Author Topic: How Dallas' summer impacts us  (Read 9417 times)

Re: How Dallas' summer impacts us
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Dallas is going to throw money at the top free agents.  Boston is probably going to chase after some of those same free agents.

For a hypothetical max-level player who thinks winning is more important than taxes or weather or nightlife, what should be more attractive....playing with Nowitzki and Parsons in Dallas or playing for Stevens in Boston?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Dallas is going to throw money at the top free agents.  Boston is probably going to chase after some of those same free agents.

For a hypothetical max-level player who thinks winning is more important than taxes or weather or nightlife, what should be more attractive....playing with Nowitzki and Parsons in Dallas or playing for Stevens in Boston?
We don't really have to beat out Dallas for top free agents, we have to make sure they have to overpay to get those free agents, so they aren't able to get enough quality additions to make the playoffs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Would it though?  We'd still have BKL firsts in 17 & 18.  And the Memphis pick, plus our own after this year.  Also, any other all star player is probably going to cost you Smart. 

Dirk is durable, has at least 2 solid years left.  CBS has made it clear he wants to win at this level, if Ainge intends to see him though the entirety of that deal he'd be well served to get a bit more short-sighted, imho.

your plan is to add two 37 yr old players to compete for a title? Dirk is a below average defender at this point , and wouldn't waive a no trade clause to come here anyways.

Danny is not trading assets away to be a #5 seed in the east for 2 years

the targets will be Love, Gasol, Butler, Monroe types . Not a former all star at the end of his career

you have a point.  on paper it seems pretty risky, especially the part about the two 37 year olds...

that said, Dirk was leading the best offense in the NBA before Rondo came over.  Both he and Pierce have been able to stay relatively injury-free throughout their careers.  and when you consider the contracts they would be on (ie not max & short) we'd have great flexibility to move on quickly if both retire the year after.  seems like a high-floor type of risk, all things considered. 

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Dirk only makes 8.3 mil next season , only issue for them is if Parsons knee knocks him out a substantial portion of next season , they only  have 3 or 4 players on their books for next season , you know Cuban is going to open up the purse strings to put a quality product on the floor.
If it is heading south with all the tough competition in the west you would think that getting down to that 25 win range to potentially protect the top 7 pick would require a New York Knick level of drop off, Mark Cuban has too much pride you would think for that.Hopefully from the Celtics position we can get a late lottery pick out of them.Fingers crossed on Brooklyn though. ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:44:19 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

We don't really have to beat out Dallas for top free agents, we have to make sure they have to overpay to get those free agents, so they aren't able to get enough quality additions to make the playoffs.

Well, let's say Memphis decides to rebuild and let Marc Gasol go somewhere else.  (They won't, but let's use this as an example.)  Gasol probably will have his choice of max offers.  If he cares most about going where his chances of a title are maximized, who should he rank higher: Dallas or Boston?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Well, let's say Memphis decides to rebuild and let Marc Gasol go somewhere else.  (They won't, but let's use this as an example.)  Gasol probably will have his choice of max offers.  If he cares most about going where his chances of a title are maximized, who should he rank higher: Dallas or Boston?
Definitely Dallas.

But fortunately for us, there are lots of other teams that will be more attractive than both Dallas and Boston. With us having Dallas pick, I will be rooting for two things in free agency 1. Players to come to Boston 2. Players not to go to Dallas.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

The tax thing is WAY overplayed by fans who don't understand how taxes work for professional athletes.  They pay taxes where they work, which is in every city.  So for Maverick players, they pay taxes on every game away from home, except obviously cities in States without income taxes.  So you only save at most 50% but that isn't really even true because if you played in Minnesota you wouldn't be taxed on the games in states without income tax either, which once or twice a year includes Dallas.

Still, for players with endorsements it can be a big deal, not that saving 50% isn't a big deal but then again, you have to live in Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston and it can be incredibly hot.

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I've been to Dallas and the nightlife isn't exactly a selling point.

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I love what this pick can become.  You just never know though until the time comes because of their owner and the West.

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

not sure where you got the idea that nightlife was happening in Dallas, also the point was that hypothetical free agent may not be playing with Parsons for much of next season.

