Author Topic: What about Devin Booker with the 16th pick?  (Read 11661 times)

Re: What about Devin Booker with the 16th pick?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A name to add to your list of possiblities for the 16th pick: Bobby Portis.  Great build for an NBA power forward at 6-11, 240 and he's got a lot of game, both offensively and defensively.  He should be available right around the time the Celtics pick, and I think he has the talent and the drive to be an excellent NBA player. 

Idea: draft Portis and use our current overweight injury prone starting PF (Sully) as trade bait or to upgrade that 29th first round pick.

no Portis. We have gone over this on the Portis thread. The guy has little lift, average wingspan and narrow shoulders.   he is a very good College player but won't have an easy time against NBA players.  Could be a decent guy off the bench though

I would like to find a gem at 16
That is your opinion not everyones. The narrow shoulders critique is silly his frame has weight already at 240-ish so it shouldn't be a concern. Also he has pretty good lift on some nice highlights. His wingspan and standing reach is more than Zeller's. At PF Portis has good measurables.

so how come he got rocked by the Kentucky trees if he is as good as you say he is? 240 pounds or not, he got pushed around pretty easily
4 fresh guys are going to wear down most players as they did. How many bigs did good against that front? Portis won SEC player of the year not Towns or WCS so what does that say about the Wildcats vs Portis?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:28:50 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
James Young is physically too small to be a factor right now, and his frame doesn't suggest he's going to become the next Canelo Alvarez of his weight class. I'm not sold on hiim, nor Booker.

What if we focus on pretty high-talent-high character guys, such as D. Green? With our selections where they are at, I would be very happy to look for someone with upside enough to make an immediate impact as we start ratecheting up this rebuild.

Young is too small? You lost me on this one
i believe he was referring to weight, not height for young.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 01:42:09 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
We already have one young raw defensively-challenged prospect who can shoot but can't do much else - James Young. Booker is a better shooter and might have better feel for the game, but Young has far better tools, especially length.

I doubt he'll be BPA at 16.

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We already have one young raw defensively-challenged prospect who can shoot but can't do much else - James Young. Booker is a better shooter and might have better feel for the game, but Young has far better tools, especially length.

Booker is a better shooter, has better basketball iq. Young has more potential as a scorer. Both have a lot of room to grow as they are so young.

Booker could certainly be BPA and with his intelligence and 3 pt shooting I think he would fit into Brad's system

when I say that I mean that whatever new system Brad builds based on our personel next season(or when Booker arrives on the scene) will be able to incorporate Booker because intelligent guys who can move well off the ball and shoot lights out are very valuable in today's NBA

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
With the 16, 28, 33, and 45 draft picks, I think it would be great if the Celtics came away with four players from this list:

Lyles
Turner
Booker
Anderson
Jefferson
McCulloch
Upshaw
Dakari Johnson
I would add Cliff Alexander and Aleksander V. from the Greek League.

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Booker is a better shooter, has better basketball iq. Young has more potential as a scorer. Both have a lot of room to grow as they are so young.

Booker could certainly be BPA and with his intelligence and 3 pt shooting I think he would fit into Brad's system

when I say that I mean that whatever new system Brad builds based on our personel next season(or when Booker arrives on the scene) will be able to incorporate Booker because intelligent guys who can move well off the ball and shoot lights out are very valuable in today's NBA
I think James Young is the better shooter. I mean dam, he shot from NBA range in the dleague and tore it up.

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I like Booker, he looks like a better shooter and decision maker than James "Still Too" Young.

A steal at #16 but I'm hoping we draft a big man.

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I think James Young is the better shooter. I mean dam, he shot from NBA range in the dleague and tore it up.
D-League defense doesn't really exist from what I saw. Young at Kentucky shot 35% from 3 and 26% in the NBA (wouldn't take much from that) and 44% in the D league(nor would I take much from this).

