Author Topic: Prospects - Standing Pat or Trading Up  (Read 4434 times)

Prospects - Standing Pat or Trading Up
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
At the beginning of the year, with low expectations of the C's and early reads on draft prospects before a lot of coverage, (besides KAT/Oak/EM) I hoped for Willie CS, Stanley J, Winslow or even DeAngelo Russell.  Now with a low pick and all my guys on the rise, it's time to re-evaluate.

Pick 16 Guys I Like

Bobby Portis
Trey Lyles
Tyus Jones
Sam Dekker

Pick 16 Guys I Think I Like

Jakob Poeltl (never saw him, alarmed by poor ft% and honestly, lack of white rim protectors)
Jerian Grant (didn't see him play)
Rondae Hollis Jefferson (like him, #16 is too high but not sure he's there at 27/28)
RJ Hunter (ditto for RJ)

Trade Up Targets in Top 10 / On Fringe

WCS
Stanley Johnson
Porzingis

I would probably trade both first rounders and Sully / Oly, maybe even #16 + Bradley (since we're guard heavy and he's a good asset), for the right trade up target, and I didn't list Russell or Winslow etc because they look out of reach, but I'd love to get most any of that next tier.

I'd prefer to move up, but Lyles/Portis/Tyus seem ok. CBlog, in a vacuum, would you rather trade up or stand pat, and who would you be happy with getting based on your decision? 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:52:00 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Prospects - Standing Pat or Trading Up
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
For reference, Draftexpress has us with Portis, NBADraft.Net with Big Frank (and Portis @17) :

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/NCAA-Freshmen/

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
At 16
I like trey lyles
Christian wood, rondae hollis Jefferson , (both are a reach at 16)

I don't like trading up cuz I don't think the guys we want would be available to where we would be able to trade up to

I would like to trade down for 2 first round picks at the bottom first round but no team has 2 picks there

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:11 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think this is a loaded draft in the top 8, amd id love to trade up for one of these guys: Wcs, winslow, porzingis, hezonja. But then there is quite a dropoff - stanley johnson's rim finishing is a serious wart, for example. There is nobody at 16, except maybe rhj, that im excited about.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I think this is a loaded draft in the top 8, amd id love to trade up for one of these guys: Wcs, winslow, porzingis, hezonja. But then there is quite a dropoff - stanley johnson's rim finishing is a serious wart, for example. There is nobody at 16, except maybe rhj, that im excited about.

If the Celtics can get Love or Monroe in FA and sign Biyombo, I'd be all for packaging #16, AB or Sully, possibly even another pick to get in the 5-7 range to grab one of the guys you mentioned.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
We should just stand pat, in terms of our draft position, imo.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I would like to trade down for 2 first round picks at the bottom first round but no team has 2 picks there
why?  if there's no one at 16 you like, why would you think having more picks further down would be an improvement?  we already have 4 picks this year.  if anything, consolidate and move up if at all possible.  #45 may not make a difference but #28 and #33 could move us a few spots up from #16. 

If the rumor of AB to Utah for #12 and Hood had any legs, I'd jump on that and then try to combine that with #28 and/or #33 to get that into the top 10.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Outside of the top two, it is a crap shoot.   Stand pat.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I can only see Ainge trading up if he sees someone he rated highly dropping. 

Do not trade up for just a higher pick.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
It'd be pretty interesting if we could steal Porzingis. It would basically take the Kings passing-so what do we thiiiink....
Stauskas?- Detroit picking Hezonja over him, and Charlotte saying we cant take the big gangly 4/5 three years in a row.

Actually Detroit really might not be the worst idea of a trade partner, sign and trade Bass and throw in a future 1st or early second on top of our pick.

Stan Van continues compiling assets for his long stay in Detroit and picks up one of his old protégés. We are closer to complete and simply need better talent.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It'd be pretty interesting if we could steal Porzingis. It would basically take the Kings passing-so what do we thiiiink....
Stauskas?- Detroit picking Hezonja over him, and Charlotte saying we cant take the big gangly 4/5 three years in a row.

Actually Detroit really might not be the worst idea of a trade partner, sign and trade Bass and throw in a future 1st or early second on top of our pick.

Stan Van continues compiling assets for his long stay in Detroit and picks up one of his old protégés. We are closer to complete and simply need better talent.
just to add on to your Detroit thought -- not that I think Detroit would trade #8 but if we could talk them into a S&T of Bass and #16 for #8, I'd be all for it.  Bass would be a much better fit next to Drummond and can defend either forward position.   might have to take a bad contract off their hands to do it but that would get us into where WCS or Stanley Johnson should be available.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

just to add on to your Detroit thought -- not that I think Detroit would trade #8 but if we could talk them into a S&T of Bass and #16 for #8, I'd be all for it.  Bass would be a much better fit next to Drummond and can defend either forward position.   might have to take a bad contract off their hands to do it but that would get us into where WCS or Stanley Johnson should be available.

Good point on the bad contract as for who that'd be well... Brandon Jennings?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o3wmut2 + Celtics 1st and early 2nd for the Detroit 8th pick.

They are about to max out Reggie Jackson and could take someone like Jerian Grant with our pick to replace Jennings.  As for our end maybe Stevens could use what he learned with Jordan Crawford and turn Jennings into a legitimate scoring compliment next to Smart. Plus 8th pick, so Stanley Johnson or Porzingis  or the like.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:43:33 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think stanley johnson or myles turner will be available for trade.. i would make a move for them

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think stanley johnson or myles turner will be available for trade.. i would make a move for them

Turner is the guy I'm moving up for (assuming WCS is out of reach).

Really nobody at #16 I'm excited about.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »

Offline GreenPride17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
We definitely need to move up. we really need to get WCS, or Stanley Johnson. We should also try to buy low on some young players like Stauskas or sign a guy like KJ Mcdaniels