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Consider my mention of nightlife as laying the groundwork in case this discussion expands beyond Boston vs Dallas and includes other cities.

Or what if by "nightlife" I mean which city has better strip clubs?  How does Boston compare to Dallas in that category?

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

If they lose Chandler,Rondo and Ellis , they might as well trade Dirk to a contender for more picks , and to suck so they don't give up that pick for a few years ...

How about us?

Dallas gets:  AB, their choice of Kelly/Sully + 2015 Bos 1st, 2015 Phi 2nd, 2016 Bkl 1st, & their own 2016 option back

Boston gets:  Dirk

If Dallas really wants to move him, they'd be hard pressed to get a better offer than what amounts to nearly 4 firsts when you consider that Philly 2nd will come in the low 30s.  Plus they get AB, solid young player on a good contract. 

For the C's, you can't really imagine a better fit in Steven's offense than Dirk Nowitski.  He's still got a little left in the tank, so why not maximize his opportunity by coming over to the East?  In Boston, alongside IT and Smart, he'd have quite a revival.  And if we can pull off a trade like that, who knows maybe Paul Pierce decides to come back too?  If all that was put in front of Dirk, I'd bet dollars to donuts he'd waive that no-trade clause.

whoah, that is the kind of trade that ruins franchises. AB and sully are both worth 1sts. add 3 more potential lottery picks, plus an early second rounder? that package should get us a much better player than 37-year old dirk.

i have little interest in dirk at this point anyways, the guy is pretty  much just a jump shooter now, he has no slashing or rebounding skills, and his defense has gone from bad to awful. the most i'd give for him would be wallace + dallas 2016 1st + philly second (which dallas wouldn't do). and even then it's probably a a pointless deal for us, as he'll be completely done by the time we get the pieces around him for a championship.

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Ainge doesn't have an emotional attachment and the ownership allows him to have final say. Cuban has an emotional attachment and he has final say. According to reports he's the one that pushed for the Rodman signing and the Rondo and Odom trades.

I'm picturing the scene as it looked around the Rondo trade table:

It's a Friday night and Danny Ainge approaches a bunch of potential trade partners with his offer

"Hello.  My name is Danny Ainge and my product is Rajon Rondo.  Rajon Rondo is an all-star point guard who will solve all of your floor distribution problems.  I'm asking for a couple of first round draft picks and a few throwaway players in exchange for this athlete.

Imagine this: You have a great defense.  You have players who can score.  But nobody can get them the ball!  Now, that problem is solved with the new Rajon Rondo point guard.  He consistently leads the league in assists and is often willing to pass up an easy lay-up just for the opportunity to kick that ball out to the corner and get another assist.  He rebounds, plays Connect 4 and occasionally tries on defense.  Now, who's going to be the first to get the all-new Rondo."

Cuban: What's Rondo's history?

DA: Rondo is a world champion, having led the Celtics to the title in 2008.

Cuban: 2008?  That's a long time ago.  What has happened since?  It sounds like he has gone downhill.

DA: It's not him, it's the team around him.  His teammates aged and we haven't picked up any superstars.  Then, we traded two of the Big 3 to Brooklyn for their entire future.

Billy King: It's true.

Sam Hinkie: I heard that he got injured.  But I'm always willing to make a deal.  Give me Rondo, the three picks from Brooklyn and your 2017 first-rounder and I'll give you a protected 2nd rounder in 2027.

DA: Sam, thank you so much for the offer.  I have to pass, though.  My partners would never go for it.

SH: Okay, we'll make the 2017 pick a second rounder.

DA: No deal.

Billy King: Look, you guys already took advantage of me once, and after last season, I'm afraid to go out in public.  In fact, anyone with whom I've ever traded has taken advantage of me.  I like the idea of using your Rondo with Garnett, but I just have no experience in the field of winning.  I'm out.

Mitch Kupchak: You dodged the injury question.  Didn't Rondo get injured a couple of years ago?

DA: He did tear his ACL a few years ago, but he's been perfectly fine since.  Well, except when he "slipped in the shower" and broke his hand.  On the plus side, he didn't get a concussion from banging his head on the door.

MK: I'd love to have the guy, since Kobe needs somebody to talk with on the bench, but I just don't have any cap space.  I'm out.

SH: Let me throw another proposal at you...

