Author Topic: Targets: Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Wesley Matthews, DAnny Green, Gerald Green  (Read 10861 times)

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Are u kidding? Danny green should be a top priority.  27, very good 3 pt  shooter. 

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
@Granath

Millsap is a much better defender and shooter and fits more naturally into BS system IMO.  I would trade Sully to move up in the draft to draft a better wing player after signing Millsap.  However, I agree with your other point as I also don't think he will sign here.

since when is Millsap a better shooter than aldridge?
Aldridge is one of the best midrange bigs in the league and even shot the 3 ball at 35 % this season, also a much better free throw shooter

One of the best stats for shooting percentage is eFG% which is the Effective Field Goal Percentage (it adjusts to FG% factoring in that a 3pointer is worth 1 more point than a 2).  Aldridge had a .479% this season while Millsap had a .518%, Aldridge has been shooting the 3 pointer much better this season but is a career .276% shooter from there in his career while Millsap is a career .340% shooter from beyond the arc.  Aldridge is the better Free Throw shooter, I agree with you there.

Millsap with his passing, defense, and ability to spread the floor would be the better fit IMO.  I agree with Granath though, its all academic we are not getting either of those players.

The problem with Millsap is his tweener status.  Do you play him at SF or PF?  If you put him at PF you get the same problem as Bass - too small to defender bigger PFs and not enough rebounding.

If you put him at SF then that's a much better scenario (especially since we so desperately need a starting calibre SF) but then I wonder...is he a good enough shooter to strive at the DF spot?  Maybe.  I know that he's an excellent midrange shooter (close to Bass' level) and that he's a decent three point shooter.  He'd give you a nice defensive option when going against guys like Lebron.  I still struggle to see how this team scores enough points in crunch time when you have a guy like Millsap as your best player though.

Aldridge's game is very impressive, but a key factor is size.  Aldridge is a big guy - he's got great height and length.  Teams like Cleveleand (who lack size) would have no trouble defending a PF like Millsap, but LMA makes for a far more difficult matchup. Even Boston (with a guy like Bass) could do a decent job defending Millsap, but again LMA would tear us apart.  If you have a guy with Aldridge's size and skill, then the only opposing teams that can slow a guy like that down would be teams like the Clippers (Jordan), Grizzlies (Gasol), Bulls (Gasol/Noah), Spurs (Duncan), etc. 

Skilled size is a difference maker in this league - just ask last seasons Miami Heat how well they handled Mr Timmy.

Millsap doesn't have tweener status.  He's obviously a power forward.  He has always been a power forward.  His defense is severely underrated by superficial people who can't see beyond his height.  Only a really idiotic coach would try to turn him into a full-time small forward. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Millsap has good size for a PF, especially in a league where more and more SFs are spending time there (e.g. Pierce). If anything he can play a little center.

He has never played SF and never will. I'm not sure where that's coming from, and it would make no sense to ask him to guard wing players on a nightly basis as he pushes 30.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Are u kidding? Danny green should be a top priority.  27, very good 3 pt  shooter.

This. He would easily fit in too and would provide more defense to an already solid defensive Guard rotation.

There was a thread about overpaying and how we need to do it, I would do it to Danny Green.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bismack?

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Millsap has good size for a PF, especially in a league where more and more SFs are spending time there (e.g. Pierce). If anything he can play a little center.

He has never played SF and never will. I'm not sure where that's coming from, and it would make no sense to ask him to guard wing players on a nightly basis as he pushes 30.

As a side note:

Millsap played some SF in Utah in a big lineup alongside Favors (PF) and Big Al (C). It was a trial to try and free up some more minutes for Favors (to help him develop) while keeping the two veteran bigs (Millsap, Big Al). Millsap actually played reasonably well there and this was before he had added that three point shot to his arsenal. Favors did not play well enough though.

Millsap can play some minutes at SF. He has done it before and I think he'd be even better at it now with his improved jump-shot. Paul Millsap is an undersized quick PF much like Thaddeus Young. A better and more skilled version of Thaddeus Young. He is best position is at PF but he can play some SF also.

I wouldn't play Millsap at center. I don't think he can give you enough shot-blocking around the basket.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Aldridge's game is very impressive, but a key factor is size.  Aldridge is a big guy - he's got great height and length.  Teams like Cleveleand (who lack size) would have no trouble defending a PF like Millsap
Millsap was one of -- if not the -- biggest reasons why Cleveland have struggled to defend Atlanta in their regular season matchups. It was Millsap's quickness and movement all over the floor that caused a slow-footed Kevin Love so many problems and led to a large number of defensive breakdowns.

Love cannot guard Millsap. Millsap is too quick for him.

Those defensive breakdowns led not just to scoring opportunities for Millsap for also for his teammates because Millsap was dragging Cleveland's team defense out of place so they couldn't make proper defensive rotations to cover other Hawks players.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I might consider Matthews, but Achilles injuries are tough.

Perfect opportunity to buy low on a guy.  He is young enough to recover most of his ability.  I tore my achilles - you never fully recover it is impossible.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

As a side note:

Millsap played some SF in Utah in a big lineup alongside Favors (PF) and Big Al (C). It was a trial to try and free up some more minutes for Favors (to help him develop) while keeping the two veteran bigs (Millsap, Big Al). Millsap actually played reasonably well there and this was before he had added that three point shot to his arsenal. Favors did not play well enough though.

Millsap can play some minutes at SF. He has done it before and I think he'd be even better at it now with his improved jump-shot. Paul Millsap is an undersized quick PF much like Thaddeus Young. A better and more skilled version of Thaddeus Young. He is best position is at PF but he can play some SF also.

I wouldn't play Millsap at center. I don't think he can give you enough shot-blocking around the basket.

You're right - good call. It was a very small number of minutes, though, and a couple of years ago. I don't think he could play there except in a small number of situations, and age is not on his side if he's going to be guarding younger wings. Definitely not full-time IMO.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The fascination with Al Jefferson continues to escape me. Too old, too injury prone, cannot guard a chair.

NO interest whatsoever in seeing him in a Celtic uniform again.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline JCeltic777

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
No on Jefferson, doesnt play defense. I would rather sign Tyson Chandler.However, yes please on everyone else. In fact, I wouldnt mind paying 10 mill a piece for a combination of 2 between matthews, gerald green and danny green. The wesley matthews injury scares me though.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Danny Green interests me quite a bit.  He is an interesting pick who can fit our system and do a lot of things coming from the spurs.  All these guys really.  AL j, Millsap, Matthews and Green would all be solid additions.  Particularly Millsap and Danny Green I feel.  If the Celtics can do a big makeover even better.