Author Topic: Different ideas for the off-season.  (Read 3461 times)

Different ideas for the off-season.
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
With all our assets, we have a plethora of moves we could see play out. And while most of us are focused on the ones that seem most obvious, let's think about a few other trade, draft and FA ideas we can look at for this summer .

Getting a starting 5 who can rebound and block shots has to be one of our top priorities going into next year. Put a solid rim-protector with this group and they could deff surprise some people. Sure, DeAndre Jordan is on the market, I'm more interested in Robin Lopez but even beyond those guys there's other ways we can go.

BOS trades Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, #16 and #33 to OKC for Steven Adams, Perry Jones III and #14.

-- This trade makes all kinds of sense. The Thunder really benefited by having Enes Kanter and his offensive ability, but with him up for a big raise and someone probably bound to give it to him, they can use KO's game. They have Ibaka, McGary and our two picks in a draft filled with bigs to replace Adams, and Bradley is just the perfect complimentary piece to KD and Westbrook. PJ3 has potential.

BOS trades James Young, #28, 2016 MIA 2nd and 2016 MIN 1st/2 2nds to Houston for #18, #32 and Clint Capela

-- Capela and Young were both projects with upside taken in the mid-late 1st round. Young probably has a higher upside but Capela fits the C's needs better. He had a few flashes this season and could develop into the rebounding and defensive force we need. Plus the added bonus of moving up from #28 to #18. Combining 16 and 18 is easier to move up with than 16 and 28.

BOS trades Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, #28 and # 33 to Toronto for Jonas Valanciuncs, Tyler Hansborough and #20.

--The idea that Toronto might tear down their nucleus like they planned before last season is starting to gain steam. If they do, pulling JV out of that while moving up our second pick would be a typical Ainge value coup.

BOS trades Tyler Zeller, Evan Turner #28 and #33 to Milwaukee for John Henson and #18.

-- Henson is very long and athletic. He's just he perfect guy to match up with KO and Sully. Milwaukee has already shopped him before, and Kidd needs another ball handler with that group. Assuming you lose Middleton, Turner could be an attractive option.

BOS selects Myles Turner with the 16th overall pick.

-- Turner kinda runs funny. That's why he'll slip down draft boards. But he's an absolute monster blocking shots, which we desperately need. He also has real shooting range, which could be great for a coach like Stevens. I think if he's here and we can't trade up (or don't want to) we won't skip over Turner.

BOS signs Ed Davis to 2 year, $5M deal.

--Davis is an underrated rebounder, scorer and defensive presence in the front court. Could be a nice cheap option that would play well with our current group.

BOS trades Avery Bradley, Tyler Zeller and #16 to Charlotte for Lance Stephenson, Noah Vonleh and #9. Celtics select C W. Cauley-Stein with 9th pick.

--Bradley would be a very good fit in Charlotte. They need a guard who can play D and stretch the floor, plus his salary matches up with Stephonson (whom they're dying to get rid of) as well. Vonleh is a Josh Smith type with MA roots who never really found a place in Charlotte last year. Though I think KO is probably a better fit they'd want Zeller for his UNC roots and his brother. Plus for us, it enables us to move up and draft WCS, while also getting the ultimate Stevens reclamation project in Stephenson who, when engaged, is probably better than AB.

BOS trades James Young, #16, #33, better of 2016 DAL/BOS 1sts (Top 5 protected), 2016 BRK 1st (Unprotected), 2016 MIN 1st/2 2nds and 2018 BOS 1st (Lottery Protected) for Nerlens Noel and #3.

-- If Hinkie really believes in Embiid going forward, he and Noel just can't be on the floor together. They're too similar of players. If the opportunity to get a good haul out of him comes and the cost is moving back this year while giving himself probably 5 or 6 top 20 draft picks next year, he just might do it. Noel and Winslow would be a good start for us I think.

Now, we also need a good two-way player who can shoot from the SF spot, and I think put best chance at finding that is through the draft. There deff is options though. For example, I thought of this the other day when I was watching GS.

BOS trades #33, 2016 PHI 2nd to Golden State for Harrison Barnes, David Lee and #30.