Ryan McDonough: Uh oh, here it comes...

SH: Be quiet Ryan.  Look, there's a reason I'm called Mr. Draftpick.  I've got a bunch of them.  So here's what I'm going to do.  I'll give you a 2034 first-rounder for nothing.  In exchange, however, I get 10% of all the points that Rondo scores until we make the playoffs.  After that, I'll drop it down to 5%.

DA: Um, Sam, I don't think we can do that. 

SH: Then you're dead to me.  I'm out.

Voiceover: Two individuals remain.  Ryan McDonough once worked for Ainge and knows how he thinks.  Mark Cuban, though, is looking to make a big splash.

MC: Okay, I'm interested.  I don't know if you have a real business here, but I'm in it to win it and I like to see my name in the paper.  Besides, I have so much money that I can simply buy the NBA if I don't like the way it turns out.  Here's what I'll do: I'll give you a potential first with weak protection, along with Brandan Wright and Jameer Nelson, in exchange for the remaining 40% of Rondo's potential.

SH: Whoa, Cuban comes out swinging!  Ainge, you're crazy not to take the deal.

BK: It's true.  He's only giving you one draft pick in exchange for a potential disappointment, while I gave you three, so it's not as good a deal.  But it's better than anyone else will offer you.

RM: Look, I just can't top that one.  I'm out.
MC: So I'm the only one left.  I'm setting the 24-second clock.

DA: Can I have a minute to talk to my partners?

MC: 24 seconds.  Starting now!

DA steps into the hall.  We can hear him talking into the phone, "Look, it sounds like a pretty good deal.  Uh-huh, yeah, I know that's how Costner did it in that movie.  But that's the same guy who chose to be in Waterworld.  I'm not using his methods.  Okay, thanks, goodbye."  DA re-enters the room.

MC: So what's it going to be Danny, Yes...or...no?

DA: I need one more player.  Throw in another first-rounder.

BK: You're crazy.  Cuban, don't do it.  That's how he screwed me.

MC: I can't do it.  But I'll throw in Jae Crowder.  He'll try lots of 3-pointers and you can nickname him "Clam."  And you have to throw in Dwight Powell.

DA: Mark, I also want season tickets to the Mavs games.  You have a deal!

Applause is heard and the GMs all congratulate DA as the closing credits roll.

RM: Mark, you're crazy.

MC: No way.  I'm feeling good about this one.  An all-star guard for a draft pick that will never be a lottery pick since we are going to be so good for the next decade?  I hosed that guy.

MK: Sure, Mark.  Hey, give me a call if you want to talk about Kobe...

Mike

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
The only way getting Dirk in Green makes any sense is if it costs very little to do so. Doesn't really make any sense.

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For the people saying they will not trade Dirk , why not ?

He clearly only has 2-3 years left in his career, and is on the decline , but he still has value to a contender ( Wash, SA, Hou,Mem)

If Rondo,Ellis,Chandler all leave , and Parson needs micro surgery on his knee, what is the point of keeping Dirk around?

They went for it this year ,and it just didn't work out . I don't see how they can get better next year in the west

This has a Dirk trade written all over it if you don't look at it with hopeful thinking, hoping that they will land a top 10 picks for the c's. It makes no sense for their organization.
Because it would be a PR nightmare. He took less than half of what he deserved last year to stay with the team that drafted him. Turning around and dealing him after he agreed to such a team friendly deal would not be a good look for the Mavs. The only way they deal him is if he asked to be dealt and I doubt that happens.
KG took a team friendly deal and got traded. Who knows Dirk might want to be traded to chase one more ring, it could be a mutual agreement.
Dirk took a 65 percent pay cut to resign with the mavs leaving reported max contract offers from the Lakers and Houston on the table. KG's contract included a non trade clause and was nowhere near a team friendly contract for his production and age in that 2012 season, KG is all about the money and always has been. Why do you think he didn't even contemplate a buyout with the Nets to sign with a legit contender this season at the trade deadline. That guy wouldn't give up one cent to do so.
Guys like Dirk and Tim Duncan put their money where their mouth is Garnett not so much.

KG signed a below-market extension to facilitate the trade to the Celtics, and also waived part of his trade kicker, I believe.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes