Author Topic: We made it to Shaqtin a fool  (Read 6277 times)

Re: We made it to Shaqtin a fool
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have repeatedly hammered LeBron on this blog, but I think he has good basketball IQ.  I think several people have made good arguments arguing this very fact.   Mental toughness and Basketball IQ are two different things.

I wonder if you think football IQ and IQ are correlated?  They use an test called the Wonderlic.   Tom Brady has done pretty well, he got a 33 out of 50 on that test.  A 50 is perfect score and he got a 33.

Bradshaw had a 15
Marino a 15.
Jim Kelly a 15

http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2011/03/qb-wonderlic-scores.html

They did pretty well and guess what they did horrible on this test. 

This relates to the same kind of stuff that basketball IQ relates too.  Reading the defense, passing the correct spot, deciding when to throw or not throw and reacting on the fly.  This pretty much shoots holes in the high IQ thing you threw out there.

That being said, I don't expect you to agree, as several others have made solid arguments which have not changed your mind.

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I give LeBron an 8/10 for BBIQ. Very good but not great.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I give LeBron an 8/10 for BBIQ. Very good but not great.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 09:36:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Relatedly, I'd be interested to know which player CB would posit as having the greatest BBIQ of all time

(and why you picked Larry Bird)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Relatedly, I'd be interested to know which player CB would posit as having the greatest BBIQ of all time.

Bill Russell

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Way to ruin it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Relatedly, I'd be interested to know which player CB would posit as having the greatest BBIQ of all time.

Bill Russell
That was the most beautiful sentence I've read in years.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
LeBron is many things but he does not lack basketball IQ or acumen.

So many people talk about Lebron's supposedly super high Basketball IQ, but to be honest I've never seen it.

I look at guys like Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett and I see a bunch of guys who constantly seem to defeat opponents with their minds - by always being one step ahead, or by making those little moves to throw their defenders /offensive assignments off.

With Lebron I've just never seen that.  Every time I've watched him play he is beating guys with his size, strength and athleticism - just his pure physical dominance.  I don't think I have ever seen Lebron make a play on either end of the floor that left me thinking "[dang], that was a smart play".
Did you watch his early career? The main criticism of Lebron in his early career was that he didn't fully leverage his size, strength, and athleticism and too often made what would be the best play for a lesser player, but not the best play for someone so gifted.

It is like you are penalizing him for having the option of imposing his will, to the point of forgetting that he played too much like a PG early in his career instead of forcing the issue when needed.

The dude has an elite BBIQ. Had it from day one in the league. He became the best player in the league because he paired BB genius with a ridiculous physique.
I don’t understand the argument, of course LeBron has high bball IQ, he said so himself:
"“I’m coachable,” James said. “I’m very coachable, so it never really mattered to me. I don’t go into it saying I know it all. Every coach and every guy has his own system, has what he believes in. So, I’m a very coachable guy. I believe I can help as well. I have a high basketball IQ, as well, I think. But as far as picking a team or going somewhere because of a coach, it’s never been my thing.”"