Author Topic: Barnes dissing NBA for just 2 game suspension on JR  (Read 6452 times)

Barnes dissing NBA for just 2 game suspension on JR
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »

Offline 34truth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • ubuntu
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/matt-barnes-calls-j-r-smiths-2-game-suspension-a-joke/#5YoDHe54rHCJeo8R.97

just grew a bit on me, cause he wasnt scared to say the truth. This is not a 2 game suspension come on guys he deserved more...

Re: Barnes dissing NBA for just 2 game suspension on JR
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I don't agree with the punishment either, but then again CLE probably thinks Kelly's 1 game suspension is too little as well

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Wow, and that's coming from a guy who is very familiar with intentional takedowns.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Good for Barnes.  He's right, especially pointing out how both he and JR have similar history with techs/suspensions in the league. 

2 games for a closed fist to the face?  Just the NBA playing favorites.  Again. 

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Heh, I'm not Barnes' biggest fan as a player but he's absolutely on point with his comments here.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Yea, but what is the value of a playoff game, vs. a regular season game suspension.  That's the only way I can look at it.  Two games with a suspended starter, and one injured, in the playoffs - possibly costs you two games in a series and likely knocks you out.  The KO suspension is about as harsh a punishment as having him run one extra lap at the end of a practice.  I bet they took Love being injured into account.  If Love did not get hurt, Smith might have gotten a 5 game suspension, but clearly they are looking for balance in handing out penalties.  I bet the players union has some real influence in suspensions as well.  If it is too harsh a penalty, the union surely will start some sort of action to defend a player.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's not the first time that he has brought up the topic of himself when assessing the suspensions and fines of other players.  He is right though.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yea, but what is the value of a playoff game, vs. a regular season game suspension.  That's the only way I can look at it.  Two games with a suspended starter, and one injured, in the playoffs - possibly costs you two games in a series and likely knocks you out.  The KO suspension is about as harsh a punishment as having him run one extra lap at the end of a practice.  I bet they took Love being injured into account.  If Love did not get hurt, Smith might have gotten a 5 game suspension, but clearly they are looking for balance in handing out penalties.  I bet the players union has some real influence in suspensions as well.  If it is too harsh a penalty, the union surely will start some sort of action to defend a player.

Artest got 7 games in 2012, some if not most of the games spilled into the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

You could easily see how KO's suspension is worse than JR's.  Kelly will lose 1/82nd of his total salary next year.  You get paid in the playoffs by the team for what rounds you make it into.  JR is in the second round, he isn't losing money.  Is he even really the difference between Cleveland winning and losing to go to the next round?  I'd say no, you might think more of him than me though.  I'd still say if he is such a difference maker he has 5 other games in which to make that difference.

And what about Crowder?  He doesn't get knocked out, maybe he makes the difference in that game and carries the Celtics to a historic comeback and they go to the next round.  He didn't do anything wrong, where is his money?

The NBA is so anti Celtic, pro superstar it is pathetic.  Did Wade get suspended for hurting Thomas this year?  He had a foul that caused an injury.  It was unnecessary.  He even stared Thomas down and dropped the ball on him while he was down hurt.

The only thing that could p--- me off more than this is if the NFL let the Jets off with only a piddly little fine for almost word for word tampering with Revis and then signing him after.  Wait, they did what....? >:(

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
That's the purpose of rules. I can't imagine the same scenario in life, for instance, I commit a crime and the judge telling me "since your wife is very ill and can't take care of your kids by herself, we let go on your jail time and you do social work at home."

You can't argue a penalty, JR smith is repeat offender, he purposely knock someone in the face and violently some more. It should have been between 5 to 10 games whatever playoff or not, whatever he's the kindest person in nba and play for Philly. Who cares, a crime is a crime.
Crowder should make a lawsuit as a private person too (if that's allow)

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 03:27:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It should have been between 5 to 10 games whatever playoff or not
Yeah, that's not how it works. The relative importance of one game is higher in the playoffs than it is in the regular season. So suspensions are handed out accordingly.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Yeah, that's not how it works. The relative importance of one game is higher in the playoffs than it is in the regular season. So suspensions are handed out accordingly.

Except for the fact that isn't true that would be a good excuse.  As pointed out earlier, Ron Artest got 7 games, six of which were playoff games for an elbow that I'd say wasn't nearly as bad as Smith's punch and didn't cause as bad an injury.  You could say it was Artest's history but JR Smith has just as bad a history for an elbow and a hit to the groin just this year.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Except for the fact that isn't true that would be a good excuse.  As pointed out earlier, Ron Artest got 7 games, six of which were playoff games for an elbow that I'd say wasn't nearly as bad as Smith's punch and didn't cause as bad an injury.  You could say it was Artest's history but JR Smith has just as bad a history for an elbow and a hit to the groin just this year.

I agree to the point where you compared Artest's elbow to Harden's neck to JR's punch. They are probably equally as bad and probably as damaging. Harden was on the open space, had he been boxing out, it probably would've been more serious as well.

But yes, I do agree, he should've been suspended 5-10 games, playoff or not, and I do think Artest's example is a good comparison on the length of the suspension 

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:07:22 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

"How it works" meaning how the NBA interprets rules to the benefit of its own TV ratings? They don't dole out shorter punishments in the playoffs to be fair, or to follow any sort of written rule. They do it to keep their money makers on the court.

If punishments hurt the team more in the playoffs, then maybe players shouldn't punch someone on the basketball court. Talk about coddling grown *** adults. In virtually any other profession they'd lose their job.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Artest got 7 games in 2012, some if not most of the games spilled into the playoffs.

Almost all of those games spilled into the playoffs.

However, Artest got 1 playoff game for this in 2011, which seems to be closer to the Smith hit than the elbow to the head from 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PJiuPYUfWGg
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.