Author Topic: DraftExpress' "Extended" Mock Draft  (Read 15260 times)

Re: DraftExpress' "Extended" Mock Draft
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 10:23:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Portis has narrow shoulders , got rocked by the kentucky trees. Martin outplayed him

Yeah, Martin is a bad man!

Let's get him!!

several mocks have us taking Martin at 28. 

Imo we would be lucky to get Martin at 28.

I don't know much about the guy, other than the fact that he looks like another tweener ::), but you'd rather take him than Harvey?

Martin is a tweener in a good way imo. How many guys 6'9 with bulk , explosiveness and skills do you see in the nba? 

I think he could turn out to be another "Draymond Green" type of steal for somebody

Actually I want both Harvey and Martin.   

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Beat LA . I'm not sure if you have seen this scouting video yet. Just to get an idea of what I'm talking about.  Check out his lateral quickness on the defensive end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fZavWjGgk

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft-extended.php

Our picks-

16. Bobby Portis

The Celtics need a true rim-protector, but that will be difficult to find at this stage of the draft. Instead, they may look to add some depth at the power forward spot, where they've been starting 30-year old Brandon Bass, who becomes a free agent this summer (as does his backup Jonas Jerebko). It's easy to understand why Boston's top-executive Danny Ainge doesn't sound overly optimistic about this year's draft, especially with recent withdrawals hurting the value of their pick.

28. Jarell Martin

With their second pick in the first round, the Celtics look to add depth. Martin is somewhat of a tweener, but he's extremely athletic and could develop into a solid contributor if he can improve the consistency of his jump-shot.

33. Chris McCullough

45. Jordan Mickey

Umm, is draftexpress supposed to be good at this, because in what universe would a quality shotblocker (I refuse to use the term rim protector) not exist past the 16th pick when Robert Upshaw would be available according to their own mock, lol ;D?

On the whole, their prediction is an absolutely atrocious draft for us, although I can sadly see such selections taking place, lol ;D. *facepalm* I honestly don't even know what to say about this mock, haha.  There's no way that Trey Lyles will still be available at 16, nor will Delon Wright slide to 30th, never mind Tyler Harvey being taken in the second round, but that's just my opinion.
Taking Upshaw at 16 would be a huge reach.  I don't see Lyles as a top 10 pick so being available at 16 isn't unreasonable.  I like Wright but he is already 23 years old so I think he's a late 1st pick.  I agree that the totality of the picks for us aren't very good.

I know, but I'm not saying to take him there.  All I am saying is that draftexpress telling us that it'll be very difficult to find another shot blocker after our first pick is ridiculous when Upshaw is still out there, imo.  Being 23 shouldn't make teams hesitant to take Wright, btw, because at his size, once he can no longer stay with point guards you can make him a 2 and/or your third guard.  Being 23 as a rookie used to be normal.  Now, all upperclassmen are automatically seen as ancient, lol ;D. *facepalm* By that logic, it's a good thing that we didn't take Jimmy Butler, because he clearly was done growing as a player (sarcasm), lol ;D. Ugh.

It's not about being done growing as a player, it's about not having the same potential growth as a player compared to a player 2-3 years younger. Especially with the strides players usually make in terms of development from their late teens to their early 20's.

Lol I know, you didn't have to explain it to me, haha ;D.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 11:00:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ummm....

So according to this article/list, Boston will look to add four (4) Power Forwards to their existing three man (four if you count Jerebko as a PF) list of Bass/Sully/Olynyk.

Hmm...yep, makes a ton of sense.

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 11:13:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Portis has narrow shoulders , got rocked by the kentucky trees. Martin outplayed him

Let's get him!!

I don't know much about the guy, other than the fact that he looks like another tweener ::), but you'd rather take him than Harvey?

Martin is a tweener in a good way imo. How many guys 6'9 with bulk , explosiveness and skills do you see in the nba? 

I think he could turn out to be another "Draymond Green" type of steal for somebody

First of all, TP for the video, although I feel that draftexpress is far too negative in every one of their video assessments.  Anyway, back to Martin.  He looks interesting, but I don't agree that he can be a draymond green type because of his javale mcgee-like passing ability, lol ;D, because part of green's versatility is his passing ability.  Martin also has short arms, so that's not good, especially for a big man, but I haven't seen enough of him to be able to form a reasonable view of the guy.  Where would you take him, btw?

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Let's get him!!

