11 (19.6%)
Greg Monroe
21 (37.5%)
Khris Middleton
9 (16.1%)
None of the above
15 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: If You Can Only Max One: Greg Monroe, Tobias Harris, or Khris Middleton?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Judging from Ainge's comments yesterday, I think these are guys who will be getting a call early on in FA.

In assuming the big names will not be an option, who would you rather max? None is an acceptable option.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The big guy.  NBA always pays for size

The others are not max players.  Do not overpay.

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Middleton. I would pay for a defensive big, but not Monroe. I'd rather have a 3-and-D guy.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
(1) Monroe

(2) Harris

(3) Middleton

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Middleton. I would pay for a defensive big, but not Monroe. I'd rather have a 3-and-D guy.

A guy described as a "3-and-D guy" should never be in the discussion for max money. 

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Harris. We need a dynamic scorer/SF.

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum

A guy described as a "3-and-D guy" should never be in the discussion for max money.
IMO it does when the guy is 23, shoots 40% and can defend 3 positions.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
None are worth Max to me ....especially Monroe.

I like Middleton for a AB replacement

I like Harris for a Bass. Replacement upgrade

If you sign Monore .....he pushes out or conflicts with the true center the Celtics need.  ......it will be the same no matter where he goes .  He is a 7/8 size NBA center .....which is alright ..IF he would bring the intensity to make up for it .   Don"to like his motor .

I'd take Drummond thought or Max .....he is stuck with a awful coach and bad team.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

IMO it does when the guy is 23, shoots 40% and can defend 3 positions.

Doesn't mean he should be a max guy. 

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
Doesn't mean he should be a max guy.
Well first of all, I definitely would pay him more than the other 2.

I think it'd be a bit of a reach to max him out (not sure what the # is but I think it's 15mil this year), but he was already a key contributor to a playoff team and he has the potential to get better and be more than a 3 and D guy, so I'd like that deal personally. It obviously depends what else is out there.
I'm forum!

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Monroe's coach on his defense

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/01/23/pistons-monroe-actually-good-defender-says-van-gundy/22253271/

"I think Greg's actually pretty good defensively," Van Gundy said. "I've thought that all year.

"He's a very good low post defender, in my opinion. And he's a smart defender. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes."

Oftentimes, Van Gundy will switch Monroe onto opposing centers when Drummond is having trouble defending on the ball, and Monroe has shown the ability to disrupt rhythm.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My wish list goes

Harris

Middleton

Monroe

But I could conceivable be happy with any of the 3. The biggest thing is what DAs moves would be after their acquisition. The front court roster will need to be adjusted based which member of this list is signed.

example

Sign Harris,

He would require the least overall front court change to be effective. I would think that Crowder becomes less of a priority to over pay for as Harris can play the small ball 4. Being an infiror defender I would think Turner would have to be moved and if not Crowder another defensive minded SF (3-D guy) would need to be brought in as his backup. The Bigs could stay Sully, Zeller and KO but eventually a defensive presence must be added.

Sign Middleton,

He may take a J Butler like step up as an offensive option but I tend to think he will be a similar high end role player to AB all be it 6'8. With out a offensive jump the Cs will need to address scoring at the PF and C positions. A motivated and healthy Sully will help but over all Middleton, Sully and Zeller will lack the scoring punch needed from the front court.

Sign Monroe,

This signing would have to be followed by two of the following being traded (KO, Sully, and Zeller. I could actually see a starting combo of Sully and Monroe really excelling on offense but they will need a defensive 3rd big and a + defender at SF as they will struggle defensivly. Though its not going to happen a Middleton, Sully and Monroe front court with Biyombo and Crowder on the bench may be the best pairing of talent.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
None are worth Max to me ....especially Monroe.

I like Middleton for a AB replacement

I like Harris for a Bass. Replacement upgrade

Yup. Except if I had to choose for value I'd probably take Monroe. I voted Harris out of need but I feel Monroe will get paid more but value wise, it will be better. Unless the Knicks are dumb enough to give him $100 mil  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think before people start poo-pooing the idea of giving any one of these players "the max", people need to understand exactly what it mean to give a player such a contract.

First, not all max contracts are the same.  The players mentioned (Monroe, Middleton & Harris) are all eligible for a max contract that is (approximately) 25% of the salary cap.  Player with more years of experience are entitled to larger percentages, either 30% or 35%.  For this upcoming summer a max contract for these players is probably going to be around $16m per.

Second, while I don't necessarily think any of these players are worth $16m per, you have to take into account the salary cap is set to drastically increase the following summer. Early predictions have the cap jumping from an estimated $67m in 2015-16 to $90m in 2016-17.  In other words, a $16m contract would now only be worth roughly 17% of the salary cap.  A new "max" contract for similarly experienced players would now be approximately $22m.  That $16m contract all of a sudden starts to look like a real bargain.

The bottom line is, contracts signed this summer are going to pale in comparison to what is going to be offered in the following seasons.  I don't think it would at all be unreasonable to any one of these players what would amount to roughly $11m per in today's money.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Honestly I would be happy if we signed any of these guys but I think center is the biggest priority for this team.

All 3 are young and have room for growth that they could make even a max contract seem like a value play in a couple years.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19