Author Topic: Prospects - Standing Pat or Trading Up  (Read 4417 times)

Re: Prospects - Standing Pat or Trading Up
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'd like to see them trade for the Knicks pick....I think they need some picks to work with over the next couple of years and we have enough to work with them.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Totally depends on who we're moving up for. Ainge has had a tendency to grab highly rated guys who fall down the board for reasons that can be overcome (See: Gerald Green, Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, James Young). If one of the top 6 guys (Towns, Okafor, Muiday, Russell, Prozingas, Winslow) falls to 8 or below I think he'll try to trade up for then regardless of need. But if we're moving up for not one of those guys, it has to be the right for for us. I personally think he'll trade up if it means we can get Johnson or Cauley-Stein because they fit our needs well. Probably give up a little less for WCS.

Ainge is one of the best GMs in the league. He won't trade up just to trade up if he doesn't like the guys available. He won't trade Wallace's contract with a pick to clear cap room unless he really believes they're going to sign a major free agent or two, and he won't trade Sullinger, Olynyk, AB or anyone else CBers don't like for nothing just to get them off the team. If we don't do anything this summer, I'll trust that Ainge felt it wasn't worth what we'd have to give up. That's the benefit of having one of the best front offices in sports

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It depends if you are moving players or future picks to move up. If it's Sully and 16 for #10, or AB and 16 for #12  something like that then you have to consider it depending on who is there. If it is 16 and a Brooklyn pick for 9-14 range than you don't consider it.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Trade up for Oubre. Then take the best center available with the leftover second round pick, even at 45 there are some guys that could end up being good.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It depends if you are moving players or future picks to move up. If it's Sully and 16 for #10, or AB and 16 for #12  something like that then you have to consider it depending on who is there. If it is 16 and a Brooklyn pick for 9-14 range than you don't consider it.

was there a rumor that we could trade bradley straight up for the 12th pick potentially? Or did I imagine that..

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Trade up for Oubre. Then take the best center available with the leftover second round pick, even at 45 there are some guys that could end up being good.

This is a good play. Oubre is exactly the type of gamble you want to take when youre loaded up with picks.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
It'd be pretty interesting if we could steal Porzingis. It would basically take the Kings passing-so what do we thiiiink....
Stauskas?- Detroit picking Hezonja over him, and Charlotte saying we cant take the big gangly 4/5 three years in a row.

Actually Detroit really might not be the worst idea of a trade partner, sign and trade Bass and throw in a future 1st or early second on top of our pick.

Stan Van continues compiling assets for his long stay in Detroit and picks up one of his old protégés. We are closer to complete and simply need better talent.
just to add on to your Detroit thought -- not that I think Detroit would trade #8 but if we could talk them into a S&T of Bass and #16 for #8, I'd be all for it.  Bass would be a much better fit next to Drummond and can defend either forward position.   might have to take a bad contract off their hands to do it but that would get us into where WCS or Stanley Johnson should be available.

Good point on the bad contract as for who that'd be well... Brandon Jennings?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o3wmut2 + Celtics 1st and early 2nd for the Detroit 8th pick.

They are about to max out Reggie Jackson and could take someone like Jerian Grant with our pick to replace Jennings.  As for our end maybe Stevens could use what he learned with Jordan Crawford and turn Jennings into a legitimate scoring compliment next to Smart. Plus 8th pick, so Stanley Johnson or Porzingis  or the like.

I like this idea but I'm not sure Jennings is a negative-value asset that they'll just throw in.  He played pretty well after Josh Smith got hurt and they may want to keep him around on an expiring deal.  His stats weren't much different than jacksons and he's (somehow) the same age.  If they'll do it I'm all for it but it might require both firsts.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Myles Turner is the only one that makes sense to trade up for. Firstly because he is BPA closest to our ick. Secondly it may not break the bank to get him...ie trade Avery or someone else for a pick 9-12.

Also there is talent throughout the draft if you can find it. Id rather trade a player/s for a pick than our picks. We can stash in Europe or draft Myles Turner Robert Upshaw etc.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:05:50 PM by Future Celtics Owner »

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Also remember there are plenty of small forwards in next years draft.