Author Topic: How Dallas' summer impacts us  (Read 9401 times)

Re: How Dallas' summer impacts us
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Why are Monta and Tyson leaving?

That doesn't make sense to me. They were talking about them being part of the core of a post-Dirk Mavs squad just a few months ago.

They talk about the Dallas situation at the beginning on this podcast. The conversation starts with Rondo, but then shifts to Ellis.

https://grantland.com/podcasts/all/
APRIL 24, 2015
NBA After Dark

Juliet, Chris, and Sharp talk Rondo with Tim MacMahon, then discuss the Thunder with Royce Young. Also, Dave Hartley from the War on Drugs stops by to chat about the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This is working out perfectly for us.  They aren't going to tank with Dirk in the twilight of his career and looking for another title.  Dirk, whatever they get out of Parsons, and the free agents they sign are not enough for the playoffs, but that's definitely not a bottom 7 team.  And they'll sign a few free agents; Texas is a desirable place from a weather/tax standpoint and players want to play for Mark Cuban.  Add this all up and I think we're looking at a mid to late lottery pick next year.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Why would Dragic leave a better situation (Miami) for less money in Dallas?

Dragic will be a free agent beginning July 1, but that isn’t expected to be a drawn-out process. The Heat mortgaged much of its future on Dragic (two first-round draft picks) at the trade deadline, and Riley is confident the former Phoenix Suns starter will be back.

“If he doesn’t sign, my ass is going to be in that seat, and I’ll be writing about it,” Riley said to a reporter.
Are you saying he'll accept his player option or decline and resign? I can't imagine he would just accept. He's been underpaid for this entire contract and he's 28.

If Miami pays to keep him the Mavs than the Mavs either have to find some flawed ball handler and hope Dirk can work his magic again and make Monta or someone similar look like a star, or they have to blow it up and trade Dirk. I don't think Cuban would blow it up though. I don't know if he ever has.

He's going to opt out and re-sign on a 5 year deal.

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
He's going to opt out and re-sign on a 5 year deal.
Hmm... I can't imagine Dragic would turn down 5 years at good money or that the Mavs would beat it so maybe you're right. The heat would be in a tough spot if they did that though. So much committed to Bosh and Dragic and they won't be better than 5-8 seed for the next couple of years.

I don't think there's a great ball handler out there other than Dragic, personally.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
For the people saying they will not trade Dirk , why not ?

He clearly only has 2-3 years left in his career, and is on the decline , but he still has value to a contender ( Wash, SA, Hou,Mem)

If Rondo,Ellis,Chandler all leave , and Parson needs micro surgery on his knee, what is the point of keeping Dirk around?

They went for it this year ,and it just didn't work out . I don't see how they can get better next year in the west

This has a Dirk trade written all over it if you don't look at it with hopeful thinking, hoping that they will land a top 10 picks for the c's. It makes no sense for their organization.

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He clearly only has 2-3 years left in his career, and is on the decline , but he still has value to a contender ( Wash, SA, Hou,Mem)

If Rondo,Ellis,Chandler all leave , and Parson needs micro surgery on his knee, what is the point of keeping Dirk around?

They went for it this year ,and it just didn't work out . I don't see how they can get better next year in the west

This has a Dirk trade written all over it if you don't look at it with hopeful thinking, hoping that they will land a top 10 picks for the c's. It makes no sense for their organization.
Because it would be a PR nightmare. He took less than half of what he deserved last year to stay with the team that drafted him. Turning around and dealing him after he agreed to such a team friendly deal would not be a good look for the Mavs. The only way they deal him is if he asked to be dealt and I doubt that happens.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Because it would be a PR nightmare. He took less than half of what he deserved last year to stay with the team that drafted him. Turning around and dealing him after he agreed to such a team friendly deal would not be a good look for the Mavs. The only way they deal him is if he asked to be dealt and I doubt that happens.
KG took a team friendly deal and got traded. Who knows Dirk might want to be traded to chase one more ring, it could be a mutual agreement.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

KG took a team friendly deal and got traded. Who knows Dirk might want to be traded to chase one more ring, it could be a mutual agreement.
Dirk took a 65 percent pay cut to resign with the mavs leaving reported max contract offers from the Lakers and Houston on the table. KG's contract included a non trade clause and was nowhere near a team friendly contract for his production and age in that 2012 season, KG is all about the money and always has been. Why do you think he didn't even contemplate a buyout with the Nets to sign with a legit contender this season at the trade deadline. That guy wouldn't give up one cent to do so.
Guys like Dirk and Tim Duncan put their money where their mouth is Garnett not so much.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:36:54 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Dirk took a 65 percent pay cut to resign with the mavs leaving reported max contract offers from the Lakers and Houston on the table. KG's contract included a non trade clause and was nowhere near a team friendly contract for his production his last season, KG is all about the money and always has been.