-- Something has to give in GS. If they really want to re-sign Green, they need to move either Lee or Igudala's contracts, maybe both. This is where we come in. Barnes is a guy we've coveted a long time and I think an expanded role would show his talent more. I think we could move up in the draft in a seperate move involving one of our bigs, and that would get us the C we need.

BOS trades Gerald Wallace and 2016 MIN 1st to Philadelphia for Robert Covington.

-- Rumor has it we'll be looking to dump off Wallace in pursuit of a cleaner cap sheet. Phili would be the obvious choice to take him and the 1st required to dump him but something tells man DA will want at least a throw in. Covington could be that throw in, he proved himself to be an NBA caliber rotation player last year and he's a SF who can create his own shot a little bit. He's a cheap option.

BOS signs RFA Khris Middleton to 4 year deal, $13m per year. Milwaukee declines to match.

-- Middleton seems like the perfect guy for Boston to go after. He's an excellent defender with the ability to play the 2-3 and 4. He shoots threes and free throws very well, he's still very young and has plenty of room left to grow.

BOS trades Avery Bradley, #33 to Ok. City for Perry Jones III and #14

-- Kinda similar to the other OKC idea I had. AB gets a lot of flak around here, but he would be an IDEAL fit on a healthy Thunder squad. For whatever reason PJ3 has been stuck to the end of Scott Brooks bench but he's done well when given the minutes. Presti likes early 2nds, and the giving up of AB is lessened by #14 which we could comkmbine with #16 and use to move up rather easily.

BOS trades James Young and #28 to Washington for Otto Porter Jr.

-- Porter has been a pretty big disappointment in DC the past few years, but he started to come around a bit playing behind Pierce this year. Chances are he could be had for the right price.

BOS trades Kelly Olynyk, #16, #33 and the 2016 MIA 2nd to Detroit for #8. Celtics select Stanley Johnson.

-- The Pistons are a good candidate to move up with, as SVG wants to win and is about to lose his second best player in Monroe. Olynyk is the perfect big to play next to Drummond and SVG loves 3pt shooting bigs.

BOS trades Jared Sullinger OR Kelly Olynyk, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner,  #16 and #33 to Sacramento for #6 and Ben McLemore. Celtics select Justice Winslow.

-- Karl realizes that if Cousins doesn't force his way out this summer, he probably will next year. They have to put together a team that will compete in the west. Turner will give him a solid initiator on offense that Karl could do well with. Sully/KO is a great compliment for DMC in the front court and Bradley is a good guard to play next to Collison, Gay and Turner. Winslow is the ideal for our SF needs.

I could do that all day. Obviously any of those could be tweaked, but the point is we have so many directions to go with it this summer. Anyone else have an idea no one else might've thought about?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:58:30 PM by BDeCosta26 »

Re: Different ideas for the off-season.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
[dang] that is long.

Id sign Middleton to anything up to 16 mil a year

Id move AB to Utah (from Zach Lowe article) then use 12 along with KO or Zeller and or 16 to get into the top 10 or a solid player.

I think Ty Lawson and Taj Gibson are both interesting guys we might be able to add for some future or present 1sts.

I think Id give up KO for the Toronto 1st and flyer on Caboclo

Id love to draft RHJ, the brazillian point gaurd, Dakari Johnson, Cliff Alexander, or Tyler Harvey using either Clips 1 or 2nd round picks.

Id also look at signing Robin Lopez.

Obviously we have to pursue Aldridge, Love, Gasol, Butler, Cousins but I dont in the least expect to see any in green next year
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good job, good effort.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:09:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I still love the idea of Bradley, Zeller, and #16 and # 33 for Stephenson and # 9, but it'd only work if Charlotte doesn't love anyone in particular and wants to move back a couple of spots while picking up a good 2 guard in Bradley and dumping Stephenson.

