11 (19.6%)
Greg Monroe
21 (37.5%)
Khris Middleton
9 (16.1%)
None of the above
15 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: If You Can Only Max One: Greg Monroe, Tobias Harris, or Khris Middleton?  (Read 7751 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Can someone tell me what the dollar amount difference would be among max deals for the 3 guys listed here? I know Harris and Middleton are both restricted from the same year so I assume their max would be the same, but Monroe is an unrestricted with one more year of service so I assume it would be a bigger contract.
Max salary for players of:

0-6 years of experience = 25% of cap
7-9 years in the league = 30% cap
10+ years = 35% of the cap

All three are below 6 years so they are all the same price.
Thank you.

So if the cap is 66.2 like it has been projected their max contracts would start at $16.5 MM and would increase by 15% every year?

They use a slightly different (lower) number than the cap number. A different percentage of BRI.

$15.8 million is the figure I have seen recently.

I think the max they can increase salary each year is by 7.5%. I get confused on next part. I think it is 7.5% of first year salary that the salary increases each year. So add on $1.19 million to get 2nd year salary, another $1.19 million the year after and so on. A fixed number.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

I'm not opposed to any of these guys, but I don't necessarily want to spend the max for them. But all 3 have their upsides.

Of the three, I like the way Harris fits on the Celtics. He has his issues defensively but the Celtics really, really need a 3 - Crowder and Turner aren't long-term starters - and Harris fits nicely. He's good offensively and can physically abuse smaller SFs. Bradley and Smart can help pick up any defensive slack if he's over matched against a very quick SF (which is the kind of player who can give him trouble). Plus, I think he'd be the cheapest of the 3 and that's always a plus.

Middleton could also work with the Celtics. His ability to lock down the SF and the SG spots would make the Cs defense even more potent. He's not a 3 point threat (not really), but he can score enough that you have to respect him. I'd rather pair him with a scoring SG. Note that last year he spent a lot of his time at PF and I don't want him there. I want him at SF. So you evaluate him at that position - can he play it and play it well? Yeah, but I'm not sure he's the guy we need there.

Monroe. Oh, Greg Monroe. He'll likely be the most expensive and the riskiest of the 3 choices. He's going to get the max. The question is can he earn it. He's ponderous down the floor with exceptionally limited range and mobility. But he can clog up the middle. Here's my problem with Monroe - his stats EVER SINCE HE CAME INTO THE LEAGUE are basically flat. There's no growth in his game. He was a 16/10 player his 2nd year. He's a 16/10 player now after his 5th year. You're getting him hoping he'll be a 20/10 player and adequate on defense but I don't think there's any logical reason to think he will be. I don't really like the pairing with him and Sully either - it'll take 15 of the 24 seconds of the shot clock for these two to lumber down the court.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Can someone tell me what the dollar amount difference would be among max deals for the 3 guys listed here? I know Harris and Middleton are both restricted from the same year so I assume their max would be the same, but Monroe is an unrestricted with one more year of service so I assume it would be a bigger contract.

Thank you.

So if the cap is 66.2 like it has been projected their max contracts would start at $16.5 MM and would increase by 15% every year?

They use a slightly different (lower) number than the cap number. A different percentage of BRI.

I think the max they can increase salary each year is by 7.5%. I get confused on next part. I think it is 7.5% of first year salary that the salary increases each year. So add on $1.19 million to get 2nd year salary, another $1.19 million the year after and so on. A fixed number.

If a max contract starts at $16.5m, the annual raise would be 4.5% of $16.5m.  7.5% is the increase allowed for signing your own (Bird or early Bird) free agents.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Thank you.

If a max contract starts at $16.5m, the annual raise would be 4.5% of $16.5m.  7.5% is the increase allowed for signing your own (Bird or early Bird) free agents.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
By far, Greg Monroe

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think Khris Middleton and Tobias Harris would fit well together. I would give both the max if we could clear a little more cap space. I'm not as big of a fan of Greg Monroe. He would need to be paired with someone like Ibaka.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Monroe. He has his limitations, but he is becoming criminally underrated.

Perception and reality don't always align. Monroe doesn't block a lot of shots, or throw down monster dunks, but he's a really good center in this league. A guy who consistently gives you 16-10, can dish out 3+ assists when he's involved in the offense, and is still only 24 years old. His defense is above average when he plays the 5, albeit not flashy.

I guess he's just too boring or something. Here's a comp between two 24 year-olds:

23 pts/ 13 reb/ 3 ast/ 2.5 blk (50% / 62%) per 40
21 pts/ 13 reb/ 3 ast/ 0.8 blk (50% / 75%) per 40

One of them is Tim Duncan.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Perception and reality don't always align. Monroe doesn't block a lot of shots, or throw down monster dunks, but he's a really good center in this league. A guy who consistently gives you 16-10, can dish out 3+ assists when he's involved in the offense, and is still only 24 years old. His defense is above average when he plays the 5, albeit not flashy.

I guess he's just too boring or something. Here's a comp between two 24 year-olds:

This might be one of the worst comparisons ever done on this site.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

This might be one of the worst comparisons ever done on this site.

Sure, as long as you selectively read it as me saying they are equal. I assumed it was obvious within context that I'm not. My point is that people are focusing an awful lot on his weaknesses, to the point where we're losing sight of how good his strengths are.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I was with you until you called Monroe an above-average defensive center. I certainly haven't observed that side of his game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
I would cede to "average", but IMO he's not a liability in large part due to his size.

I'd more or less agree with this (faint) praise:

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/1/30/7913159/pistons-news-roundup-greg-monroe-defense-trade-rumors

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Monroe, easily. It's hard to find competent big men.

- LilRip

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
None of those guys are max players, imo, so I wouldn't offer one to any of them.  Don't get me wrong, I like Monroe and can see why people like Harris and Kate Middleton ;) ;D, but I just don't believe that they're max players. 

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
No rfa because we will prob have to throw in pick