We'll see , if they are smart, they will trade him for a few picks and likely pick up a few top 5 picks in the next few years, and make the celtics wait.

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I believe Dirk has a no-trade clause, doesn't he? If so, he's only moving if he wants to.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Mavs will be very interesting to watch,

Cuban has been quoted in the past saying that he would tank if it was best for the franchise. I'm just not sure he would trade Dirk after he took a play cut to stay with the team. Only way I see that happening is to a team that Dirk is excited to play the next few years with.

Maybe to Indy?

If not a Tank job I can see them taking some gambles with their roster. Maybe they try to replace Rondo and Ellis with Stephenson in an attempt to put him in a position to rebound from his terrible season?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

If they lose Chandler,Rondo and Ellis , they might as well trade Dirk to a contender for more picks , and to suck so they don't give up that pick for a few years ...

How about us?

Dallas gets:  AB, their choice of Kelly/Sully + 2015 Bos 1st, 2015 Phi 2nd, 2016 Bkl 1st, & their own 2016 option back

Boston gets:  Dirk

If Dallas really wants to move him, they'd be hard pressed to get a better offer than what amounts to nearly 4 firsts when you consider that Philly 2nd will come in the low 30s.  Plus they get AB, solid young player on a good contract. 

For the C's, you can't really imagine a better fit in Steven's offense than Dirk Nowitski.  He's still got a little left in the tank, so why not maximize his opportunity by coming over to the East?  In Boston, alongside IT and Smart, he'd have quite a revival.  And if we can pull off a trade like that, who knows maybe Paul Pierce decides to come back too?  If all that was put in front of Dirk, I'd bet dollars to donuts he'd waive that no-trade clause.

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

If they lose Chandler,Rondo and Ellis , they might as well trade Dirk to a contender for more picks , and to suck so they don't give up that pick for a few years ...

How about us?

Dallas gets:  AB, their choice of Kelly/Sully + 2015 Bos 1st, 2015 Phi 2nd, 2016 Bkl 1st, & their own 2016 option back

Boston gets:  Dirk

If Dallas really wants to move him, they'd be hard pressed to get a better offer than what amounts to nearly 4 firsts when you consider that Philly 2nd will come in the low 30s.  Plus they get AB, solid young player on a good contract. 

For the C's, you can't really imagine a better fit in Steven's offense than Dirk Nowitski.  He's still got a little left in the tank, so why not maximize his opportunity by coming over to the East?  In Boston, alongside IT and Smart, he'd have quite a revival.  And if we can pull off a trade like that, who knows maybe Paul Pierce decides to come back too?  If all that was put in front of Dirk, I'd bet dollars to donuts he'd waive that no-trade clause.

dirk alone won't put us over the top . I see him going to a legit contender . It would be foolish to trade our assets for a 37 year old player on the decline.

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

dirk alone won't put us over the top . I see him going to a legit contender . It would be foolish to trade our assets for a 37 year old player on the decline.

Would it though?  We'd still have BKL firsts in 17 & 18.  And the Memphis pick, plus our own after this year.  Also, any other all star player is probably going to cost you Smart. 

Dirk is durable, has at least 2 solid years left.  CBS has made it clear he wants to win at this level, if Ainge intends to see him though the entirety of that deal he'd be well served to get a bit more short-sighted, imho. 

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Would it though?  We'd still have BKL firsts in 17 & 18.  And the Memphis pick, plus our own after this year.  Also, any other all star player is probably going to cost you Smart. 

Dirk is durable, has at least 2 solid years left.  CBS has made it clear he wants to win at this level, if Ainge intends to him though the entirety of that deal he'd be well served to get a bit more short-sighted, imho.

your plan is to add two 37 yr old players to compete for a title? Dirk is a below average defender at this point , and wouldn't waive a no trade clause to come here anyways.

Danny is not trading assets away to be a #5 seed in the east for 2 years

the targets will be  Cousins, Love, Gasol, Butler, Monroe types . Not a former all star at the end of his career