I say do it. Smart and Stephenson is a terrifying back court defensively with huge size, and Stephenson can help Smart with the ball-handling. They'd probably need a knock-down shooter at the 3 and 4 for shooting. That could be Young and KO for now, and perhaps a Middleton type if we could get him on a reasonable deal. Or we could play small with IT, Smart, and Stephenson. The # 9 pick could probably nab us either WCS or S. Johnson, or at least make it that much easier to move up to get them. That'd leave us with a lineup of either:
PG: Smart, IT
SG: Stephenson, Turner
SF: Johnson, Young
PF: Sully, KO
C: Free Agent, ?

OR

PPG: Smart, IT
SG: Stephenson, Young
SF: Turner, Young
C: WCS, ?

The best part is if he doesn't work out, then we can just cut him after one season, because he has a team option for the 2016-2017 season. No harm done.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:16:12 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
TP

Maybe another one is something with Miami , assuming that nobody jumps over them in the lottery and they hold onto the 10th pick and don't have to send it to Philly.
16th pick, Clippers pick, 33rd and their 2016 second for the 10th?
Or if Ainge doesn't plan on paying  Sullinger down the line possibly Sullinger and the 16th for the 10th?

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still love the idea of Bradley, Zeller, and #16 and # 33 for Stephenson and # 9, but it'd only work if Charlotte doesn't love anyone in particular and wants to move back a couple of spots while picking up a good 2 guard in Bradley and dumping Stephenson.

I say do it. Smart and Stephenson is a terrifying back court defensively with huge size, and Stephenson can help Smart with the ball-handling. They'd probably need a knock-down shooter at the 3 and 4 for shooting. That could be Young and KO for now, and perhaps a Middleton type if we could get him on a reasonable deal. Or we could play small with IT, Smart, and Stephenson. The # 9 pick could probably nab us either WCS or S. Johnson, or at least make it that much easier to move up to get them. That'd leave us with a lineup of either:
PG: Smart, IT
SG: Stephenson, Turner
SF: Johnson, Young
C: Free Agent, ?

OR

PPG: Smart, IT
SG: Stephenson, Young
SF: Turner, Young
C: WCS, ?

The best part is if he doesn't work out, then we can just cut him after one season, because he has a team option for the 2016-2017 season. No harm done.

I'm certainly not a fan of Stephenson's attitude, but we've seen how effective he can be when he's engaged. With players like Smart and Crowder surrounding him (and hopefully an active big), he could really step into Bradley's role with that extra bit of ball-handling. Using 16, 33, and Zeller to move up to 9 maybe a little steep, but I'd be happy with WCS in that scenario.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

You must be Lance's agent, I would wager most do not want him.   He left INDY on a bad note and ripped off CHARLOTTE, so why would you want him here?   He is a bad influence the locker room and had a bad year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4244/lance-stephenson

Charlotte would do this trade quick because they would be ripping us off.

Check out his pregame leadership pep talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txJbuNsBis

No way Stephens would allow that to take away from prep time.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 12:14:23 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

You must be Lance's agent, I would wager most do not want him.   He left INDY on a bad note and ripped off CHARLOTTE, so why would you want him here?   He is a bad influence the locker room and had a bad year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4244/lance-stephenson

Charlotte would do this trade quick because they would be ripping us off.

Check out his pregame leadership pep talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txJbuNsBis

No way Stephens would allow that to take away from prep time.

How is it ripping us off? I think even if Stephenson would totally suck here, we'd still win the trade, because we'd essentially trade two role players, two lower first round picks and a second round pick for the chance to move up 7 spots in the draft and nab a potential future game changer in Johnson.

Also, I don't think the Smart/Bradley combo works long-term. Neither is a pure ball-handler, but even Smart is twice the ball-handler that Bradley is. Keeping Smart, we'll probably need someone at the 2 spot who can share the handles with him, which isn't Bradley at all.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'm giving you tommy points for putting so much thought into down-to-earth trade ideas.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My favorite deals are:
BOS trades Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, #16 and #33 to OKC for Steven Adams, Perry Jones III and #14.

-- This trade makes all kinds of sense. The Thunder really benefited by having Enes Kanter and his offensive ability, but with him up for a big raise and someone probably bound to give it to him, they can use KO's game. They have Ibaka, McGary and our two picks in a draft filled with bigs to replace Adams, and Bradley is just the perfect complimentary piece to KD and Westbrook. PJ3 has potential.