First of all, TP for the video, although I feel that draftexpress is far too negative in every one of their video assessments.  Anyway, back to Martin.  He looks interesting, but I don't agree that he can be a draymond green type because of his javale mcgee-like passing ability, lol ;D, because part of green's versatility is his passing ability.  Martin also has short arms, so that's not good, especially for a big man, but I haven't seen enough of him to be able to form a reasonable view of the guy.  Where would you take him, btw?

you know who else has short arms? Blake Griffin. Steph Curry.

Short arms does not mean = bad player in the player in NBA.   If you are a front court player, have short arms, can't jump etc. then yes the odds are against you

But Martin is strong, explosive to makeup for the lack of exceptional wingspan

Your right about Green and his passing ability. Martin does not have that. He also could improve as a shooter

But I like him. I think he would be a good fit under CBS.  Good "tweener" to bring in a replace Bass, Jerebko (don't think they are coming back. 50/50 on Jerebko)

Let me ask you, would you take Dekker over Martin?   Portis over Martin?   

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ummm....

So according to this article/list, Boston will look to add four (4) Power Forwards to their existing three man (four if you count Jerebko as a PF) list of Bass/Sully/Olynyk.

Not sure who it is you want to bring in. You have limited choices at 16 and 28.   

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 11:58:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Our picks-

16. Bobby Portis

The Celtics need a true rim-protector, but that will be difficult to find at this stage of the draft. Instead, they may look to add some depth at the power forward spot, where they've been starting 30-year old Brandon Bass, who becomes a free agent this summer (as does his backup Jonas Jerebko). It's easy to understand why Boston's top-executive Danny Ainge doesn't sound overly optimistic about this year's draft, especially with recent withdrawals hurting the value of their pick.

28. Jarell Martin

With their second pick in the first round, the Celtics look to add depth. Martin is somewhat of a tweener, but he's extremely athletic and could develop into a solid contributor if he can improve the consistency of his jump-shot.

33. Chris McCullough

45. Jordan Mickey

Umm, is draftexpress supposed to be good at this, because in what universe would a quality shotblocker (I refuse to use the term rim protector) not exist past the 16th pick when Robert Upshaw would be available according to their own mock, lol ;D?

On the whole, their prediction is an absolutely atrocious draft for us, although I can sadly see such selections taking place, lol ;D. *facepalm* I honestly don't even know what to say about this mock, haha.  There's no way that Trey Lyles will still be available at 16, nor will Delon Wright slide to 30th, never mind Tyler Harvey being taken in the second round, but that's just my opinion.
Taking Upshaw at 16 would be a huge reach.  I don't see Lyles as a top 10 pick so being available at 16 isn't unreasonable.  I like Wright but he is already 23 years old so I think he's a late 1st pick.  I agree that the totality of the picks for us aren't very good.

I know, but I'm not saying to take him there.  All I am saying is that draftexpress telling us that it'll be very difficult to find another shot blocker after our first pick is ridiculous when Upshaw is still out there, imo.  Being 23 shouldn't make teams hesitant to take Wright, btw, because at his size, once he can no longer stay with point guards you can make him a 2 and/or your third guard.  Being 23 as a rookie used to be normal.  Now, all upperclassmen are automatically seen as ancient, lol ;D. *facepalm* By that logic, it's a good thing that we didn't take Jimmy Butler, because he clearly was done growing as a player (sarcasm), lol ;D. Ugh.

Honestly, at 16, just like with every other pick, it's bpa, but we could potentially come away with Wright, Harvey, Upshaw, and whoever is left, haha ;D, and that's a hell of a haul, so to see draftexpress's prediction is pretty depressing, quite honestly.  Man, I really wish that we had those 8 second round picks this year, lol ;D.
I believe Butler was 21 years old when he was drafted and he was picked 30th.  So late 1st seems right for Wright.  I could see him as being a nice role player of the bench but not much more. 

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ummm....

Not sure who it is you want to bring in. You have limited choices at 16 and 28.
16 is a kinda sucky part of the draft lots of eh power forwards and eh pgs

I'm more excited for 28 33 and 45where there are some interesting high upside guys and potential steals. I'd be shocked if we made a selection at 16. Whether it's trading out or up I thijk ainge moves the pick
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Let's get him!!

you know who else has short arms? Blake Griffin. Steph Curry.

Short arms does not mean = bad player in the player in NBA.   If you are a front court player, have short arms, can't jump etc. then yes the odds are against you

But Martin is strong, explosive to makeup for the lack of exceptional wingspan

Your right about Green and his passing ability. Martin does not have that. He also could improve as a shooter

But I like him. I think he would be a good fit under CBS.  Good "tweener" to bring in a replace Bass, Jerebko (don't think they are coming back. 50/50 on Jerebko)

Let me ask you, would you take Dekker over Martin?   Portis over Martin?

