draw heavy trade interest this summer.  It also adds in there that reportedly Smart and Zeller are the two players least likely to be involved in any deals.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that Sullinger and Olynyk are the players most likely to be in a deal.  But the way this article is worded, they make it seem like teams would be calling Ainge, and not the other way around...which I find hard to believe.  I've always been under the impression that Danny would need to do the calling and convincing that these guys are worthy of being a centerpiece in a deal.  Unless maybe now they'll be packaged together?

Smart being untouchable I'm not shocked about, but Zeller?  I think it was established he's not a starter in this league, but assuming they can upgrade in the middle, they must still consider him an ideal back-up center, which I don't disagree with.  But to say he's not likely to be dealt?  My guess is that Stevens must be really be lobbying to Ainge to keep him around.

Why does that surprise you? Zarren said earlier this year that they get calls for those two all the time.

KO is a 7 footer with real PG skills. He can pass, drive and shoot. There's not a lot of those guys lying around. And he's only 23. He tries on defense at least, you can work on his consistency. Lots of room to grow into a Ryan Anderson-esque player. He's still got 2 years on a rookie deal. And Sullinger, for all his conditioning issues has proven NBA caliber talent and production. His ceiling is still a 18-20 pts, 9-11 rebound per night guy. If he gets in shape he could reach that. Even if he doesn't and it just doesn't get worse, he's proven and young.

If were gonna make a trade this summer, be it to move up in the draft or for a player, I suspect AB, Olynyk and Sullinger are probably the guys going out. I probably wouldn't move Smart for anyone that could possibly be traded, save maybe Cousins but I'd have to be convinced. Some of the picks will get packed in some way too I imagine. Lots of options, and that's a great thing. Getting the right guy in FA would be a coup. Zeller thing surprises me, but I kind of get it. He's the perfect back-up big, fits in with about any rotation, and he still has room to grow. Very efficient, makes smart plays. Just about any team can use a guy like him. He's not a team fit like Rondo or IT is. Gonna be an interesting summer.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 02:18:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not that this trade would make sense for them, and I sincerely doubt that they're this dumb, lol ;D, but I'd trade Sully and Nolynyk to Charlotte for Noah Vonleh, and perhaps PJ Hairston, in a heartbeat.  No picks, just a swap.  It's not that I hate Sullinger or anything (well, as a player, anyway), but his weight issues are just too much of a risk, long term, imo.  I know that it will never happen, but I can dream, haha ;D.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 02:20:14 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

If he could score and defend he would be above average. If he scored, defended and rebounded then he would be an all-star. For what he is, contract and age Zeller is doing okay. WCS or Ibaka  would be nice next to Zeller. Let's hope OKC decides to go Kanter and Adams as their big and puts Ibaka on the block. Or DA can package something to move up in the draft.

Why do you want Ibaka?  Hasn't he been hurt a lot, recently?

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 02:34:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Pf who can defend rebound and shoot the mid jumper. If he was 100% healthy no chance Thunder would trade him. Health issues are why his stock is down. If the price is right I'd gamble on him. A 85% healthy Ibaka is still an elite big.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 02:43:05 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Pf who can defend rebound and shoot the mid jumper. If he was 100% healthy no chance Thunder would trade him. Health issues are why his stock is down. If the price is right I'd gamble on him. A 85% healthy Ibaka is still an elite big.

Defensively, sure, but not on the other end, imo.  I suppose that it's subjective in terms of what everyone wants out of their big guys, though, as well as everything else.  Me, I prefer post players.  If they can hit the outside shot, fine, but it should only be used if there is no other option, imo.  Otherwise, they should play on the block, so that's why I'm not interested in Ibaka.  How long has he been in the league now, and he still has no post game? *facepalm*

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 02:51:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Defensively, sure, but not on the other end, imo.  I suppose that it's subjective in terms of what everyone wants out of their big guys, though, as well as everything else.  Me, I prefer post players.  If they can hit the outside shot, fine, but it should only be used if there is no other option, imo.  Otherwise, they should play on the block, so that's why I'm not interested in Ibaka.  How long has he been in the league now, and he still has no post game? *facepalm*

Well you can't have two guys down low. One big has to be further out for the other to work. Like Zeller or say a Cousins qith Ibaka works. What is ideal of course is Grizzly with Gasol and Z-Bo each working a high and low post because both have mid range and post. Still Z-Bo and Gasol get taken advantage of by quicker players. It's all a chess game.