Booker shot 41% at Kentucky

I think both have brilliant looking jump-shots but I think Booker is the better shooter today.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

D-League defense doesn't really exist from what I saw. Young at Kentucky shot 35% from 3 and 26% in the NBA (wouldn't take much from that) and 44% in the D league(nor would I take much from this).

I think both have brilliant looking jump-shots but I think Booker is the better shooter today.

Eh... Booker came off the bench, and Young started while placing 2nd in the most 3pt made in franchise history.

If Booker is the BPA, you take him, but if hes the only one left, I'm Ainge trying to make some calls to move up. No offense, but Booker doesn't have half the ceiling as Klay.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Eh... Booker came off the bench, and Young started while placing 2nd in the most 3pt made in franchise history.
I didnt realize the volume was so different between the 2. Obviously Young carried a lot of the scoring load while Booker was more of a role-player. Ive gone back through some James Young highlights and a lot of his 3s were made either from NBA range, with a hand in his face, or both.

I dont think I was giving Young enough credit.

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I didnt realize the volume was so different between the 2. Obviously Young carried a lot of the scoring load while Booker was more of a role-player. Ive gone back through some James Young highlights and a lot of his 3s were made either from NBA range, with a hand in his face, or both.

I dont think I was giving Young enough credit.

Well I do agree that Booker is a fantastic shooter, I just don't think there is that much room for him to grow. Who knows? The only thing I'm concerned is about us trying to find some big men to protect the rim, and more consistent shooters. If we fill the need with BPA, and Booker is there at 16, why not draft him?

Although, while I believe with enough training and time spent in the gym, Young could definitely be a great scorer in the future. His stroke along with Booker is just too smooth. I'm also worried about him hop jumping when shooting, since he sticks his legs out, and there could be a chance of him injuring it coming down or being fouled by a contesting player.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
updated measurements has Booker at 6'4.5" w/out shoes and a 6'8.5" wingspan which is a 2 inch improvement from his last measured wingspan

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
I made a point to not watch Kentucky this year outside of the NCAAs so Im going pretty much solely off of highlights and scouting reports (namely DraftExpress because they tend to be too negative so if you love a guy after their report then you probably love him)

some lines from the report that I love to hear:

He has gorgeous shooting mechanics, a quick, compact and repeatable motion complete with an effortless release and textbook follow-through. His size, high release point and ability to create separation off the dribble makes him a very capable off the dribble shooter. He has outstanding footwork and balance, allowing him to be more than just a spot-up floor-spacer as someone who makes shots running off screens, attacking closeouts, and punishing defenders for going underneath on the pick and roll. He already shows range out to the NBA 3-point line, and hit 41% of his shots beyond the arc on a very high volume of attempts per-minute.

Booker is a very intelligent prospect...He moves off the ball well and passes the ball unselfishly, often making the extra pass along the perimeter and cutting smartly as the defense rotates...He doesn't take bad shots, and rarely turns the ball over

Defensively, Booker's strong frame and competitive nature means he is unlikely to emerge as a liability on this end of the floor. He fights over screens, and shows excellent technique and fundamentals, rarely getting pushed around

he also comes with very little risk, as it will be very very surprising if he doesn't end up developing into at least a solid NBA player. At age 18, as the youngest player who will hear his name called on draft night

Most of the criticism was based on his average athleticism and 6'6" wingspan

...his lack of length and reach, combined with his average lateral quickness, does raise some concerns...The number of players in the NBA who aren't point guards and possess a wingspan shorter than 6-6 and a standing reach under 8-4 is fairly small: J.J. Redick, O.J. Mayo, Kirk Hinrich, Marcus Thornton, Jody Meeks, Gary Harris, Randy Foye.

This was based on his prior measurements. His updated reach is 8'6.5" and his wingspan is 6,6.5"

And its not like he is an awful athlete

He's a fluid athlete who moves well and has decent quickness

I wouldnt be mad if we got him at 16.

Now I have 12 guys Id like to have available at 16. I just need to find 4 more and draft night will be less stressfull

Although I highly doubt we make selection 16