Author Topic: DraftExpress' "Extended" Mock Draft  (Read 15266 times)

DraftExpress' "Extended" Mock Draft
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft-extended.php

DraftExpress Extended 2015 Mock Draft #1
by: DraftExpress
April 28, 2015
Our first detailed mock draft with pick-by-pick explanations using projected rosters and taking the individual needs of all 30 NBA teams into account has been released. With the official 2015 NBA Draft early entry list coming a few days, we've compiled what we already know into our first full mock draft of the year.

Our picks-

16. Bobby Portis

The Celtics need a true rim-protector, but that will be difficult to find at this stage of the draft. Instead, they may look to add some depth at the power forward spot, where they've been starting 30-year old Brandon Bass, who becomes a free agent this summer (as does his backup Jonas Jerebko). It's easy to understand why Boston's top-executive Danny Ainge doesn't sound overly optimistic about this year's draft, especially with recent withdrawals hurting the value of their pick.

28. Jarell Martin

With their second pick in the first round, the Celtics look to add depth. Martin is somewhat of a tweener, but he's extremely athletic and could develop into a solid contributor if he can improve the consistency of his jump-shot.

33. Chris McCullough

45. Jordan Mickey

Re: Draft Express "Extended" Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Err, Dear DraftExpress... PF is our deepest position in our roster besides SG.

Thanks.

Re: DraftExpress' "Extended" Mock Draft
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Portis is a quality pick because he is already a better defender at the age of 20 than KO or Sully are. He was often able to switch onto guards when opponents ran the pick and roll. I could see him playing with either KO or Sully.

Martin wouldn't be a bad late first with high upside because he's a good athlete.

Personally I would rather draft foreign players in the second to stash rather than two more americans. We can't have four rookies on our team next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:46:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Thanks.

When you look at our roster we actually have depth at every position except center and maybe SF, if you don't think Turner can play there. Our problem is upgrading our overall talent level.

I think trading up remains the strongest possibility.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Thanks.

LOL.  Right, lets use our four picks on all PF's.  What a joke!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Thanks.
Um, no it isn't. Bass and Jerebko are FAs, Olynyk is a bench body at best, and there's no telling what you'll get from Sullinger (plus he's only got a season left here anyhow). I'd absolutely take Portis if he's there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:33:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Thanks.
Um, no it isn't. Bass and Jerebko are FAs, Olynyk is a bench body at best, and there's no telling what you'll get from Sullinger (plus he's only got a season left here anyhow). I'd absolutely take Portis if he's there.

It's not about taking Portis, it's about the rationalization that Ainge should use all his 1st round picks on PFs because of depth issues in that position.

If Portis is there and you take him is because you consider him the best available, not because of depth issues.

And for all the FAs we may have, players who are redundant as it is for us, if depth was an issue they would or should be easily retainable by us if desired.

We're thinner at C and we're thinner at SF. PG is a tricky situation, but we're also technically thinner there as well. If we retain Crowder for SF purposes, that also increases our PF depth as well.

So yes, as it is, PF is our deepest position after SG. Using our picks simply because of depth issues at PF is moronic.

If you take a PF is because you're convinced or want to try to upgrade talent from what we already have.

According to them, Bass was our starter and Jerebko was his backup... that's also false.

Yes Bass currently started, but Sullinger was our starter before he got injured. And Jerebko is not really our main PF backup. So the premise they're going by is simply false, or at the very least, quite flawed.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm a huge DX fan but I think they dropped the ball with claiming this draft factored in team need then have the Cs drafting 4 PFs. True BPA maybe a PF at each of the Cs picks and this would lead them to trading around but for the sake of speculation I think they could have looked else where with the Cs mock picks. I could see the #16 pick being Portis or Lyles as both project as good all around PFs as they develop. KO and Sully both have and will always have defensive limitation do to their physical profiles. Portis and Lyles will not have this problem as both are long and mobile.

Using DX's mock to establish other teams picks I would predict the Cs to take,

#16 Portis/Lyles, toss up that will come down to workouts. Lyles is younger and longer but Portis was very productive in college. Both solid future PFs.

#28 Aleksandar Vezenkov, I admit I know nothing about this kid other then he is putting up great numbers in Greek league and more importantly the FIBA U20 and U19. 6'8 and can shoot. This would be the pick I would try to trade up to get RHJ if he is available in the 20s.

#34 Dakari Johnson, he may have his limitation but he is a big strong kid with a post game. Not often team find bigs with legit size and potential in the 2nd round. Well worth a shot

#45 Moussa Diagne or Aaron Harrison, if the Cs are thinking draft and stash I'd take the shot on the raw but promising ACB bigman. If looking for a guy to compete for a spot Harrison is a great pick this late. He was underwhelming at UK but came it really highly touted and has the talent to make it in the league.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Thanks.

We're not deep anywhere. We could use upgrades at every position with the POSSIBLE exception of PG. That being said, we have dire needs at the C and scoring wing spots. I would hesitate to take a C at 16 but you might be able to get a good wing..

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:25:17 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'll be fine with Dakari Johnson.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm a huge DX fan but I think they dropped the ball with claiming this draft factored in team need then have the Cs drafting 4 PFs. True BPA maybe a PF at each of the Cs picks and this would lead them to trading around but for the sake of speculation I think they could have looked else where with the Cs mock picks. I could see the #16 pick being Portis or Lyles as both project as good all around PFs as they develop. KO and Sully both have and will always have defensive limitation do to their physical profiles. Portis and Lyles will not have this problem as both are long and mobile.

Using DX's mock to establish other teams picks I would predict the Cs to take,

#16 Portis/Lyles, toss up that will come down to workouts. Lyles is younger and longer but Portis was very productive in college. Both solid future PFs.

#28 Aleksandar Vezenkov, I admit I know nothing about this kid other then he is putting up great numbers in Greek league and more importantly the FIBA U20 and U19. 6'8 and can shoot. This would be the pick I would try to trade up to get RHJ if he is available in the 20s.

#34 Dakari Johnson, he may have his limitation but he is a big strong kid with a post game. Not often team find bigs with legit size and potential in the 2nd round. Well worth a shot

#45 Moussa Diagne or Aaron Harrison, if the Cs are thinking draft and stash I'd take the shot on the raw but promising ACB bigman. If looking for a guy to compete for a spot Harrison is a great pick this late. He was underwhelming at UK but came it really highly touted and has the talent to make it in the league.
Is Vezenkov coming to the NBA next year or is he a stash player? If we can't trade up I would be happy with two draft picks and two stashed players.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
NBADraft.net has us taking Chris McCullough with the 28th pick and Christian Wood going next to the Nets.  I'd cry if that happened.  I like Wood from UNLV and if he was there at 28, would hope Danny would take him.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 12:05:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I still hope we package #16 and #28 and move up.

Really nobody outside the top-12 or so makes me happy.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Trade 16, 28 and 45 (plus whatever filler) to Denver for 7. Draft Winslow/Hezonja

Draft Upshaw at 33

I'd be SUPER HAPPY with Hezonja and Upshaw

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:45:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Trade 16, 28 and 45 (plus whatever filler) to Denver for 7. Draft Winslow/Hezonja

Draft Upshaw at 33

I'd be SUPER HAPPY with Hezonja and Upshaw
that package won't get you over 12 if you're lucky.  going to need another first or a player to get into the top 9 or so