BOS trades #33, 2016 PHI 2nd to Golden State for Harrison Barnes, David Lee and #30.

-- Something has to give in GS. If they really want to re-sign Green, they need to move either Lee or Igudala's contracts, maybe both. This is where we come in. Barnes is a guy we've coveted a long time and I think an expanded role would show his talent more. I think we could move up in the draft in a seperate move involving one of our bigs, and that would get us the C we need.

BOS trades Kelly Olynyk, #16, #33 and the 2016 MIA 2nd to Detroit for #8. Celtics select Stanley Johnson.

-- The Pistons are a good candidate to move up with, as SVG wants to win and is about to lose his second best player in Monroe. Olynyk is the perfect big to play next to Drummond and SVG loves 3pt shooting bigs.

Harrison Barnes would absolutely be a great pickup at the 3 and if David Lee ever gets healthy enough to produce how he used to it would be an upgrade at two positions. If the Warriors are desperate to clear off salary to sign Draymond and not go over the tax I can't think of a better (realistic) use of our cap space.

I would love to get Steven Adams without giving up Avery. There was talk that if the Thunder pay Kanter they would consider dealing Adams. He is the perfect kind of Center for the C's. I'd rather give a future first than Avery though, even if it means we aren't moving up.

With the Pistons deal I would want to try and draft WCS rather than Stanley Johnson.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like the way you're thinking.  Value moves.  Paying attention to what other teams need and trying to take advantage.

Thoughts

- I'd rather keep Jerebko than sign Davis.  Better fit.

- Noel is a nice prospect and I'd love the Celts to get the #3 pick, but even Hinkie won't roll over a top pick and a very good current prospect for a boatload of future picks of indeterminate value.

- In general you seem to undervalue Bradley and Zeller.  Proven young role players on affordable contracts are worth lottery picks, or they're not worth trading.

- The Warriors will find a team to take on David Lee for picks; I really doubt they'll be forced to give up Barnes.

- The Raps are probably going to be in a position to trade one or more of their main guys to get depth and role players that fit better.  Still, I think they'll move Derozan before they'll move JV.

My favorites

- Trading AB to OKC for the #14 pick.

Makes tons of sense for OKC.  I'd love to get them to throw in Adams in return for one of the million PFs Boston has, but I don't think that's likely.

- Trading Young + #28 + #33 for Capela + #18. 

This is the kind of move Morey regularly makes, and the Rockets always need quality shooting depth.  That said, Ainge preferred Young last year, and the Rockets must like what they see with Capela, since he's getting playoff minutes.

- Trading with Charlotte to take on Lance and move up to 9. 

I don't think the Hornets need Zeller; I don't like Vonleh as a prospect, and neither did Ainge last June; Lance has negative trade value, so you have the Celts giving up too much.

Simple solution: Bradley + #16 for Lance + #9.  Keep it simple.

- Trading Wallace + Minnie pick(s) for Covington. 

If the Celts think they can use their cap space, this could be a nice move.  Covington is a shooter with size to play either forward spot.  Decent value.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
I like the way you're thinking.  Value moves.  Paying attention to what other teams need and trying to take advantage.

Thoughts

- I'd rather keep Jerebko than sign Davis.  Better fit.

- Noel is a nice prospect and I'd love the Celts to get the #3 pick, but even Hinkie won't roll over a top pick and a very good current prospect for a boatload of future picks of indeterminate value.

- In general you seem to undervalue Bradley and Zeller.  Proven young role players on affordable contracts are worth lottery picks, or they're not worth trading.

- The Warriors will find a team to take on David Lee for picks; I really doubt they'll be forced to give up Barnes.

- The Raps are probably going to be in a position to trade one or more of their main guys to get depth and role players that fit better.  Still, I think they'll move Derozan before they'll move JV.

My favorites

- Trading AB to OKC for the #14 pick.

Makes tons of sense for OKC.  I'd love to get them to throw in Adams in return for one of the million PFs Boston has, but I don't think that's likely.

- Trading Young + #28 + #33 for Capela + #18. 