Dekker, yes.  Portis, probably, but I haven't seen a lot of him.  I did watch a few clips, but I don't get all the fuss about the guy, quite honesty.  I'm probably wrong here, in these decisions, though, lol ;D.

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Our picks-

16. Bobby Portis

28. Jarell Martin

33. Chris McCullough

45. Jordan Mickey

Honestly, at 16, just like with every other pick, it's bpa, but we could potentially come away with Wright, Harvey, Upshaw, and whoever is left, haha ;D, and that's a hell of a haul, so to see draftexpress's prediction is pretty depressing, quite honestly.  Man, I really wish that we had those 8 second round picks this year, lol ;D.
I believe Butler was 21 years old when he was drafted and he was picked 30th.  So late 1st seems right for Wright.  I could see him as being a nice role player of the bench but not much more.

I'm not saying that he'll be a star, although Chambers would, haha ;D, but isn't that exactly what most people said about Butler, that he has 'solid role player potential,' lol ;D?

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 01:31:45 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would love R.J. Hunter. To me he has all the tools you want in a modern shooting guard. He's not electrifyingly athletic but you can put up points quickly in today's game with quick passing and a quick release. His shot, if developed, would be a major addition to our offense (lethal next to James Young). I think he'll be available until around pick 25 and I think Danny should take him.

4-way deal:

BOS sends: Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas, choice of Sullinger or Olynyk (I really think Karl chooses Olynyk), Evan Turner, 2016 BKN 1st
BOS receives: DeMarcus Cousins, Lance Stephenson

CHA sends: #9 and Lance Stephenson (negative value)
CHA receives: Avery Bradley

DEN sends: Ty Lawson, #7
DEN receives: Isaiah Thomas, #9, Evan Turner

SAC sends: DeMarcus Cousins
SAC receives: Ty Lawson, Kelly Olynyk, #7, 2016 BKN 1st

Take Tyus Jones with #16. Move up with 28 + 33 + 45 for #20. Select Hunter.

Sign Danny Green to an Avery Bradley deal. Re-sign Bass at his current contract rate and bring back Jerebko at whatever it costs (I say that because I don't imagine it being much). Try to do what you can to dump Stephenson, as well as Wallace (less important because we know he won't be a distraction).

Smart/Tyus Jones/Phil Pressey
Danny Green/[James Young]/R.J. Hunter
Jae Crowder/James Young/[Jerebko]
Jared Sullinger/Brandon Bass/Jonas Jerebko
DeMarcus Cousins/Tyler Zeller

It's a very young team. It's talented enough that they will easily make the playoffs but only as a 5th or 6th seed. Consider that Cleveland and Chicago will probably be as good if not better than they are now, Atlanta shouldn't fall out of the playoffs even if they don't retain Millsap, Washington should be better next year even if they don't retain Pierce, Milwaukee should be better, Miami and Indiana should be better next year with health, etc. However, that team has a lot of potential. Cousins will be Cousins (a beast). I'm going out on a limb and saying Sullinger would average 16/8/2.5 next to him. Smart should also be a lot better next year even if it isn't his breakout year. Zeller should be better. James Young, etc., etc. (including Brad Stevens).

In a couple years:

Smart/Jones
R.J. Hunter/Danny Green
James Young/Jae Crowder
Sullinger/Bass
Cousins/Zeller

could be a lethal 10-man rotation. Let's get it done.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
And he was still SEC player of the year....

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Showing up vs top prospects schools has a slight edge over winning SEC player of the year etc (not knocking on his accomplishment , but he clearly struggled vs Kentucky trees, martin etc.)

Portis is one of those guys that cant jump, has mediocre wingspan, narrow shoulders, does not have above avg strength.

Role player potential in the nba

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Showing up vs top prospects schools has a slight edge over winning SEC player of the year etc (not knocking on his accomplishment , but he clearly struggled vs Kentucky trees, martin etc.)

Portis is one of those guys that cant jump, has mediocre wingspan, narrow shoulders, does not have above avg strength.

Role player potential in the nba
He is only 20 though so he has time to gain strength. He was a top notch offensive rebounder in college (which usually carries over) and was excellent playing defense against smaller players on the perimeter. If we drafted him he would immediately be our best defensive 4 and has the potential to become a stretch 4 on the offensive end.

I agree that he is a going to be a solid rotation player in the NBA but probably not elite. The C's need to draft high upside guys who have all star potential, so I don't think Portis should be our first choice. But if that is who we end up with, we got a player that can immediately play in the rotation, and improve with more minutes so it wouldn't be too bad.

Getting a rotation player at 16 is not a terrible outcome, which is why I want to trade up.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19