This is the kind of move Morey regularly makes, and the Rockets always need quality shooting depth.  That said, Ainge preferred Young last year, and the Rockets must like what they see with Capela, since he's getting playoff minutes.

- Trading with Charlotte to take on Lance and move up to 9. 

I don't think the Hornets need Zeller; I don't like Vonleh as a prospect, and neither did Ainge last June; Lance has negative trade value, so you have the Celts giving up too much.

Simple solution: Bradley + #16 for Lance + #9.  Keep it simple.

- Trading Wallace + Minnie pick(s) for Covington. 

If the Celts think they can use their cap space, this could be a nice move.  Covington is a shooter with size to play either forward spot.  Decent value.

Thanks mate. Yeah, maybe Jerebko is a better fit because of his 3 point shooting, but Davis plays better D. And if we don't get a true rim-protector I think we should consider him.

I think with Hinkie it depends. Let's say the Lakers jump him, so he's picking at 4. Muiday and Russel are off he board. Do you take Okafor? Maybe. But I think he'd take a good long look at that kinda godfather offer.

GS is pretty short on assets to use to dump Lee. Someone may just take him for cap space, but I think we have the tools to make a deal beneficial to both sides. Say we change the 2nd Philly pick to the MIN 1st and #33 to #28. That means they're dumping Lee, clearing future salary cap on Barnes next deal and moving up a few spots in the draft. I feel pretty good about getting that done of we wanted to.

I think I have a reasonable value for both AB and Zeller. AB in particular only fits a few teams needs, OKC being the one I think of first.  Your right about Ainge not really liking Vonleh, forgot about that from last draft, maybe PJ Hairston instead? He could be a solid AB replacement should Stephenson not work out. I've also entertained the idea of trading IT to them too. Zeller is the piece in that deal that makes Charlotte say yes.

Maybe something like : BOS trades Bradley, Zeller #16 and #33 to CHA for Lance Stephenson, PJ Hairston and #9

Or to include IT: BOS trades Isaiah Thomas to CHA for Lance Stephenson, PJ Hairston and #9. No pick swap, just get #9.

I think Adams is gettable, whether or not they re-sign Kanter. OKC realizes how much having constant offense from the front court helps their guys. By giving them Olynyk, they'll be able to spread the floor for Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka. KO is like Kanter with less post game. Considering how much they could use AB, the added bonus of Olynyk, and swapping back two spots while grabbing a high 2nd (which Presti loves). That could be enough.

If we really do make a play for a high-level FA, dumping Wallace will become important. Especially if that FA is a C and we still need a SF, Covington is a serviceable player who I think would do well on a team of guys just like him.

We have a whole slew of moves we can make. Moving up is entirely possible if we're willing to give up what it will cost. Getting players like Barnes and Porter Jr will be very possible as well. It'll be interesting to see what we do.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I really like the idea of acquiring Valacunias, an actual center and a huge upgrade over that stiff Zeller.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
I really like the idea of acquiring Valacunias, an actual center and a huge upgrade over that stiff Zeller.

I would probably give up more than I suggested for JV. I think he would for perfectly with this group. But I certainly don't think Zeller is a stiff.

He's not a rim-protector, but he's a young, talented true 7 footer. he's just a different kind of player than JV or Adams. Lots of teams would love to have Zeller, he could be a key piece for us to move this summer. Hate to see him go, but I'd trade him in a second for a real defensive anchor at the 5.

Ajinca is a name I've heard talked about around here. I wouldn't mind having him either.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 09:05:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I would probably give up more than I suggested for JV. I think he would for perfectly with this group. But I certainly don't think Zeller is a stiff.

He's not a rim-protector, but he's a young, talented true 7 footer. he's just a different kind of player than JV or Adams. Lots of teams would love to have Zeller, he could be a key piece for us to move this summer. Hate to see him go, but I'd trade him in a second for a real defensive anchor at the 5.

Ajinca is a name I've heard talked about around here. I wouldn't mind having him either.

He may be 7 feet and young, but he's not talented (IMO). He's one dimensional and is a back up at best.

Not sure why you think lots of teams would love to have him.